• Pixiedust?

Birthday Suprises

So my family is going to WDW the 2nd week of August, which is between my mom's 50th birthday in July (which I'm renting 50 pink flamingos to put in the yard and it's going to be a hoot) and my dad's 49th birthday in September. Since this is this only trip we'll be able to do this year because of my surgery with physical therapy having to learn to walk again, dad's business trips for weeks at a time, and school starting in August, I was wondering if there are any cute things that I can do for them while we're all WDW or surprise them with? I was thinking about ordering a gift package from the WDW florist, but it's quite a steep drop in the bucket for a teenager.

So I was wondering if anybody could give me any cute ideas to do for them. Thanks.

.. a dream is a wish your heart makes

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Birthday Suprises

Make sure they get Birthday buttons from Guest Relations! They're free, when CM's see them they wish you a happy birthday and sometimes you get unexpected perks. One time I wore mine at Epcot and I got a free churro with my lunch at the cantina in Mexico. Last year I wore it to MK. I had lunch at Cosmic Ray's and the CM's handing me my food saw the button and offered me a free birthday dessert! Another time I got to "drive" the boat on Jungle Cruise!

Also, if you have lunch or dinner at any of the table service restaurants, let the CM's know and they'll probably do something special. At Crystal Palace they decorated my table with streamers & confetti, I got a b-day card signed by all the Pooh characters and I got a birthday cupcake (complete with candle).

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by LilRah08 View Post
    So my family is going to WDW the 2nd week of August, which is between my mom's 50th birthday in July (which I'm renting 50 pink flamingos to put in the yard and it's going to be a hoot) and my dad's 49th birthday in September. Since this is this only trip we'll be able to do this year because of my surgery with physical therapy having to learn to walk again, dad's business trips for weeks at a time, and school starting in August, I was wondering if there are any cute things that I can do for them while we're all WDW or surprise them with? I was thinking about ordering a gift package from the WDW florist, but it's quite a steep drop in the bucket for a teenager.

So I was wondering if anybody could give me any cute ideas to do for them. Thanks.
    Call guest relations and ask if they can set somthing up. Either with your hotel room or when dining. Call ahead and explain your situation and ask if they can fo something cute that you can afford. It may be as simple as having the entire wait staff come over to your table and sing Happy Birthday. Or whats you moms favorite song, maybe they can do that. Does your mom like a certain character? Maybe you can call mousekeeping and you can buy a plush of that character and then they can set it up in a towel/washcloth scene.

You have some time to work with them. They are a resort after all and doing special things part of what they should be doing. Just remember to thank them all afterwards for helping you out.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

For my birthday in March, my parents called WDW and had a gift tote sent to my hotel room that was filled with candy and snacks. Plus, it had Ariel balloons attached to it.

Then at my birthday dinner at Ohana, they had a chocolate cake sent to my table (I had already gotten a HUGE cupcake)!Then I got chosen to be the leader of the conga line. I think that was set up, too.

My parents thought about sending me flowers, but since we own a flower shop here in Indy....they figured I had seen enough flowers at home.

They just called around and got things set up. They said it was pretty easy.
    - Larisa

Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show! -MMC

Oh and I did have my birthday button on all day.
    - Larisa

Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show! -MMC

• New Old Member

You can always buy something at home and take it with you. Once there you can decorate and put things out. It will save alittle money and still be nice and thoughtful.

If you call ahead of time you can make arrangements to have things done. If the reservation is marked that it is celebrating a birthday they can get balloons or a card signed by a character up to the room after check in. Remember though, nothing gets delivered to the room until after check in. Aside from the balloons or card, nothing is free. Some hotels might put milk and cookies or something in the room, but that depends on the hotel and their policy at the time regarding birthdays. I worked at the Grand Floridian and for awhile we had special birthday and anniversary chocolate candy bars. The amenities change all the time. I would not expect much from the value or moderate resorts, the deluxe ones will usually do a little something special. The Key though is they have to know prior to arrival. You can't expect them to put a cake in the room when they don't know about it. Cakes don't just magically appear out of thin air. It takes time to bake them and planning to make sure they are baked.

Too many people think that this information i already known, how would they know it if it was never brought to their attention. When I worked at the Grand there were several times upon checkout where the guests said they had a great time, but they were disappointed that no one recognized their birthday or anniversray. Well no one knew about it because it was not in the reservation, nor did the guest let us know. They just expected that we "magically" knew all this stuff. Some on the other hand were upset, not that we didn't recognize what was done, balloons, candies, cards, saometimes even cakes etc, they expected us to do even more than what they got. If you want more than what the current hotel policy is, you'll have to pay extra for it.

The other issue is that more and more people seem to be having birthdays in the parks. We see more and more people celebrating their birthday in the park and they all expect something free. I know a waitress at one of the restaurants in the Studios and she said she had for tables at the same time one day where everyone at the table was celebrating their birthday. 4 separate families, 4 separate tables, and everyone was having their birthday. I seriously doubt that was the case. I can see 4 families, with one person in each group having a birthday, or maybe 2 in the case of twins, but everyone, I don't think so. 2 days later, while working at Crystal Palace, 3 of the 4 families came in during the course of the day all still wearing birthday buttons and expecting free extras. I work in a park and people walk by all the time and many are wearing the anniverary, birthday or wedding buttons. While I don't doubt the validity of most of these events, I do doubt it when everyone in the group is wearing the buttons and in some cases I've seen them wearing more than one button.
    Last edited by ti2gr; 05-31-2007 at 05:11 AM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I think you should have to show proof its your birthday in order to get a birthday button. This is just something else that idiot tourists are going to abuse to death. I only wear my button when I got for my birthday and I don't really expect anything extra (I'm not demanding a free dessert or little perks)... but it's definitely nice when it happens.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr View Post
    Too many people think that this information i already known, how would they know it if it was never brought to their attention. When I worked at the Grand there were several times upon checkout where the guests said they had a great time, but they were disappointed that no one recognized their birthday or anniversray. Well no one knew about it because it was not in the reservation, nor did the guest let us know.

I was also told to tell everyone.

According to the person I talked to in reservations, sometimes the information does not get transmitted. You may call and book your reservation and say it's someones birthday, but the possibility exists that the particular resort does not get the info.

The simplest thing to do is let them know as well. Just mention it when you check in. Also mention it when you make your dining reservations.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony