Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mickeyfan3

Best WDW hotel & why?

Okay- DisneyLAND diehard here......can't even count the number of times we've been there.

However, my son and I have never been to WDW, although my hubby prefers the original, we think it's time to go to Florida.

What hotels would you recommend, and why? I've seen pics of the "value" resorts, and they look really cheesy. No pun intended Mickey.

How far apart are all the hotels from one another, which are more centrally located than others, and how long does it take from one end to the other on WDW transportation?????
    Counting the minutes......next trip ??????!!!! (to far away!!!)
    That is current Puppy in Training for Guide Dogs for the Blind, TIKI!!!!
    Hoofprints On the Heart Adaptive Riding Center

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Re: Best WDW hotel & why?

we just stayed at Pop Century and absolutely LOVED It. While alot of people will complain about this hotel...it fit us perfectly. We really just needed a place to sleep, but, this gave us more. The pools are amazing...our 4 year old daughter wanted to live in them. And they are heated...which was great for my cold blooded self. It has a foodcourt instead of just one restaurant...which gave us a choice of smething different every night of our stay. Waking up and going downstairs for either a quick bite before hitting the parks, or a slow, easy breakfast....both were great there. I'm still dreaming of their pastries. and when we'd come back from the parks, late and tired...there was lots to choose from....their chicken alfredo is amazing.....and hubby loved their hamburgers. The gift shop was even helpful!!! I really had nothing to complain about. We got a room facing the lake...and the view was beautiful, every morning our dauhter woke up to ducks outside our door. You should really ive this hotel some consideration.

Depends on price range, where you want to be, etc. But for moderates, my favorite is Port Orleans French Quarter. It's about half the size of the other moderates, I like the French Quarter theming and love the pool. Not sure if they still share bus service with Riverside, but it was the first stop on the line, so you'd be able to get a seat, and first stop returning from the parks. They also have a boat that will take you to Downtown Disney. The dining was better when they had Bonfamille's as a table service option, but their food court was pretty good.

Deluxe hotels are nicer and it really depends on where you want to spend a lot of your time. If you want to be on the monorail, I like the Polynesian for the atmosphere. If you want to be closer to EPCOT or MGM, I love both the Boardwalk and Beach Club. Another advantage is there are quite a few good restaurants in that area with those resorts and quick access to EPCOT World Showcase for more dining.

I've stayed at both Pop Century and All Stars and they are cheesy. However, if you're on a tight budget and want to stay on Disney property and just looking for a room, they're not horrible. Small rooms, though, and it can get loud in the evenings, especially if you go when there's a cheerleader competition and they decide to practice at 10 PM.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I would suggest going to www.allearsnet.com and checking out photos and amenities at each resort, then you can pick the one that fits you best.

We've stayed at All Star Movies, which we hate and moved after 2 nights. Caribbean Beach, which we absolultely loved
    Coronado Springs, which we liked a lot, but had issues with the bus service there and we weren't found of the Pepper Market(although most people seem to like it)

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

For me it's more about location than price. Well wait, the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian are far too expensive for my budget.

But back to location. If you want to be close to the Magic Kingdom go for the Wilderness Lodge. One trip I was booking online and I was surprised to find the WL was just a few hundred dollars more than the moderate resorts I was looking at so I booked the WL.

If you want Epcot and MGM to be next door to your resort check out the Yacht/Beach Club Resorts. The Boardwalk hotel is nice but far too grown up for my tastes but I did see Joey Fatone staying there once.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is great with the themeing category, this resort is very close to AK, Epcot and MGM. The lobby is as equally impressive as the DL's Grand Californian Hotel. Very GRAND.

The Carribbean Beach Resort gives you that spread far out feeling that you're not in Florida. It's colorful, vibrant and loads of fun for families.

Stay away from the Swan Dolphin hotel. Very boring hotels and will leave you unimpressed. These hotels will give you that horrible feeling that you'd wished you booked a better themed hotel.

As for the value resorts, if you have it in your budget to stay at the higher priced resort hotels... THEN DO IT! Please book a moderate resort/deluxe resort as your memories of WDW will be far more exciting to look back on years from now.

Okay, now if you must stay at the value resorts book rooms close to the buses, perferred rooms. Pop Century is highly themed for visual stimulations for the kids and of course bringing out good kid memories in the adults.

If you choose the Port Orleans resort its best you choose the French Quarter side as I feel this themed area is very rich in color and beautiful in scenery visuals.

Hope my hotel reviews help!
    Last edited by Micoofy Duck; 06-05-2007 at 01:51 PM.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Minion

Wow, that's a tough question to answer! WDW has a LOT of hotels, and they all have their good and bad points.

Might I suggest this site as a starting point?
    http://allearsnet.com
    There's a LOT of great info on that site and it's very well organized and easy to navigate.

Here's my 2 cents...

So far, I've stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs and All Star Music. CBR and CS being moderates and ASM being a value. My biggest complaints on all three are the wait times for buses and how spread out they are - expect LOTS of walking to get from place to place! Otherwise, I found them all to be very good, with CS my fave of the three.

For our potential trip in October, we're looking at The Polynesian mainly for the better transportation options (it's on the monorail line and is near the Ticket and Transportation Center (TTC)), but also for better food choices, it's less spread out than other resorts, has decent entertainment, beach access and a number of other nice benefits.

Only thing about a deluxe resort like the Poly is cost - it's considerably more expensive than either a value or moderate.

Anyway, head on over to allearsnet.com and/or disneyworld.com do some reading and pricing, narrow your choices down a bit and then post your findings here!

• Attn. Space Travelers....

yeah, in order to make a recommendation, id really need some kind of price range that your looking at....

buuuuut.....Port Orleans/French Quarter is a moderately priced resort with all the amenities youll need and its rather centrally located....i love it there....its rather relaxing and i loved it as a kid. Not the best dining selection, but hey, free transportation on property~!
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

The Grand Floridian hands down. Why? It's the most luxurious. And I'm all about being glamorous.
    --Jonathan

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    The Grand Floridian hands down. Why? It's the most luxurious. And I'm all about being glamorous.
    Well of course. Only the most glamorous need apply...

For staying at the Wilderness Lodge I got a big price break from not staying/booking a room at the Grand Floridian. And since I stayed at the WL I just took a boat ride to the MK and then jumped on the boat ride to the GF hotel to walk around the resort and experience what it's like to stay there. Then I took a bus from the GF hotel to another theme park. It was pretty fun.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

I have stayed at almost all of the resorts (none of the All Stars). My top two are Wilderness Lodge and Boardwalk Villas.

Wilderness Lodge is just breathtaking, inside and out. The geiser is beautiful and fun and there are several paths to take walks. Yes, there is only the sit down restaurants but they are all delicious and it's not too far to the parks. You can either take the boat to the MK or go out front and hop a bus to the other parks.

Boardwalk villas is the side of the resort closer to the Swan and Dolphin. It is equiped with a microwave, small refridgerator and washer/drier. They also have the Boardwalk Inn, but those are just like regular rooms. The Boardwalk has several sit down restaurants, ESPN which is more casual and a shop with food items. The Yacht and Beach are only a short walk away so at night you can go get a Frozen Sunshine or have the character breakfast. The atmosphere is wonderful and quiets down early enough for sleep.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Ummmm... the Contemporary because the monorail goes THROUGH it!
    But I have never stayed there
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Attn. Space Travelers....

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Ummmm... the Contemporary because the monorail goes THROUGH it!
    But I have never stayed there

its beautiful....and if your room is on the right side, GREAT view of fireworks at MK!!!! i love the rooms there!! so sleek and comfy!
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Well it all depends on your budget and how much time you plan on staying at the hotel. If you're planning on pretty much just using the room to sleep in at night, then the values are probably the best way to go. If you plan on checking out the pools and other things the resort has to offer, then I'd look into the moderates or the deluxe resorts if you can afford them.

I stayed at Port Orleans Riverside a few weeks ago for just one night but I really liked it. I was in the Alligator Bayou section. At night it was slightly creepy but it didn't bother me too much. Next time I stay there I'll see if I can get in the Magnolia Bend section or stay at French Quarter. But my room was very nice, the bed was quite comfy and I loved they had a Japanese TV channel on the TV! Amusement!

I've also stayed at a few of the hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd (which are the hotels by Downtown Disney) and those have been nice too. I really loved the Royal Plaza when I stayed there in January. They just recently gave the entire hotel a major refurb as they sustained damage from Hurricane Charley a few years ago. We're talking new carpeting, all new furniture & bedding... the bathrooms got new tile and granite countertops (the deluxe tower rooms have Roman tubs w/ a separate shower stall). I've also stayed at the Hilton, which was nice, and the Grosvenor... stayed there 3 times so far and I liked it fine (loved how it took just 5 minutes to walk to Downtown Disney). Grosvenor is in the middle of a major refurb right now so the rooms are getting some needed upgrades.

• We'll hold them at bay

I like the Poly a lot, and I know I would love the AKL if I ever get to stay there, but my vote goes to the Boardwalk for many of the reason posted in this review
    http://www.mouseextra.com/2006/11/30...outh/#comments

I love the atmosphere of the boardwalk at your feet, the ability to walk to 2 parks, and the variety of entertainment. I just wish they put a ferris wheel and a kiddie ride or 2 to complete the aura. Plus, the bakery is pretty good.
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

BEST WDW RESORTS:
    (Money no option)

Poly;
    Contemporary;
    WL;
    AKL;
    Swan/Dolphin;

BEST WDW Resorts
    (money a factor):