Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Arrow What's Wrong With The Magic Kingdom... I mean come on. What's Wrong With It?

In another thread 2 people, with very valid opinions, either verbally trashed the Magic Kingdom or gave it not so rave reviews... I'm so so done with the idea of comparing MK to Disneyland with statements announcing to the world "Disneyland is always better"- Hey we all get that, DL was the first, the best and will always be Disneyland. Nothing can touch it. WE ALL GET IT.

But the issue on hand is people's dislike and very open distaste for the Magic Kingdom.

If you are going to verbally tear down the Magic Kingdom I'd LOVE to see people do it without comparing it to Disneyland. Of course if you really feel the need to compare DL to MK then by all means compare away but wouldn't it be a great challenge to not compare the 2? Wait I just failed this challenge of mine because I compare the parks as both enjoyable experiences. Moving on.

Again I ask.. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE MAGIC KINGDOM?

Please. Tell me.

What am I NOT seeing that others are because I have no issues with MK personally. I've been to Disneyland myself during the 50th Celebration but only after attending the Magic Kingdom first. Before getting to California I thought Disneyland would be a step down from the MK but I was shocked to discover Disneyland was a whole new experience yet it doesn't led me to no longer enjoy the Magic Kingdom or think ill will of it. I still travel to WDW far more times than the Disneyland Resort and the Magic Kingdom is near the top of my list as the reason(s) why I return to the WDW Resort.

With that said.. I ask again. What is wrong with the Magic Kingdom?

Discuss.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: What's Wrong With The Magic Kingdom... I mean come on. What's Wrong With It?

The parks just aren't 't as well maintained as they used to be. It's kind of how Disneyland was during the Pressler years. That's the main problem. I try not to look for the bad when I visit but some things are so in-your-face blatantly bad you can't help but notice.

• Sunshine is the best!!!

Blog Entries

Re: What's Wrong With The Magic Kingdom... I mean come on. What's Wrong With It?

One word for me-NOTHING!
    *When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Haunted Mansion has been allowed to fall into disrepair. Audio cuts in and out. Scrims are visible. Seat bottoms are loose. Another thread points out similar upkeep problems at the Carousel of Progress and elsewhere.

On that note, attractions lack the upkeep seen elsewhere. Pirates of the Caribbean did not recieve the extensive upgrades. Other attractions remain their former selves, if that. The inner workings of an Audio-Animatronic should not be audible.

Main Street has become a giant Disney store. Even the Main Street Cinema is a shop now. Little different is offered throughout the park on terms of merchandise.

The removal of trees and landscaping has allowed for the disentigration of sightline control. Show buildings (i.e. Haunted Mansion), backstage, and the Contemporary tower are now visibile where they previously were not. Disney also continues to brag about how these blights were carefully designed around so as not to be seen.

The latest new attractions are weak in both experience and theme. The queue for MILF barely changed from The Timekeeper with merely the addition of banners. The rest of Tomorrowland (i.e. TTA spiel) has not been changed to reflect these changes.

The skyway buildings both sit abandoned. Both sit at the end of a main walkway in their respective lands.

The "new" daytime parade is nothing but a slight variation on the previous parade.

Garabage is allowed to accumulate in and around recepticles. Trash on walk ways is also not as promptly removed.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    The parks just aren't 't as well maintained as they used to be. It's kind of how Disneyland was during the Pressler years. That's the main problem. I try not to look for the bad when I visit but some things are so in-your-face blatantly bad you can't help but notice.
    Aimster hit the nail on the head...at least for me. In recent years, I really notice "bad show" or things that are just not Disney quality. For me, and this is just my opinion, the attention to the smallest detail is what sets this park apart from my local Six Flags or Cedar Point, which are fun amusement parks, but not the ultimate in theme park experiences and "magic."

I'll admit, I didn't notice these small details as much, until I started reading columns here on MiceAge or visiting other boards. It's sad to read some of the things WDW has let go downhill; however, it is heartening to know that people notice these things, and once enough people start to talk about it and demand change, there's a distinct possibility something will be done about it.

Think that's too optimistic (something i am very guilty of being on these boards)? If our opinions really don't matter, there is satisfaction in knowing that at least some of these small details get noticed. For example, as noted in Kevin Yee's column awhile back, some of the peeled paint and dirt on TTA has been fixed since the attraction got a new sponsor (one of the rental car companies, I think). Siemens is apparently getting rid of the wand and updating, but not ruining the class spirit off, Spaceship Earth.

I know which thread you're talking about, and while I understand why some people become upset about it, I think that many of the things posted are really on target. I feel, and again, this is just my opinion, that it is important for us MCers to point out and discuss even the little things. Honestly, while I was somewhat blind to some of WDW's faults before, I actually feel I enjoy the parks more now that I'm aware. I feel that by noticing these small things, it shows how much I actually care about the parks and want them to live up to the standards established by Walt Disney. It is even more satisfying when I notice some of the problems are remedied (such as those mentioned above). I can't speak for other MCers, but I would say many of the people who post critical statements about the parks do it for the same, or similar, reasons.
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    <snip>.
    All things reported in threads that honestly most were blown out of proportion.

The real reason?

'Welcome to Micechat!'

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

I think the issue is, most of us are Disneyland nerds and heading over to MK and seeing the exact same rides with few exceptions makes us think it's just a clone.
    Also we like to gripe around here... and it's way easier to gripe about MK because it has less upkeep, etc (read any "declining by degrees" article by Kevin on the main page and you'll see)
    I'll admit I like DL better too but if MK is all one has been exposed to it's not a bad place.
    I dunno.... we all like to complain

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The upkeep and sheer lack of attractions (that used to be there) annoys me about MK.
    -Bill

• Minion

I don't think the Magic Kingdom is a bad park. It just pales in comparison to the other Magic Kingdoms (excluding Hong Kong Disneyland of course). It doesn't have any unique "must see" E-ticket attractions or dazzling shows. In fact, the Magic Kingdom contains the worst version of many E-tickets found at the other Magic Kingdoms. Many of the attractions and shows are dated, or have been replaced by horrible counterparts. Add to that the maintenance and upkeep problems, and you have a park that just does not appeal to me very much. The atmosphere at the Magic Kingdom is, in my opinion, very bland. I don't feel the magic or charm that exist in all of the other Magic Kingdoms. Simply put, the Magic Kingdom doesn't offer anything new and exciting for me.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

If MK is the only one someone has gone to, that's great. I'm not going to tell them they wasted their money because they didn't. WDW is all about the whole experience in addition to MK and it's great.

But if the Disney company or everyone else thinks MK is perfect as it is, then we'll never see improvements. I've been watching Disney World with great interest all my life and the Magic Kingdom has had decades to make some huge improvements but I never seen it happen.

What additions have been made since Splash Mountain? They have all this space and yet I only seen rides replace other rides and major ones being pulled off the map. Main Street is sad. What happened to all the unique locations?

What happened to Tiki Room? I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

What happened to Alien Encounter? That was a unique attraction. Now it's a cloned experience shared with Hong Kong in Stitch Encounter.

Timekeeper... well... the majority isn't thrilled with the Monsters Inc. Laugh Factory.

Adventureland was a great looking land but then they added the Magic Carpets of Aladdin. The authentic feel of an actual environment is now gone. Toonification of Adventureland begun with Tiki Room and continued with Aladdin. And not even a GOOD Aladdin attraction either.

What happened to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea? The beautiful lagoon is filled in with dirt and become a Pooh Playground.

MK has the potential of being absolutely amazing and yet it continues to chug along because of the name. So that's what I think is wrong with the Magic Kingdom. The only comparison I'm making here is of itself.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Magic Kingdom = Disneyland circa 1977 except with poor maintenance and a few attractions that are so terrible one has to wonder why they were even built (im looking at you stitch escape and monsters inc. laugh floor)

Magic Kingdom was in its prime around 1994 when it had the brand new Tomorrowland opening up with a bunch of new (non tie-in) rides and a unified theme that was really quite unique. It also came two years after the last e-ticket that was built (Splash Mountian). Magic Kingdom used to add one major addition every 2-4 years which kept it fresh. Also don't forget 20,000 Leagues under the sea in fantasyland which was the delux version of Disneyland's Submarine Voyage, The Skyway, Mr.Toad's Wild Ride, there was also better live entertainment that wasn't in your face or seemed like a cheap cash in to a movie.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

I'll preface this by saying I LOVE the Magic Kingdom, it only falls in a close second to Disneyland as my favorite park I have visited. That being said these things really bother me....

The trade of Mr. Toad, 20000 Leagues, Skyway, Timekeeper, and Alien Encounter for
    Pooh, Pooh's playground, MILF and Stitch.

Trading 5 attractions I would hit every visit to the park for 3 I won't touch and 1 that opened since my last visit. Not a good trade by any stretch.

The loss of theme in my favorite land, Tomorrowland. I can buy Stitch and Buzz since they at least can be thought of as futuristic in a cartoon sense... but MILF?! Come ON!

The removal of the talking skull and parrot from Pirates.

The lack of a good sit down restaurant.

The fact that there hasn't been a great e-ticket (IMO) that's still around since Splash opened.

The deferred maintenance and updates on classic attractions.

The lack of pride many custodians take in their job, due to poor management, the fact that Disney gets what they pay for in CMs, and general under staffing.

I could go on but I think you get my point. The problems with MK aren't due to comparisons with Disneyland, but with the Magic Kingdom of the past.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

WHAT?? THEY TOOK OUT THE TALKING SKULL AND PARROT FROM PIRATES????

Now I'm really sad about the place. What year did Splash open anyway? I know it was 1989 at Disneyland and it came to florida a year or two after right? That's still a good 15 years or so of deterioration and trading down. And that's just the thing too... it was all trades! None of them were good!

...except for maybe Buzz Lightyear over that Flight dark ride (name escapes me at the moment).

And the Tomorrowland Speedway is a bit outdated as well and takes up massive amounts of space. If any park is asking for an updated Speedway, TRON E-ticket or even anything remotely cool, Florida is it!

Mickey's Toontown Fair is also a bit on the disappointing side. It was always just an afterthought of a land and certainly looks like one.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Sadly I do not have much to add as most of it is covered.

Do you folks remember a MK that was pressure washed every night. One where lightbulbs were replaced before they burnt out. A park where there were unique stores in Liberty Square (Silversmith anyone?), Frontierland, Main Street USA etc. A park that had themed entertainment and streetmousephere that were not film or animation tie ins. A park where you could eat mexican any day of the week. A park where the attractions plussed their equals in California (HM, JC, 1st Space Mountain).

I do think the magic is least felt in MK compared to DL or DLP. But even comparing MK with it's previous self, it is a shadow of what it once was.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Banned User

From an outsider's point of view, Magic Kingdon would be great if it was your local park and you've never been to another Disneyland style park.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast