Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Early Close for Main Street Bakery

ORWEN: Hello to all you dear little ducklings out there! It's been a wonderful Mamorial Day weekend--so far. (I managed to get a mamogram squeezed in before joining the rest of the coven at the Magic Kingdom on Sunday, May 26th.) The only problem came at around 3 o'clock in the afternoon when I felt like having a sweet, low-cal dessert for myself from the Main Street Bakery. Since I'm on a diet I have to watch what I eat--

ORGOCH: --What?!

ORWEN: Was I talking to you? Anyway, when I went to visit the Main Street Bakery, it was closed up tight and there was a cast member out front saying something about a 'seasonal close' being in place! But here it was a busy Mamorial Day weekend!!

ORGOCH: See what comes from eatin' too many sweets? Ya git twinkies fer brains!

ORDDU: I'm sure that what Orwen meant to say was Memorial Day. In any case, the Main Street Bakery was, indeed, closed down for what appeared to be a very crowded holiday at the Kingdom. Orwen proceeded to question other cast members on Main Street and learned that there was another theory for the early afternoon close of the Bakery that day. Some were saying that there is a shortage of cast members, which have been making it difficult to properly staff the shops.

ORWEN: It all sounds like Disney World is having the same problem with cast member shortages as Disneyland's been having. Does anybody else know what's really going on?

ORGOCH: Whatever it is, yer gonna' be the last ta know--confusin' Memorial Day with somethin' like gittin' yerself a dang mamogram!! Sheesh!!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Early Close for Main Street Bakery

That's weird. I've never seen the bakery closed and I've gone int here at different times of the day too.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I want my Nestle Toll House Cookies... hmm, maybe they'll bring back the old ones. Like, the ones before the rehab where they ruined the bakery!

Oh, I can taste the old cookies now... *sigh*
    -Bill

• She was sweet as a peach

I think it was probably staffing issue. It seems silly to close it mid afternoon (right during the parade) on a busy holiday.

You can still get toll house cookies at the Sleepy Hollow bakery (between the castle and Liberty Square). If you time it right you can get vanilla icecream sandwiched between two warm cookies. So yummy yet so messy.

Probably staffing. My daughter was a lead CP CM at the bakery back in 1999 and it was a great place to work! They used to do a musical thing with the Dapper Dans on MS. It was lots of fun when the guys came to change out the smellie cans over the entrances.

Cheers,
    Don

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I want my Nestle Toll House Cookies... hmm, maybe they'll bring back the old ones. Like, the ones before the rehab where they ruined the bakery!

Oh, I can taste the old cookies now... *sigh*
    My guess, and its only a guess, pre-baked frozen, industrial packs from Nestle.

Interestingly enough, Sysco used to carry them, and I no longer see them for sale. If wonder if you old favoriets were the factory baked flash frozen ones, and now they are using refrigerated dough. I highly doubt they are making them from scratch.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Of course they have staffing problems at WDW.

Jay Rasulo, Al Weiss, Inoverherheadmeg Crofton, Erin Wallace and Co ... have long since tapped out the retirees, the kids, the college students, the slave-labor from the islands etc ...

The only way to get more CMs is to raise pay ... significantly ... not a dime or a quarter.

If WDW minimum wage went to say $9 an hour tomorrow, the staffing issues would disappear ... but almighty institutional investors (who are souless anyway) would revolt, the stock might drop a dollar and we couldn't have that.

So the disaster continues.

Meg should have gotten her boney, old butt out and called in Team Disney execs from their Windermere and Bay Hill BBQs if that's what it took to have the bakery open.

What a complete joke.

These are WalMart caliber execs.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Of course they have staffing problems at WDW.

Jay Rasulo, Al Weiss, Inoverherheadmeg Crofton, Erin Wallace and Co ... have long since tapped out the retirees, the kids, the college students, the slave-labor from the islands etc ...

The only way to get more CMs is to raise pay ... significantly ... not a dime or a quarter.

If WDW minimum wage went to say $9 an hour tomorrow, the staffing issues would disappear ... but almighty institutional investors (who are souless anyway) would revolt, the stock might drop a dollar and we couldn't have that.

So the disaster continues.

Meg should have gotten her boney, old butt out and called in Team Disney execs from their Windermere and Bay Hill BBQs if that's what it took to have the bakery open.

What a complete joke.

I totally agree.

• Banned User

iremember reading somewhere that the bakery staff are doing double duty with the ice cream parlor not sure if that's correct though. I agree with WDW1974 on the point that you need to raise the pay but remember folks, you raise pay, tickets and AP's go up and then people complain about the ticket price. frankly the company is in a no win situation. also I don't know if raising pay would bring in more workers, the orlando area is just too overdeveloped and like tampa the need for low skilled labor is in such great demand that it would be tight . now if you shuttered a few hotels...and sent those people to work in the parks... but that won't happen either.

I don't know if you have extremely keen insight into the business world, or if you were using WalMart to denote "being of cheap quality"

WalMart and Disney have more in common that many may think. Customer satisfaction at WalMart has been dropping like a rock. WalMart once was seen as a bastion of customer service, constantly posting high numbers in the brick and mortar area (forget on-line retailers like Amazon, they blow the brick and mortars out of the water).

Now WalMart is behind Target. And its not as if Target has improved - WalMart has dropped.

Here is a recent (well 3-4 months old) quote about WalMart

Bentonville-based Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s seems to be in search of an identity. That's the opinion of some analysts and experts, who say the world's largest retailer's struggle to regain its financial foothold is making the company whipsaw between images of being a low-price discounter or an upscale retailer; of being a company that often cites pearls of folksy wisdom from founder Sam Walton, while hiring outside consultants to polish its urban appeal.

"For the first time in its 45-year history, Wal-Mart is uncertain what it should be," wrote The Economist on Feb. 16.

"We actually wonder if Wal-Mart would be better served by thinking a little less and acting on instinct a little more. Pay less attention to the consultants and analysts and just go out and be Wal-Mart," Kevin Coupe, owner of Coupe Communications and a regular guest speaker for the Food Marketing Institute, commented at his Web site recently.

"Pay less attention to the consultants and analysts and just go out and be Wal-Mart" - Wow! lets try this

Pay less attention to the consultants and analysts and just go out and be Disney

If the shoe fits I say .......

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

You're forgetting the biggest thing of all... Main Street is a Super Walmart.

Super Walmart has...
    Lots of merchandise divided into departments... so does Main Street.
    A barbershop... so does Main Street.
    A place for food or two... so does Main Street.
    Customer Service... City Hall on Main Street.
    Restrooms... okay, this one's not really fair, there are always restrooms.

Hmmm...
    -Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Super Walmart has...
    Lots of merchandise divided into departments... so does Main Street.
    A barbershop... so does Main Street.
    A place for food or two... so does Main Street.
    Customer Service... City Hall on Main Street.
    You could go back a little bit in history and even say

Sells fake silk flowers....so does Main Street.

LOL

• Minion

[quote=Witches of Morva;1792811]ORWEN: Hello to all you dear little ducklings out there! It's been a wonderful Mamorial Day weekend--so far. (I managed to get a mamogram squeezed in before joining the rest of the coven at the Magic Kingdom on Sunday, May 26th.)

Haha haha!

I need a cookie!
    I want my cake back!

You really don't want to get me started on why WalMart is a cancer on our society.

So let's not go there ...

You really don't want to get me started on why WalMart is a cancer on our society.

So let's not go there ...

OK, I won't.

Less government and less crying - more sucking up and doing. Thats all I have to say.

-dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast