Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Back to WDW soon!!!!!!!!!

Sad was planning a wdw xmas trip, not so sure now, is it safe???

I don't want to sound a wimp but i have been reading about all the recent crime at wdw and i have to be honest, it has put me off going.
    Me and my mum and dad were planning to go for 2 weeks in december, we have been before but the last time was 8 years ago.

From what i have read lately, it sounds like it has got a lot worse regarding crime since we last went. The story about the tourists that were robbed at downtown disney really worried me as we were planning on staying at Port Orleans French Quarter which is in the downtown disney area, we chose to stay on site for many reasons and one of the main reasons was that we would feel safer and this would be the first time we have stayed at POFQ.

We have stayed off site before, the first time was way back in 1992 and we always felt a bit uneasy walking back to our room at night with it being so dark and quiet and being right on the side of a main highway where anyone can just pull in off the road and could get to your room. A lot of the time we would be the only ones getting off the shuttle for that hotel and there would be no other guests around at all. When we have stayed on site it was a different feeling altogether, there were many other guests about when we went back to the room at night and most if not all of them on the shuttle buses would be getting of at your hotel and i feel much safer in a crowd. Having read what i have i have lost a lot of the trust i had in disney but if i do decide to still go it will definetly be on site.

I know that sometimes you have to take a chance with things otherwise you would not do anything but i don't want to go and feel uneasy the whole time i am there. We have saved a long time for this holiday and we want to be able to relax and enjoy it and most importantly, feel safe.
    I suffer with anxiety which does not help the situation, am i blowing this out of proportion or do i have reason to worry?.

If i do decide to still go is there any areas that i should avoid safety wise?. Apart from the disney parks we would be going to Sea World, Universal Studios, Discovery Cove, various shopping malls and a couple of dinner shows, we never have a car, we always use taxi's outside disney.

I would really appreciate your views as i live in england so i don't get all the latest news and information on wdw like you all do. At the moment nothing is booked but we were on the verge of booking our flight, hotel, etc, now i don't know what to do.

• Wild About Disney

Re: was planning a wdw xmas trip, not so sure now, is it safe???

I think that the news media has blown the recent problems at WDW out of proportion. We ( and I by myself) have walked in Downtown Disney quite late at night and never encountered any type of problems. Unfortunately, when Disney is involved there is lots of speculation. You can be sure that Disney will beef up security and I think that you and your Mom would be safe and have a very fun time.

I would advise that you use common sense and not approach vehicles with people in them you don't know and stay away from dark, empty areas, but we have found Orlando to be very safe.

I hope that you will have a wonderful trip.
    SimbaLynn

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I think you should be alright to be honest. Just when you're out walking don't bring anything of value that you don't need. I mean, it's not every day that you really hear about people getting robbed on Disney property. It seems quite rare to me.

I think you should go because fear and happiness are mindsets. You shouldn't let it disable you from having fun . Plus, it only makes things worse if you keep dwelling on the fear. I don't think you should let anything stop you from having fun. I'm sure you deserve it .

I am in the same boat with you too. Ask people here on MC like Hakuna Makarla and Wolfy999. I am a worry wart! They saw how much I started to worry days before I traveled out to California to visit Disneyland. Then when I left Disneyland, I laughed at myself for worrying over nothing .

I think you should go to Disney World and I bet you will have a good time .

Thank you for your reply. As we use taxi's a lot outside disney we have also been advised to beware of fake taxi drivers, is this a problem in the disney area?

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I think you should be alright to be honest. Just when you're out walking don't bring anything of value that you don't need. I mean, it's not every day that you really hear about people getting robbed on Disney property. It seems quite rare to me.

I think you should go because fear and happiness are mindsets. You shouldn't let it disable you from having fun . Plus, it only makes things worse if you keep dwelling on the fear. I don't think you should let anything stop you from having fun. I'm sure you deserve it .

I am in the same boat with you too. Ask people here on MC like Hakuna Makarla and Wolfy999. I am a worry wart! They saw how much I started to worry days before I traveled out to California to visit Disneyland. Then when I left Disneyland, I laughed at myself for worrying over nothing .

