Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Free Internet at WDW...

Actually, Disney just made a contract to get cell towers on the ships that work off of a satellite... so cells will work!!!! lol
    -Bill

cool i hope all the resorts will get Internet for Free as well .

And then i could say that's a good news !

Considering you can get free wireless at places on 192 that charge $50 a night, it's embarrassing that WDW is so behind the times on yet another thing.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Hey Bill, where'd ya hear that news from?

No, the Wilderness Lodge does NOT have it yet.... but if you complain loud enough (if you were supposed to originally be booked at the Contemporary that is), they will remove it from your room charges.

Hey Bill, I'm still dreaming about that shrimp cocktail from Le Cellier! Mmmmm, nummy nummy.
    --Jonathan

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

It was good, but good enough to dream about? Hmmmm... lol

And a guy who went to some pirates event told me. Something about booking him in overflow and then overcharging him when he ended up at the Lodge instead of the Contemporary. lol
    -Bill

To agree with PhoneDave, we obtained EVDO cards for our laptops about a year ago, and reduced our travel internet charges by 75%. Many of the top Starwood and Marriott hotels do charge for internet, while the lower end (Courtyard by Marriott) do not. Curious. The EVDO works at broadband speeds in most metro areas, and the provider guarantees some sort of data service where ever they have a digital cell signal. We were able to drop our T-mobile Hotspots account as well. I've never quite understood why hotels charging $200-600 for a room don't provide this service for free, unless they figure business travelers will just expense it.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Considering you can get free wireless at places on 192 that charge $50 a night, it's embarrassing that WDW is so behind the times on yet another thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by don731 View Post
    Many of the top Starwood and Marriott hotels do charge for internet, while the lower end (Courtyard by Marriott) do not. Curious.
    It is curious to many, but it's anything but "behind the times." In fact...just the opposite!!!

You might like to think that higher priced hotels would include more, but in practice it's almost the opposite in the entire hotel industry worldwide. It seems the business model in the hotel industry is that if you can afford the higher room rate...then you can afford to pay for more amenities and services that might be included in your room rate at much lesser properties. And then you can add to that the "captive audience" aspect that Disney enjoys in Florida, and...well...it's not surprising really.

At the Hotel Prince de Galles for example, which is a luxury hotel in the center of Paris, France that can start off in the US$500 a night range. Want hi-speed internet? US$62 for 24 hours use!

At many cheapo hotels there and here in the U.S...those items might be included with your $69 a night rate!

This "what's included" disparity that might seem puzzling to many, is actually quite common in the hotel business. The more you pay for your room...often the fewer amenities come included with it.

At virtually every major hotel operator's lower end properties (Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Hilton Garden Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, etc, etc)...you'll find complimentary high-speed internet (and often free local calls too). At those same operator's mid and higher end brands (Crown Plaza, Intercontinental, Marriott, Westin, Sheraton, St. Regis, etc)...you'll find them charging for high-speed internet (and charging for local calls).

There are exceptions, but generally it's pretty SOP in the hotel industry. May not make much sense on the surface to some...but believe me, it makes perfect sense to them! Because quite simply...they can get away with it!

Still many other hotels offer paid hi-speed in the guestrooms, but free WiFi down on the ground floor around the lobby and conference rooms. This is becoming more and more common, as hotel's Sales Departments become increasingly pressured to provide free WiFi to convention and conference groups. And rather than bother issuing passwords and such...they just allow anyone to get on to the network.

If Disney stops charging for hi-speed internet at Walt Disney World, I would venture that it has more to do with that last paragraph than anything else. That its becoming more and more common to expect a hotel to throw in unlimited free hi-speed into a conference or convention contract. And it's probably much easier and cheaper to just unlock the network to everyone, than try to manage "charging for some/free for others" types of billing and access issues.

I know this is the case and reason for a fact, at many properties.

And with Walt Disney World targeting more and more conference and convention business these days...I wouldn't be surprised to see them unlock access for these reasons.

But at locales that are captive, and/or mainly supported by pleasure travelers and independent business travelers...I think you'll still see them hold the line on charging for hi-speed.

They will simply balance the revenue generated from charging for hi-speed...against any business possibly lost from not having free hi-speed internet. If the results say they'll make more money offering it for free (for competitive reasons)...trust me...they'll make it free!

Well..."included" might be a better term than "free." It's just that the price will be more "hidden" and rolled into the cost of your room, actually. And as such, every room will be "paying" for it, rather than just those that use it. Either way...the hotel will make money off it and we will still continue to pay for it.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Best Hotel Chain for Data: Outrigger. Go stay at the Outrigger Waikiki on the beach. Free internet, free wireless, free long distance, free whatever. lol

And the service there is amazing. Better service then any Disney Resort I've ever stayed in.
    -Bill

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by don731 View Post
    To agree with PhoneDave, we obtained EVDO cards for our laptops about a year ago, and reduced our travel internet charges by 75%. Many of the top Starwood and Marriott hotels do charge for internet, while the lower end (Courtyard by Marriott) do not. Curious. The EVDO works at broadband speeds in most metro areas, and the provider guarantees some sort of data service where ever they have a digital cell signal. We were able to drop our T-mobile Hotspots account as well. I've never quite understood why hotels charging $200-600 for a room don't provide this service for free, unless they figure business travelers will just expense it.

And I just KNOW you are using the provider that I work for.

Actualy if you are using EV-DO then the chances are pretty good you are.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• missing the DisneyGallery

Glad they caught up with IHOP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12