Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Arrow The Haunted Mansion... what needs to be done.

Master Gracey will see you now. Oh wait, he realized his house is too dirty and hasn't been rehabed in like, forever. Nevermind, he won't see you now. Here is why you'll have to wait until September to see the Mansion:

I visited the mansion during its last day of operation. Here are the problems I noticed.

First, right off the bat, there was trash everywhere in the queue. It was disgusting. And some pavement needs replacing. So that needs to be looked at, but that kinda goes without being said. And anyway, the way I understand it, the queue is being re-done anyway, so I don't think I need to worry so much. Personally, I'd like some more trees to replace the lost ones in the queue, but no one asked me.

On to the next stuff. This is general, should have been done a long time ago, stuff. The outside of the mansion, from the way I understand it, isn't supposed to be haunted. It goes back to an old Walt quote, now, it was said about Disneyland, but I think it applies here as well. "Here at Disneyland, we'll take care of the outside, keep it clean and such, just like all our other attractions, but the ghosts will take care of the inside." Now, I can't tell you if those are Walt's exact words, but they are very similar if not exact. And you can understand where I am coming from. The Mansion shouldn't look like crap on the outside. But it does. And let me explain.

The paint is chipping on all the railings. There are random empty metal boxes hanging off the side on the railing that overlooks the river. The weeds are overgrown in the bushes, the lawn hasn't been weeded in ages, and there is no excuse at all that I can see the showbuilding clearly on both sides of the mansion. All that is needed is some type of vine for the fence on the left side, and some trees, but no, even that hasn't been done. On the right side of the mansion, well, I think that side needs at least 5 trees, some shrubs, and some smaller trees or bushes, to hide that showbuilding entirely, but it needs to be done none the less.

I'd love to have more trees in the queue itself, and maybe the misters similar to the ones that exist in the queue for the Tower of Terror. They really help in the summer!

Once inside, the lobby looks pretty good. Master Gracey's portrait looks like it has seen better days, but oh well. I noticed that the AC needs work. It used to be much colder in the mansion, and if you compare it with California's, well, it's about 15 degrees colder in Cali. And it should be cold, it's haunted!

Inside the stretch rooms, the scrim above has not been aligned correctly, and it is bent, making the design swirl to an extent. Doesn't quite look like a real ceiling because of that. The portraits could use replacing, as well as the wallpaper. Now, I also noticed that it is not loud enough. In California, the subwoofers in this room make the room rattle when you hear the thunder. It sounds real, and it's loud. Here in Florida, it is weak and pathetic. I think that goes for the entire sound system. So, all the audio needs to be upgraded in the mansion. And the lighting could use some help too, not just in the stretch rooms mind you, but in the entire attraction.

As we exit into the queue for boarding our "Doombuggies," I notice that the faux wood paneling needs to be repainted on the left hand side, and the velvet wallpaper needs replacing, it has all worn off at the bottom. The chains need to be re-coated or replaced with new gold. The bats, still with shorter ears ever since they were filed down because of the sharp edges, definately need to be shined up a bit. And some of the faux marble paneling needs to be replaced, as it is chipped. And some black paint is needed here and there.

Once in the Doombuggies, well, what can I say? There are two types, the old and new. Right now they are in the process of replacing all of the doombuggies, so I hope that is completed by the time the rehab is over. Though, the audio still sounded pretty bad, even in a new doombuggy. I hope that will be fixed.

Just a side note, I've always felt that the boarding area in FL lacked so much. There is very little to actually see, especially compared to the same area in California. So, I'd love to see some improvements there, but I doubt I'll ever see it. Okay, end of rant.

The first stairway isn't lit up as it used to be. I don't know what is happening here, but I hope something good will happen on that stairway. It's always been kind of pointless, at least to me.

The hallway of portraits needs something cooler, eyes that follow me don't do it anymore. Honestly, I'd move these to the queue, that would give you something to look at, then put something cooler here. But that's just me.

The library, well, not much can be done. It is what it is.

I'd like the piano in the music room to be more phantom of the opera like, with something a little better then the current slide show that attempts to create movement of the shadow on the keyboard. A movie projector would work wonders. Not to mention lightning outside that window.

As we go up the stairs into pure darkness, I can't help but wonder why nothing is here. It's just blah. Give me something better then spiders!

The endless hallway is still there, but I'd like the see the effect from Paris with the bride that vanishes and shows up holding the candles. That would be a cool effect to see here.

The hall of doors needs the cute pictures and sayings that appear in the DL version of the attraction. It's too bare here.

Madame Leota's room needs a lot more. The floating head goes without saying, but I'd love to see more then that! The more effects in this room, the better! She was also not loud enough all around the room, only in front of her.

The ballroom's lighting needs to be fixed, the mechanics are too loud, and the curtains need to be in a fan so they move like in California. I'd love to see the Phantom from Phantom Manor, or at least hear his laugh, but I doubt we'll ever get that. Vincent Price was amazing.

The attic I hope will get the Constance re-do that happened in California. Cross your fingers everyone! Though the lack of a piano player in FL might make it a little different.

As my Doombuggy goes out the window and decends into the graveyard, I notice many things. In California, the trees are lit up in green and purple. Here, they are dark and pointless. The stars are fiber-optic in California. Here they are glow-in-the-dark. Wish they could fix those problems!

The graveyard itself has audio that is not in sync. The Singing Busts Audio is not in sync with the rest of the graveyard. That needs to be fixed. The scrim... well, the projected ghosts are cool, but let's be honest. We don't need scrim. Rip it out and replace it with a liquid nitro system for the attraction. I have no idea what that would cost, but I look at it in a few ways. One, you don't have to spend as much on the AC. Two, it adds the effect of fog, which is what the scrim was there for anyway. And Three, well, you could keep the very first piece of scrim you see when you first go out the attic, and have the ghosts move up from that piece. But the other scrim looks bad, and it really doesn't belong anyway. But I suppose they'll just replace the scrim. Boooo. But it does need replacing if they don't do my liquid nitro idea. It's all stretched to pieces.