I think you should go to Disney World and I bet you will have a good time .
    Thank you, it's very likely that i will still go, it's just that after reading all the storys it gave me doubts. When i have had a few days to get over what i read i will probably feel better about going.

In the past we have always walked around everywhere with money bags around our waists, i have been told since this is not a good idea as it's an easy target for robbers. But i guess that any potential robbers will know that as we are tourists we will have money on us somewhere, regardless.

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

Where I always believe you should take adequate precautions to be safe no matter where you are, I also believe the media loves to take a story about Disney and blow it out of proportion. You can't let a few unfortunate incidents keep you away. Make sure at night you stay to a well lit path and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SorcererMickey View Post
    Where I always believe you should take adequate precautions to be safe no matter where you are, I also believe the media loves to take a story about Disney and blow it out of proportion. You can't let a few unfortunate incidents keep you away. Make sure at night you stay to a well lit path and I'm sure you'll be fine.
    thanks for your advice, we will be staying at POFQ, have you stayed here before and is it well lit at night?

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I don't think you would have a problem at all. If you are worried about taxi drivers, stay on property and use their transportation. You can stay on property for about the same price you would pay to stay off site and use taxis. I thnk you will be fine. Like someone said before, you have to realize that Disney is a huge corp. and the media takes any chance it can to blow things out of proportion.

• Circle of Ancients

Things like this happen EVERYWHERE, not just at WDW. You can go into your local store and something like this can happen.

Look at how many people are at WDW on an average day. If you take the last years attendance figures for all 4 parks which is rougly 42 million per year (this is for all parks combined) and divide that by 365 days, that's roughly 126,000 per day in the parks. Not counting the waterparks, off-park activities and DtD. That's the size of a pretty large city.

Stuff happens. Go to WDW, have your fun and don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Things like this happen EVERYWHERE, not just at WDW. You can go into your local store and something like this can happen.

Look at how many people are at WDW on an average day. If you take the last years attendance figures for all 4 parks which is rougly 42 million per year (this is for all parks combined) and divide that by 365 days, that's roughly 126,000 per day in the parks. Not counting the waterparks, off-park activities and DtD. That's the size of a pretty large city.

Thank you everyone for your advice, i know you are all right and i am just over reacting but i do scare easily. It would only take someone to say boo to me and i would jump out of my skin

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

I agree.
    I'm wondering what crime-free place that the OP lives.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• May the F=ma be with you

I have been telling people the same thing for the past six years. The goal of thiefs, crooks and other members of these ranks have a gol. Their goal is to 1. terrorize you and 2. rob or whatever malicious action they may want to take. If you worry about something happening to you, then you are submitting to these person's ideals.

As Mr.Clinks stated, these and worse happen every 5 minutes or so in any city. There is no reason to be worried. All I have to say to you is be prudent and have a fun, relaxing time.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I agree.
    I'm wondering what crime-free place that the OP lives.
    I live in a very small town about 3 hours drive from london and i can honestly say that nothing like this has happened where i live, we get minor things happen but nothing like this, i have lived here all my life(29) years and i would'nt have stayed here all this time if i was not happy here, i am very well aware that things could happen but up until now nothing major has happened.
    Of course there is a lot of crime in the country as a whole and a lot of it is severe crime which is why you need to consider carefully where you go and what you do. I would not normally be out late at night but if i were at wdw i would stay out as long as the parks are open. I just beleive that it's better to be safe than sorry.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed-One View Post
    I live in a very small town about 3 hours drive from london and i can honestly say that nothing like this has happened where i live, we get minor things happen but nothing like this, i have lived here all my life(29) years and i would'nt have stayed here all this time if i was not happy here, i am very well aware that things could happen but up until now nothing major has happened.
    Of course there is a lot of crime in the country as a whole and a lot of it is severe crime which is why you need to consider carefully where you go and what you do. I would not normally be out late at night but if i were at wdw i would stay out as long as the parks are open. I just beleive that it's better to be safe than sorry.

There is being prudent/safe and there is cowering in fear. Really, WDW is safe. But thats not to say you should blithly wander around. EVERYONE should be aware of their surroundings, that would do wonders.

Just take normal common sense precautions. But by no means let fear dictate your life.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The tourists that were robbed last week were walking back to their hotel after midnight, which is dumb to do no matter where you are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast