View Poll Results: Would YOU have lived at Epcot Center (as orig. planned by Walt)?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, when can I move in?

34 68.00%
  • No, I am happy where I am, thank you!

16 32.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Why can't you tune a fish

Re: Would YOU have lived at Epcot Center?

Quote Originally Posted by tofubeast View Post
    Which is good..it would have maybe been built to current hurricane glass code!!

Can you even imagine how expensive it would be to stay at that one big hotel?

Domed living... remember that project in Arizona, I think in the late 80's where people lived in a small enclosed environment. I visited it in middle school. An interesting idea. Now I try to imagine that on a much larger scale...and perhaps that is what Epcot would have kinda been like.

I never saw the appeal of living in a dome anyway. I like weather. Rain, snow, sleet, hail - its all a change of pace. I mean, really, aside for weather that causes damage - hurricanes, floods, conflagrations, etc. is it really THAT much to deal with a little rain or snow.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Minion

You know, after giving this some thought, perhaps what's more important than actually building EPCOT is the idea of EPCOT.

Sometimes crazy ideas inspire others to come up with other, more practical ideas that actually do happen.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tofubeast View Post
    Which is good..it would have maybe been built to current hurricane glass code!!

Can you even imagine how expensive it would be to stay at that one big hotel?

Domed living... remember that project in Arizona, I think in the late 80's where people lived in a small enclosed environment. I visited it in middle school. An interesting idea. Now I try to imagine that on a much larger scale...and perhaps that is what Epcot would have kinda been like.
    Some of the strictest building codes in the state of Florida are the codes for the Reedy Creek Improvement District. The structures are designed to handle much more than beach front property.

You're thinking of BioSphere II. It didn't work that well. But unlike EPCOT, they weren't supposed to leave.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Would YOU have lived at Epcot Center?

Quote Originally Posted by jane2073 View Post
    At first I said yes, but after reading the description I would have to change my answer to no. I like owning our house. I don't like the thought of having to leave once I hit retirement age.
    Ironic that someone like WD that was so patriotic would invision a city where the basic American Dream of owning one's own home isn't allowed.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Celebration, FL did not work so well. I don't think Walt's Epcot would have worked.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ralfrick View Post
    Ironic that someone like WD that was so patriotic would invision a city where the basic American Dream of owning one's own home isn't allowed.

A bientot.
    I think he understood that it was needed for EPCOT to be the massive R&D department he envisioned.

• Dreamer

I heard somewhere that there is a book all about Walt's vision for EPCOT. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, the title/author? THANKS!

• Dreamer

Nevermind! Found it:

Walt Disney and the Quest for Community

Anyone read it? I am curious but it is only avail. in hardcover and a major online bookseller sells it for $60!

• Banned User

epcot had the concepts of an old fashioned company town built furturistically. You couldn't own your home and you paid rent set by the company to the company. on and BTW according to the building codes allowed by the state of florida, this utopia was going to be powered by a small nuclear facility. of course back then that was forward thinking. I for one am glad it didn't get built.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123