Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My first trip to WDW

I have read the un-official guide from cover to cover. I've scoured the allears.net site thoroughly. I have decided to stay at the AKL from July 18th through the 25th. I am going to eat at counter service restaraunts because I don't want to schedule my meals so far in advance. I'm a single male travelling alone so I am not restricted in any way.
    Am I missing anything, please give me any input that might help.
    Thankyou in advance.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Re: My first trip to WDW

um, do the most popular rides first thing in the morning or you will wait in line for hours.....Peter Pan, Dumbo...etc. Don't miss Philharmagic...sounds kiddie, but, it's one of hubby and my favorites. I like Cosmic Ray's hot dogs.....but, hubby can't stand them. He likes their grilled chicken...and of course...turkey legs from Frontier land. Line up REALLY early to watch SpectroMagic, and Wishes at least an hour before they start. If you don't mind walking really quickly...between the two events, go to Fantasyland....there are NO lines for anything. Since you are only one person, you shouldn't have problems finding a place to sit to watch Wishes when you return. Counter services are great (our first 3 trips relied only on them)...but, a sit down meal can be great. In MK, I recommend Liberty Tree Tavern, great food, and if you sit by the window, you can watch people go from FrontierLand to Liberty Square.

In Epcot...don't miss A journey into imagination with Figment. REALLy cute ride. And don't forget your fastpass to Soarin and Mission Space...those are essential!!! Illuminations is unforgetable. The best vantage point in my opinion is Italy....just make sure no matter where you sit....that it's in World Showcase...you won't see anything otherwise. Oh, and try the pastries in Norway!!!! SOOOO good. I suggest the chocolate cake. And a glass of milk. Don't forget the milk!!!

Animal Kingdom...the Lion King show is a must!!!! And so is Everest.

MGM...my favorite, Rockin Roller Coaster...you MUST do this over and over and over.....hubby would insist on Tower of Terror. And the little museaum of Walt's life....is just great. In the afternoon, they have character meets in front of the hat....we saw some characters we had never seen before, like the Queen of Hearts and Jafar.

Hope this helps.

• Disney Dreams

Poster above basically covered it all - HAVE A WONDERFUL FIRST TRIP!

Thanks for your input stitchy-poo.
    How about rides that are duplicates of ones found at DLR, which ones are different enough to see and which ones should I skip.

• Disneyland Grandee

Quote Originally Posted by wettham1783 View Post
    Thanks for your input stitchy-poo.
    How about rides that are duplicates of ones found at DLR, which ones are different enough to see and which ones should I skip.
    The exact duplicates are mostly film/show attractions like Soarin, HISTA, Tough to be a bug.
    Otherwise I would see everything you can and enjoy the uniqueness and subtle differences of all the similar attractions ie POC, Splash, SM, HM etc.

Take advantage of single rider lines to save lots of time, which I'm sure you know about.

Have a great first trip, you'll love it.
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

Thanks DizDee
    I plan on using Disney's Magical Express to get from the airport to my hotel. Should I let them take care of my checked bags or should I Just grab them myself? I have read a lot of mixed feelings about this.
    Also how are on resort buses really? Should I plan on using cabs?

• ~Mambo Italiano~

Take the popular attactions first and get down with the sickness!!!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Thanks DizDee
    I plan on using Disney's Magical Express to get from the airport to my hotel. Should I let them take care of my checked bags or should I Just grab them myself? I have read a lot of mixed feelings about this.
    Also how are on resort buses really? Should I plan on using cabs?
    Don't use cabs on property. You'd be wasting more time waiting for them to arrive then you'd be saving likely.

Options are buses... or cheap rental car. Since you are traveling alone, and if you don't mind the status symbol stuff.. get a small car for $30/day from hotwire (that's including all fees except gas).

The buses are not bad, and given you are traveling alone (no kids and gear to tote around) they should be just fine. It's part of the experience

Thanks Flynnibus
    I think I'll stick with the buses.
    What about letting Magic Express pick up my checke bags? I'm kind of paranoid about this.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Thanks Flynnibus
    I think I'll stick with the buses.
    What about letting Magic Express pick up my checke bags? I'm kind of paranoid about this.
    The only variable people seem to report there is how quickly your bags show up in your room - no real horror stories on lost stuff, just that you need to plan that you will not likely have your bags with you as soon as you arrive. Given the stupid flight check-in rules we have now, taking some personal care items on carried luggage may be an issue.

I would vote to leave the bags with them - enjoy your vacation - just plan ahead that you will not have your bags immediatly and depending on the time of your arrive, plan ahead what your activities will be when you first get there and think what you may need.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy-poo View Post
    I recommend Liberty Tree Tavern, great food, and if you sit by the window, you can watch people go from FrontierLand to Liberty Square.

Good suggestion, but maybe not so good.

I like Liberty Tree too, but the OP is a single person traveling alone.

Now, I travel alone all the time, and have no problem eating alone, or even joining stragers (I like to join them into one big stranger)

But, I will not eat at Liberty Tree or Ohana alone. A buffet where you serve yourself is fine alone, but its something about sitting at a table by yourself where the wait staff comes by and brings you (and only you) family platters of food. It just seems odd to me.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Thanks again Flynnibus and thankyou too Phonedave.
    What would be a good counter service restaraunt in the MK? I was thinking about Cosmic Ray's, is it any good?

• Wild About Disney

I think Cosmic Ray's has good food. If you want excellent food and don't mind sitting alone at a character meal, the Crystal Palace has the best food (in my opinion) at the MK. I think you will enjoy the differences in the rides betwen DL and MK, my husband and I sure did on our first trip to WDW. We are from CA and relocated to Florida and we like WDW very, very much.

Have a fabulous trip!
    SimbaLynn

• Pilot EdForceOne

Thanks again Flynnibus and thankyou too Phonedave.
    What would be a good counter service restaraunt in the MK? I was thinking about Cosmic Ray's, is it any good?
    Pecos Bills and Village Haus I would point you towards

• Why can't you tune a fish

Village Haus (Figaro Fries !)
    and
    Harbor House

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast