Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polynesian

• Minion

Polynesian

So far, I've only stayed at value (ASM) and moderates (CBR and CS). Looking at the Poly because it's on the monorail line, has beach access, nice restaurants and, from what I've read anyway, decent entertainment. Also seems to be priced a tad lower than the other two monorail resorts.

For those who have stayed at the Poly, is it worth the extra $'s over a moderate or value? Everything that I've read from allearsnet.com and our very own tikiman's website (http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/) it looks like it would be worth it. So, what do you all think? Stay at Poly or different resort?

If it matters, the dates we're looking at are Oct. 17-23.

Thanks in advance!

• Quality not quantity

Re: Polynesian

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post
    So far, I've only stayed at value (ASM) and moderates (CBR and CS). Looking at the Poly because it's on the monorail line, has beach access, nice restaurants and, from what I've read anyway, decent entertainment. Also seems to be priced a tad lower than the other two monorail resorts.

For those who have stayed at the Poly, is it worth the extra $'s over a moderate or value? Everything that I've read from allearsnet.com and our very own tikiman's website (http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/) it looks like it would be worth it. So, what do you all think? Stay at Poly or different resort?

Thanks in advance!
    We stayed at the poly a few years ago. It was January so a bit cool for the pool. We ended up asking for a room at the far end of the resort which is a 2min walk from the transportation center. It was a great time saver. Easy access to both monorail loops, the buses and the boats.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

If the price is within your budget, I'd recommend it. The pool is great and the dining options are good. I like the atmosphere as well. It's been a long time since I've stayed there, but I like going there when I visit.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

If you're not sure about spending that much for the Polynesian, the Wilderness Lodge is a nice alternative that is cheaper than the other deluxe resorts in the area. The dining is just as good, with the Whispering Canyon Cafe being just as fun as Ohana, just slightly more off the wall, and from what I hear, Artist Point is spectacular as well for fine dining. The resort is gorgeous, and there is a beach as well. The only difference is that instead of the monorail, you have a water launch to the Magic Kingdom, which I found to be very relaxing as well.

The polynesian is fantastic; I will agree with that 100%, but if you are worried about the money, the Wilderness Lodge gives you a deluxe feel for a considerably lower price.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

I have stayed at 2 of the moderate resorts, all the values, and five deluxe resorts (I'm including OKW in there, since I'm not a DVC member and stayed as a hotel guest).

My stay at Poly in Dec. 2004 was definitely magical. The little things, such as every single CM saying, "Aloha" (seriously) were really cool. Taking the monorail or better yet (IMO) the boat to MK (and the monorail to TTC for Epcot) definitely was a perk. It was absolutely a magical stay, as it should be. Still, even with all that, it wasn't even my favorite deluxe resort (that was the Yacht club, for reasons I won't go into unless someone asks).

My grandma was recently asking my advice for best all-around resort at WDW, and I took into consideration price, amenities, atmosphere, small touches, room sizes...I really thought about it (um, so I guess I have a lot of time on my hands , and I came to this conclusion:

My favorite all-around resort is POFQ.

I love the atmosphere at this resort. I found the bus service to be significantly better than Caribbean Beach (or Contemporary and Poly, for that matter...you're almost always stuck on buses with 3 resorts, GF, Contemporary, and Poly...yet value resorts such as Pop get their own bus! When you're paying upwards of $400-500 per night, you should get your own darn bus!). I love the boat ride down the Sassagoula River to DTD, the rooms were a great size and had a fridge.

So there's my long-winded answer. Certainly, for the top magical feeling, for many, staying on the monorail loop is "it." And it definitely was magical for me. I also loved the Yacht Club because I could walk to Epcot or take the boat to MGM...I really love that resort.

If you have an AP and will save on your room, all the better. I would say it comes down to budget. If you are really pumped about staying at Poly, and just want to do it at least once, then go for it. Thing is, the price for a moderate resort is around 1/3 to 1/2 the price (closer to 1/3), and over a 7-day period, you're saving at least $1000 (that's a low estimate).

Well, I hope that's helpful, if not just a wee bit long
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

Cool Re: Polynesian

My wife and I stayed at the Poly for our honeymoon in Jan. Great place. The pools are heated so swimming is possible. A Little chilly otherwise.

Poly is perfectly situated to get to either MK or Epcot. The bus system could be better but you rarely have to wait more then a half-hour.

Be sure to mention if its a special occasion. I booked a discount rate for a garden view room. When we got there it turned out we had a MK or lagoon view in the Hawaii Longhouse. Thats the concierge building. Saved us ALOT of money eating there for breakfast and snacks. Free food FTW!.

Ohanas was great and you can get a table during the fireworks at MK. They turn down the lights and bring up the music. Can be tough to see from certain tables though. Best try to get a window table if you want to see the fireworks. THe food is limited selection though.

The main building is beautiful and has a great atmosphere. The grounds are the same. Also, though I did not see it, the electric parade on the lake passes by each night.

All in all we had a great time. Basically if all you are looking for in a hotel room is a place to sleep and store your junk, then get a value room. If you want atmosphere, the the Poly is the place to be.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post

Thanks in advance!
    I am in LOVE with this Resort.

From my experience the Cast is very friendly and helpful, the theming is amazing, Captain Cooks is open 24 hours! (well, the grill closes earlier, but still! and Dole Whips are there), it is very convient with access to the monorail to MK via Resort line or Epcot via TTC. While it seems quite large, the walk is only about seven minutes from one end to the other, according to Tikiman (I've never timed it.) The Nanea Volcano pool is amazing and there is another pool, the "quiet pool" as well. You can easily step outside to view Magic Kingdom fireworks and hear the music (depending on where you are on the beach) and watch the Electical Water Pageant. Since you are going in over the Halloween time frame you will also get to watch HalloWishes from the beach, if you choose to - which can be a lot of fun with the perimeter fireworks (even if they only do half of them.)

I can't compare it much to the cost of other Disney hotels as my experience mainly rests within the value resorts and French Quarter. I can say that it is quite a bit more - so if you do stay there be sure to take advantage of all the little extras. And what extras are those?
    • Torch lighting at 6pm
    • Storytelling with kids
    • Crafts with kids
    Those things, plus others can often be found going on at the Poly. Plus the Spirit of Aloha show.

I stayed at the polynesian a couple of days ago and it was great!

• Pixiedust?

I'm staying at the Poly in August & I'm excited. We're staying there because of the monorail line to MK and easy access to the TTC, so you can take the monorail to Epcot, or a bus to AK, DTD, & MGM.

.. a dream is a wish your heart makes

• I'm a guy

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    If you're not sure about spending that much for the Polynesian, the Wilderness Lodge is a nice alternative that is cheaper than the other deluxe resorts in the area. The dining is just as good, with the Whispering Canyon Cafe being just as fun as Ohana, just slightly more off the wall, and from what I hear, Artist Point is spectacular as well for fine dining. The resort is gorgeous, and there is a beach as well. The only difference is that instead of the monorail, you have a water launch to the Magic Kingdom, which I found to be very relaxing as well.

The polynesian is fantastic; I will agree with that 100%, but if you are worried about the money, the Wilderness Lodge gives you a deluxe feel for a considerably lower price.
    I also agree that the Wilderness Lodge would be a nice alternative if you are concerned with price.
    However (And I'm not sure this is a problem for you) the WL only allows four to a room, while the Polynesian can hold five. If you try to put five at the WL it will cost more than five at the Poly.
    Again, I don't know if that is a problem for you, but thought someone may want to know

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
    I also agree that the Wilderness Lodge would be a nice alternative if you are concerned with price.
    However (And I'm not sure this is a problem for you) the WL only allows four to a room, while the Polynesian can hold five. If you try to put five at the WL it will cost more than five at the Poly.
    Again, I don't know if that is a problem for you, but thought someone may want to know
    Excellent point, and something I didn't think about as it never really concerned me.

• Minion

First off, thanks for the replies everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    While it seems quite large, the walk is only about seven minutes from one end to the other, according to Tikiman (I've never timed it.)
    What BPF says here, to me, is a huge thing. Seems like at other resorts (specifically CS, CBR and ASM), it takes for freaking ever just to run out for something simple, like a bottle of water, quick snack, bus stop etc. Maybe it was luck of the draw because at CS and CBR, we stayed in buildings that were like the 2nd or 3rd furthest from the main lobby. Seems like the Poly is much better when it comes to walking...with the main concern being the kids - they don't do so well in the Florida heat and humidity.

Only question in my mind is, is it worth roughly $1000 extra to eliminate that extra time, as well as get the better entertainment, beach access, water pageant etc?

More research is in order...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

For less, the Wilderness Lodge is fairly compact, and has the water pageant, beach, etc.

Just another thought. I love both equally.

• Minion

For less, the Wilderness Lodge is fairly compact, and has the water pageant, beach, etc.

Just another thought. I love both equally.
    Interesting. So, the only thing missing is direct monorail access, which isn't a huge deal if Wilderness has the water launch. Some friends of ours who live in Florida love that resort as well. Hmmmm....

Thanks again for all the info!

• I'm a guy

Excellent point, and something I didn't think about as it never really concerned me.
    Thanks
    I never would have thought of it had I not recently attempted to book at the WL (just for pricing purposes) and found that my family is too large for a normal room and I couldn't figure out why it cost more at the WL than the Poly
    Last edited by Admiral; 06-03-2007 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Can't spell for the life of me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast