Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Blog Entries

Re: was planning a wdw xmas trip, not so sure now, is it safe???

The WDW property is twice the size of Manhattan with over 100,000 people on property every day or more, and how many attacks have happened over the past year. Just a few. The big robbery the other day which was tragic, but anytime you have that many people on a property its bound to happen sooner or later. Then the weird fight at the teacups, and the people who got arrested from New Jersey.

That's like 4 bad apples out of 100s of thousands. You're safer at a Disney Resort than you are sitting in your home right now.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed-One View Post
    thanks for your advice, we will be staying at POFQ, have you stayed here before and is it well lit at night?
    POFQ is a wonderfully lit resort and while it is considered a Downtown Disney Resort, it is far enough away that people couldn't just meander over from DTD at will. The boat ride takes about 20-30 minutes depending so if your worried about the crime factor in that regard, I believe your perfectly safe.

POFQ is my all time FAVORITE resort at WDW, it's intimate, the theme is fabulous (if you like that sort of thing) and the boat ride to DTD is a nice change from the bus.

I would not normally be out late at night but if i were at wdw i would stay out as long as the parks are open. I just beleive that it's better to be safe than sorry.
    You stated that you would use taxis, I personally would recommend the bus transportation that Disney offers. 1. It's free. 2. It offers you a little more security as more people will be on the bus. 3. I personally have never heard of any crime on the Disney buses. 4. It drops you off right at your resort and no where else.

I understand your concern but if you just make smart choices and use a little caution (of course that's anywhere. ) then you will be just fine!

I sincerely hope you enjoy your vacation however.

• Back to WDW soon!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    POFQ is a wonderfully lit resort and while it is considered a Downtown Disney Resort, it is far enough away that people couldn't just meander over from DTD at will. The boat ride takes about 20-30 minutes depending so if your worried about the crime factor in that regard, I believe your perfectly safe.

POFQ is my all time FAVORITE resort at WDW, it's intimate, the theme is fabulous (if you like that sort of thing) and the boat ride to DTD is a nice change from the bus.

You stated that you would use taxis, I personally would recommend the bus transportation that Disney offers. 1. It's free. 2. It offers you a little more security as more people will be on the bus. 3. I personally have never heard of any crime on the Disney buses. 4. It drops you off right at your resort and no where else.

I understand your concern but if you just make smart choices and use a little caution (of course that's anywhere. ) then you will be just fine!

I sincerely hope you enjoy your vacation however.
    Thank you, that has been a big help. I would only be using taxi's for when i go to places outside disney like shopping malls, sea world, etc, the rest of the time i would use the disney transport.

• Disney Dreams

I have never stayed at POFQ, but I HAVE stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. Both are very well lit resorts. Really, these last few situations have just been bad luck at WDW, and I sincerely can say that these are not common events. Go to WDW, and have FUN! As mentioned, STAY WITHIN THE DISNEY TRANSPORTATION. It's the safest way to travel within Disney, and really the most efficient. Relax, stay alert and make good choices, and just have a fantastic trip I have been to WDW at Christmas time, and it's magnificent. Just beware those long lines, and you'll LOVE it!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Thank you, it's very likely that i will still go, it's just that after reading all the storys it gave me doubts. When i have had a few days to get over what i read i will probably feel better about going.

In the past we have always walked around everywhere with money bags around our waists, i have been told since this is not a good idea as it's an easy target for robbers. But i guess that any potential robbers will know that as we are tourists we will have money on us somewhere, regardless.
    I know exactly how you feel. It usually also takes me a few days to get rid of the worries. Sometimes they come back, but they always manage to go away faster as the anticipation builds and the trips get closer .

The only thing Disney may steal from you is your attention and imagination .

If you are a tad worried about someone stealing from you, make sure you keep your hands on your valuable possessions at all times. Also don't bring anything of value with you that you won't be using. Only take into the parks what you need .

But all in all, I think you can trust Disney when it comes to safety and protection. They don't want anything bad happening to you .

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

And poeple are posting that the police in the state they live in knew the couple already - so it's likely this was something shady and not some random attack.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• no flash photography...

yes, just use common sense while on vacation. I would never walk up to a strangers car where I live and I certainly would not in a location I'm not familiar with.

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

Charmed One, I have personally never stayed at POFQ but family has while I was working at WDW. They felt very safe and I can assure you that I always felt safe walking to my car after a night at Pleasure Island or a late working shift. I do believe the media loves making incidents that happen at Disney into a circus show. In the 6 years I worked there, I maybe heard of one or two incidents.

Don't go into your trip paranoid as it might hinder your fun.

• "There's always my way"

All I have to say is that these crimes can occur anywhere at any time outside of Disney. Unfortunately, it happened at Disney World recently. I've been going to WDW for many years now and I've never had a problem at all. Don't be turned off because of this incident that occured this past week. Come on down and enjoy WDW during the winter time. It is the best time to visit the Disney parks.

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

• "There's always my way"

on one other note, I would say, worry more about finding a good deal with lodging and with the lines over crime.

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

the orlando sentinal posted an article today saying the kidnapped couple decided not to prosecute after they were asked to work with a composite sketch artist and take a version of a lie detector test. I'm wondering how true their story actually is. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...home-headlines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12