• Aaron's mom

Smile What's your best Disney World tip?

Care to help?
    I am wanting to create a list of useful/helpful tips to share with the families that I do wish trips for. For many families this is their first time to Disney and really have no idea where to begin.
    Maybe you have a dining suggestion? A don't miss attraction? Something you wish someone told you before your first trip? Any parents out there of a "wish child" that did the Disney trip and have a suggestion for other parents of a "wish child" or special needs child.
    I'm the parent of a "wish child" who did the Disney trip and I know, first hand, the joy this trip can bring to a sick child faced with so many uncertainties in their young lives. I'm hoping a list of tips might make the Disney experience a little easier.
    Thanks for your help!

"What would you like most to do - what is your dream?"
    Proud volunteer for the Dream Factory of
    St. Louis.
    check out web site: www.stldreamfactory.org

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: What's your best Disney World tip?

Best place to relax in the Magic Kingdom? The Tomorrowland Transit Authority. One ride and you'll be hooked.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Don't forget to stop and smell the ingeniously developed electronic roses that use advance technology to actually "appear" to grow.

• Banned User

Before watching Illuminations at EPCOT... take a look at the flags over the American Adventure and the shops on the opposite side of the lagoon, so you can figure out which way the wind is blowing... then head to the side of the lagoon from where the wind originates... That way, you will have the smoke from the fireworks go away from you once the show starts and you can appreciate the fireworks better.

• Pixiedust?

My cousin's best friend is a Make-A-Wish child with cancer and he did a trip to WDW though Make-A-Wish about a year ago. He loved the Magic Kingdom, but he also liked Test Track at Epcot because it was exciting to him. There is a place down in Orlando where children who are sick can stay free usually.

But the one thing I wish someone told me before I went to Walt Disney World the first time would be, to at least try to go on everything once if it doesn't look like you're going to get the bejeebus scared out of you, because most aren't that scary.

Oh, and make sure to see Illuminations, Wishes, and Fantasmic! They're all really different, but still good. Depending on the child' age, you may want to let them know about the High School Musical parade, which I like because I love High School Musical anyways. Plus, if you decide to book a family on property, take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours. Make dinner reservations at least 60 days in advance usually, and you can find the menus for restaurants here, www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm, so you could choose restaurants to book for them depending on what they like.

Last edited by LilRah08; 05-20-2007 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Found the link I wanted :)

.. a dream is a wish your heart makes

• She was sweet as a peach

Start your day early! Try to get there when the park opens and go to your favorite rides first.

• Attn. Space Travelers....

To get free parking for EPCOT, park at Boardwalk and tell them your dining at one of the restaurants (i.e. ESPN club)....then just walk to the back gates!!
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Umm, we try not to talk about that so it remains free...
    -Bill

• Purple Crates ♥

Quote Originally Posted by Space Junk View Post
    To get free parking for EPCOT, park at Boardwalk and tell them your dining at one of the restaurants (i.e. ESPN club)....then just walk to the back gates!!

• Done and Gone

Quote Originally Posted by jane2073 View Post
    Start your day early! Try to get there when the park opens and go to your favorite rides first.
    I second this. I am NOT a morning person. But while at WDW my wife converts me. I've had much better experiences with the Extra Morning hours, than with the evening hours.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Umm, we try not to talk about that so it remains free...
    Actually... I have heard from a CM who works there at the Boardwalk, they are concidering installing pay booths like the ones they have at the Swan and Dolphin, and guests would have to validate parking tickets at the restaurants they use (such as ESPN)...to get free parking. Or else, you will be charged a fee on the way out. Have you Bill heard about this?? Hotel guests would continue to receive free parking.

If you get to Epcot when it opens make a dash to the character station photo place. I think they move it around so you may want to ask a CM. You can get some great character pictures real quick. Everyone is making a mad dash to Soarin' or Test Track so it is usually empty. Another tip we use is to bring some of those koolaid type individual packs. They are good for around a 20 ounce drink - don't hold me to the amount. It adds a little flavor when you refill your water container. Also get to Magic Kingdom when it opens and make a beeline to Fantasyland. You can get all those rides out of the way quickly first thing when the park opens.

Maybe its a karma thing but we always give away any fastpasses we aren't going to use. Because we have four of us but most times only two want to ride we get all four FPs. Sometimes when we get back we may just ride it once leaving a spare set. It is fun to see people's faces when they are fixing to have a long wait and you offer them a FP. In return we have received many FP by others.

When we go back to MGM Studios in afternoon for the Fantasmic show we bring a couple of those football stadium seats. The ones we use are not the metal kind. For this old timer it sure helps out my old back.

Bring some breakfast stuff and try to eat breakfast in your room. This saves lots of time and allows you to get to the parks quicker.

Relax and enjoy yourself.
    Love Shaq U 38

Overated State U 24

LSU only 2 time BCS Champions

I recommend a character breakfast at the Contemporary. It's really cool. You get your group picture in front of a big plate and then the characters come around and interact with every table and they even dance around with their napkins. The crowd has to participate too.
    me - 37
    DH - 38
    DS - 8
    DS - 6
    DD - 2

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Quote Originally Posted by LilRah08 View Post
    Make dinner reservations at least 60 days in advance usually,
    180 days, actually. I just made all my reservations for my trip in November. Some of the locations (Cinderella's castle) were already booking up.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• Minion

This may sound really simple, stupid and obvious...
    If you want something, ask for it! Directions, taking a picture of your group, park hours, good spot to watch a parade etc. Odds are good a CM will help you as long as you're polite about it and your request is reasonable. Amazing how often I (and others I'm sure) forget this simple thing.