Finally, the hitchhiking ghosts! They need to be worked on, lighting wise, because I can see the wall through the mirror, and mechanically, because the head on mine was about 5 inches in front of his body. lol.

Little Leota's face was flickering. Looks like she is... well, nvm.

The bats have also worn off of the moving platform belt. They need to find a better way to paint stuff on these belts so it stays on. lol.

Well, that's my in-depth Mansion report on why Master Gracey needs to take the summer off. It's a very needed rehab, and I hope someone in WDI reads this and makes sure to not overlook anything that I have mentioned. Because if they don't, well, it will never get fixed!

And I didn't even touch the lighting at night on the mansion. That needs to be re-evaluated as well! Ha!

Good luck HM Rehab Team! And thanks for removing FastPass! Ha!

--------

The Haunted Mansion is currently under a major rehab that will last through mid-September, just in time to open for Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party.

Walls have been put up, and a note from the Ghost Host, Master Gracey, himself is posted requesting you to "hurry back."

EDIT: Here are the pictures!
    http://picasaweb.google.com/magicale...dMansionPhotos
    Read the captions for a better understanding of where they go.
    Last edited by Bill; 06-07-2007 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Added pictures link
    -Bill

Re: The Haunted Mansion... what needs to be done.

The endless hallway is still there, but I'd like the see the effect from Paris with the bride that vanishes and shows up holding the candles. That would be a cool effect to see here.
    None of the ghosts are supposed to materialize until after the Seance Room

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Then why does it happen in Paris? lol
    -Bill

different storyline and everything

One of the things I hope they do is improve the pop-ups in the graveyard
    You can always see the pole, they used to look scarier, etc.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Ah, but they have the seance in Paris too. I'm just saying... I'm not sure it would detract much. Not to mention the hands coming through the coffin and the doors in the hallway.
    -Bill

• Banned User

Hey Bill isnt there a way you can bring this to either WDI or Magic Kingdom's upper management's attention?

Now is the time to do it...

• I Miss WDW

Peterhead, Scotland (i.e. Way too far away!)

When is it the Haunted Mansion is opening again in September? I love this ride and don't want to come over and not be able to see it

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

WDI already has their plans made. The moment that mansion closed, I think Tuesday night, WDI took over right after. They have been in there nonstop with a lot of work to do.

As for lightning in the music room... it used to have it. It was removed. It was the only way that you saw the piano players shadow actually.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Ah, but they have the seance in Paris too. I'm just saying... I'm not sure it would detract much. Not to mention the hands coming through the coffin and the doors in the hallway.
    Seance in Paris isn't as much making the ghosts materialize as much as it is inviting them to Melanie's (the Bride) wedding reception. Story over in Paris is generally the conflict between the Bride and the Phantom(her dickhead father).
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

<spits coke out of mouth>

I think you just made me laugh a little too hard with that last line. Good way of putting it! <LOL>

• Disappearing/Reappearing

The first stairway isn't lit up as it used to be
    wait....WHAT stairway??? I have rode this 9 million times, and don't remember a stairway.

The hallway of portraits needs something cooler, eyes that follow me don't do it anymore
    if they could rig it to look like the people were coming out of the pictures....that would be awesome!

The portraits could use replacing
    can I have the old ones???

Right now they are in the process of replacing all of the doombuggies,
    it would be SOOOO cool if they could at least put a little menacing gargoyle on the top of the buggies.....maybe a cobweb design on the sides...it's a DOOM buggy people...DOOM......let's make it look DOOM FUL!!!

I'd like the piano in the music room to be more phantom of the opera like,
    I don't even think the keys were moving when we went.

Not to mention lightning outside that window
    isn't it supposed to be a thunderstorm??? With lightning and stuff??? Just looks dark now.

Give me something better then spiders!
    I HATE HATE HATE the spiders.....it's just like...wtheck?! Please, ANYTHING but, the bright orange spiders!!

Madame Leota's room needs a lot more
    my thoughts for this room are posted in another thread.... What Are Your Spooky Ideal Enhancements for The Haunted Mansion's Refurb

The attic I hope will get the Constance re-do that happened in California
    PLEASE!!!! That is horrible. It and the spiders...have GOT TO GO!!!!!

The only other thing I have to bring up is what SmellyO said. The pop ups need.......something....anything....

It's 3 1/2 months. I'm hoping for some levitating doom buggies at this point!!! J/K. However, WDI is sure to have researched so many new effects for their park rides. Don't be suprised to see a resurgence in innovation for this refurb. Afterall, look what they have done to the mansions in other parks. The next time I ride WDW's mansion; my personal favorite, I want to be amazed the same way I was on my first ride when I was seven. Those ghost seemed much more realistic in "92" than in "06." Let's bring that back!!!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

If anyone can or would like to, that knows how to, send this to the project team for the HM Refurb out here, that way at least the things that definately need to be looked at will be.
    -Bill

• Banned User

Phil.Holmes@Disney.com

Meg.Crofton@Disney.com

I cut and paste what you wrote and submitted it to them for attention. Please bring anything else about poor resort upkeep to their attention.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Who told you those emails?

And Phil, while I know he's a nice guy, just can't seem to keep his park running nicely. Just walk around the Magic Kingdom for a while, and you'll see how bad the park has fallen out of shape. (Gotta go out to Disneyland and see how good of shape that park is in first, that way you can compare! lol)
    -Bill

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast