Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Tiki Lover

What's your money saving tip at the parks?

What are some money saving tips you can pass on for WDW...

• e komo mai

This is a hard one. I mean, when you're there you're pretty much trapped. I'd say try and eat off property, but to do that you need to travel pretty far. How about buying groceries and eat lunch in your hotel room? That'll save money and give you an excuse to get away from the park (if you're tired) and add a nap onto lunch.

I hope that helps. If I think of any more, I'll add it...

• Rock Star Minion

OK, off the top of my head:
    1. Stay at All-Stars or Pop Century. Cheap, and for the most part, you're not at your hotel except to sleep. And they're not that bad, unless you absolutely have to stay at a nicer hotel.
    2. Plan a vacation around and including a convention or seminar. Company pays for hotel and your plane trip. When the convention is done, switch hotels if you plan to stay longer.
    3. When alone on a business trip, always volunteer to switch flights for a voucher. Get enough of these and the plane fare is paid for.
    4. Get to know and love a silver-pass cast member.
    5. Go during value season. Take kids out of school for a week, and make up the work either ahead of time or afterward. Or, make the vacation a kind of assignment. It's not as busy and the hotels are cheaper, and there's still stuff to do after the parks close early.
    6. Drive instead of fly if paying for two or more flights. One-stop limit, though. 700 miles in a day is pushing it, and it really eats into a short vacation.
    7. If you go often enough (twice a year or more), buying a time-share (at the right price) might be worth it. Buying APs would then be worth it. This might take a huge commitment, but if you get a decent condo with good trading privileges, you could go somewhere else for vacation (and not buy APs). Also, you get kitchen privileges, which means packing sandwiches and snacks and drinks for picnics.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Everyone has suggested what I was going to say except for one thing...don't go during hurricane season. My husband and I weren't so lucky back then. Although the hurricane took a last minute turn north, it was supposed to directly hit Orlando. They closed the parks early one day and all day the next.

when eating at any counter service or even sit down restaurant, order cups of ice water instead of soda. It is free and saved my family of 5 at least $10-$12 per meal. if you don't like the taste of FL water then bring some of those little crystal light packets to mix in with it.

There is a buffet at Disney that is not well known, but it is the cheapest buffet on the property and has some of the best food. It's a little out of teh ay though, because it is the Trails's End at Fort Wilderness Campground. The buffet usually has Fried Chicken, Peel and Eat Shrimp, BBQ Ribs, usually roast beef or prok and some sort of seafood, as well as pizza, chili and a salad bar. The chicken and ribs is the same served at teh Hoop Dee Doo which shares the same kitchen.

They serve breakfast lunch and dinner. Lunch is almost the same as dinner, just less variety.

Rather than stay on-site, look into renting a vacation condo. :devil: Many can be found by just doing a Google search. The cost of the condo for a week, added to a car rental will still cost you less than the price of a Disney budget resort.

Also, you'll have a full kitchen at your disposal, plus in many cases, a washer and a drier.

We did this last year and it worked out great.

• Tiki Lover

All great ideas. I'll be going over the 4th...so crossing my fingers for great weather!

Also, we always bring our own breakfast items and eat in our room. If you have a rental car you should stop at a store on your way and stock up on granola bars,fruit,poptarts, chips,etc. Moderate hotels have a fridge,if you stay at a value you can bring a softsided cooler in your luggage or buy a foam one at the grocery. We have regularly packed our cooler with nonperishable snacks and checked it with our luggage with no problem. You can also mail yourself a package of food to be waiting for you when you arrive.

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

Teddy, also check http://www.disneydollarless.com for tips. Have a GREAT time!
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

• insufferable know-it-all

When IS hurricane season?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

July through October, but there have actually been hurricanes in every month except either Jan or Feb.
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    When IS hurricane season?
    It's not as if a hurricane is guaranteed. There is just a slightly higher probability of one (or a former one) hitting the area AND doing enough damage to affect park operation.
    Not too many do as much damage as last year's two. It's literally a freak of nature.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• insufferable know-it-all

Well, I ask becauase a) it was mentioned, and b) I think if I did plan a trip, it would be for October, being the "value season" and all...

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

•   
    • debating what to put here

Two quick tips:

If you go down Katella (away from the freeway) just a couple of blocks, there are a ton of fast food restaurants. Two people can eat for the same amount that one can in the park. If you are really hungry, there is a hometown buffet. It isn't the best but it is a buffet that is pretty reasonably priced ($10 per person).

My favorite though, is if you want a soda. A 20oz bottle will cost you $2.75 in the park. If you go to the picnic area though, not only do the machines sell the bottles (for the same price) but they also sell CANS, which are $1. A much better deal. If you think about it, you can get 3 cans for $.25 more than one bottle. 36oz vs. 20oz.

Edited to add: Ugh...these tips are for Disneyland, not WDW. That's what I get for not checking to see which forum I was in. Oh well, maybe they will still be useful to someone...
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast