Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• My Boss Has No Idea

Question How wierd is mid-June WDW weather?

I'm a California-boy born and raised, and have never been in rain while it's 90+ degrees out. I'll be taking off for WDW Sunday morning and the forecast calls for scattered T-Storms with a 90 degree average probably the majority of the week.

I'm a little discouraged already because I've never been on a vacation in bad weather, but is this even considered bad weather? How rainy does it need to be for the parks/rides to shut down?? Is mother nature going to ruin my 1st trip to WDW???

Please, someone shed some light this. I desperately need some cheering up...

COMING IN THE YEAR 2020

• Banned User

Re: How wierd is mid-June WDW weather?

mother nature shouldn't totally ruin your trip but when they say scattered showers or isolated showers they mean just that. It could be raining at animal kingdom and not at MK. showers usually hit in the afternoon or early evening, so the afternoon parades get cancelled. but over all it's just hot and humid. the best thing to do is buy one of those spritz bottles and fan yourself as well as spray yourself, also drink lots and lots of water even if you aren't thirsty because heat prostration can catch up to you quickly.

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

It might not be quite as bad in mid June but after it rains the ground starts "smoking". Instead of cooling off like it would in most of the country, FL actually gets more humid. It can rain in one park but not another.

•   
    • Main Street VIPs

Jafar:

I can totally relate to how you are feeling. I am also born and raised in SoCal and have spent a lot of time in Orlando recently (five trips in three years). The Orlando weather takes some getting used to, but it won't wreck your trip unless you let it. Most of the thunderstorms are very short and not very disruptive to park operations. The strange thing about Central Florida weather (to a Californian anyway) is that November, December and January are their dryer months and June, July and August are the wetter months!

YOU MUST HAVE A PONCHO! I had never in my lifetime worn a poncho, but it is a must-have in Orlando. I would recommend that you buy one as soon as you get into the parks because if you wait until it rains, you will be competing with hundreds of others in the gift shops. By the way, the ponchos are not on display, but nearly every shop has them under the counter.

Wikipedia has a lot of historical weather data here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando,_Florida

Hope this helps. Believe me, weather notwithstanding, you are going to have a great time.
    Rick

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Yeah, I was really surprised this past trip (5/21-6/4) to Orlando how weird the weather was... so weird (by Florida standards) that it was actually pleasant!! First the lack of rain surprised me. But for the "tropical storm" that blew in the very last weekend (and really hit overnight), there was hardly a sprinkle. Very strange; I remember from past trips how it rained pretty much everyday, even if for just a few minutes (this takes getting used to for Californians). I didn't know that Florida has been suffering from such drastic drought conditions (something we are familiar with in CA).

Even the humidity wasn't that bad this trip; a lot lower than usual. It was very mild and pleasantly warm for most of the trip. And the evenings were nice as well. Overall it reminded me a lot of the weather in Hawaii: even and mild during the day and at night. It almost got downright chilly once or twice with the breezy conditions a couple nights. But not bad at all. I really enjoyed the weather this time.

I'm sure that even in the week or more that I've been home it's probably warmed up a lot down there... summer's gonna be harsh I'm sure.
    --Jonathan

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

You can set your watch to the almost daily rainstorms in central Florida. Sometime between 3-5pm nearly every day it'll rain 30-60 minutes, then clear up for the rest of the night. Crazy!

• My Boss Has No Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    It could be raining at animal kingdom and not at MK.
    That's pretty mind blowing! I hope I'm in the right place at the right time!

Quote Originally Posted by Rixter View Post
    YOU MUST HAVE A PONCHO! I had never in my lifetime worn a poncho, but it is a must-have in Orlando. I would recommend that you buy one as soon as you get into the parks because if you wait until it rains, you will be competing with hundreds of others in the gift shops.
    How about an umbrella? Will that be just as good?

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    You can set your watch to the almost daily rainstorms in central Florida. Sometime between 3-5pm nearly every day it'll rain 30-60 minutes, then clear up for the rest of the night. Crazy!
    I'll take your word for it. I know it's unavoidable so hopefully I'll be able to duck-out of each storm just in time. I'll quote you in my trip report if a storm hits at that time

COMING IN THE YEAR 2020

• Disney Dreams

As creepy as this is, I back that up 100%. It's true! When this is the forecast, it will normally rain around the time of the Dreams Come True Parade, or until 6. The day could have been clear for a while before, it will be terrible, then perfectly nice the rest of the night. For rides to close, you have to have LIGHTNING. Splash Mountain ( for instance ) continues operating until the first sight of lightning. Then the ride closes until 30 min. after the last lightning strike. ( I believe that the resort pools go by this same rule ). I'm going to be in WDW from the 16th to the 24th, and I expect quite humid temp. for most to all of the trip. An umbrella is recommended, but the rain usually gets to the point of hanging out in a gift shop ( or an inside ride ) for most of the time. As someone mentioned, get a PONCHO. You'd never think they work, but they DO and it's great. An umbrella will not withstand the pouring rain. Trust me. GET A PONCHO. And as crazy as most of these posts are, it's TRUE. In Feb. for instance, when I visited, it was FREEZING ( and I mean freezing ) in the MK. We went to Animal Kingdom, and it was WARM. You tell me. I've been to MK in the pouring rain, and we went to MGM. It was NOT RAINING! We were staying on the Monorail, so on our way back to the Contemporary, it was RAINING AGAIN! It was a bit odd, but there was one point where our bus just passed and the terrible storm just stopped. It was like the difference between night and day. TAKE a water bottle, and as someone said, one of those fan/spritzer things. They're miracle workers when you're at AK ( the WARMEST park IMO ), or really any park. So bottom line - HAVE FUN, and ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!! Our WDW weather is difficult to get used to, but once you do, you'll LOVE your trip!

• I Love Teaching!

Great question, Captain Rex and I are leaving on Friday, and I wasn't sure about the rain thing as well. Thanks!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

This is absolutely right, you could set your watch to it.

Quote Originally Posted by JafarFarAway... View Post
    That's pretty mind blowing! I hope I'm in the right place at the right time!
    How about an umbrella? Will that be just as good?
    I'll take your word for it. I know it's unavoidable so hopefully I'll be able to duck-out of each storm just in time. I'll quote you in my trip report if a storm hits at that time
    I use an umbrella and it works just fine for me. The only thing you have to watch is if its a windy rain, you might be unable to avoid getting something wet. Although that is a perfect time to ride Splash Mountain.

One thing that people haven't mentioned is after that rain starts, most tourists leave the parks because they think it will rain for the rest of the day. That 30-40 minute rule definitely applies here, they leave and you get a less crowded park for the rest of the day. That's worth waiting around if you ask me.

Enjoy your vacation!

• Disney Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    This is absolutely right, you could set your watch to it.

I use an umbrella and it works just fine for me. The only thing you have to watch is if its a windy rain, you might be unable to avoid getting something wet. Although that is a perfect time to ride Splash Mountain.

One thing that people haven't mentioned is after that rain starts, most tourists leave the parks because they think it will rain for the rest of the day. That 30-40 minute rule definitely applies here, they leave and you get a less crowded park for the rest of the day. That's worth waiting around if you ask me.

Enjoy your vacation!
    I forgot! That's very right! Many people ( possibly 300+ people ) leave the park when it begins to rain like that, but definitely wait it out. Do your souveneir shopping and such during this time, as that would be the smartest thing to do to make the most of having to wait.

• Why can't you tune a fish

And umbrella can work if the park is not too crowded and you have a free hand to use (If you have kids, or are carrying packages, fortget it)

I too recommend a poncho

However, if at all possible DO NOT BUY ONE AT DISNEY. Go to a camping/hiking/outdoor store and buy a rain jacket (heck, if you are nuts, buy a rain suit)

It will cost you a bit ($60 or so and UP - way up), but it is well worth it.

Picture this. It's hot (90 F hot) it's raining, and the humidity is up in stratosphere. What do you want to wear, the 10$ Disney glorified trash bag with arm holes. Solid sticky plastic that clings to you and tunrs wet inside from all your trapped sweat

or

A more exensive top that is cut like a jackt, where you can open the zipper to let air in, that also has vent holes under the arms, that is made of fabric that breathes - letting out water vaport while keeping liquid water out, and that may even have a flocked lining to feel soft inside as opposed to sticky plastic.

As an added bonus, backpacking raingear is designed to stuff down into a very small package. (it has to fit in the pack you know)

Just taking a quick look on line

Here is a poncho that looks head and shoulder above the Disney plastic bag

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

and this one looks good too

Of course if you are from the West coast you a most likely loyal to REI -

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    And umbrella can work if the park is not too crowded and you have a free hand to use (If you have kids, or are carrying packages, fortget it)

I too recommend a poncho

However, if at all possible DO NOT BUY ONE AT DISNEY. Go to a camping/hiking/outdoor store and buy a rain jacket (heck, if you are nuts, buy a rain suit)

Picture this. It's hot (90 F hot) it's raining, and the humidity is up in stratosphere. What do you want to wear, the 10$ Disney glorified trash bag with arm holes. Solid sticky plastic that clings to you and tunrs wet inside from all your trapped sweat

or

A more exensive top that is cut like a jackt, where you can open the zipper to let air in, that also has vent holes under the arms, that is made of fabric that breathes - letting out water vaport while keeping liquid water out, and that may even have a flocked lining to feel soft inside as opposed to sticky plastic.

As an added bonus, backpacking raingear is designed to stuff down into a very small package. (it has to fit in the pack you know)

Just taking a quick look on line

Here is a poncho that looks head and shoulder above the Disney plastic bag

and this one looks good too

Of course if you are from the West coast you a most likely loyal to REI -

-dave
    Leave it to phoneDave to take poncho buying to a new level.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave

Well, I don't know if I agree with this. If you were going on a trek deep in the Amazon rain forests, no I wouldn't recommend taking that poncho you got at WDW with Mickey prancing around on it. But as most people explained in Orlando it might rain everyday... but for barely a half hour or more (many times less). If you duck into a store for a few minutes (which is good to get out of the heat anyway) you'll find on many days it will pass before you even break out the poncho. This is what most people mean by "getting used to it." Those unfamiliar will panic at the first sign of heavy rain and break out all storm gear, and as soon as they get back outside... it stops!

I don't think it's really worth it to invest in a fancy Grizzly Adams poncho for a trip to WDW... unless you plan to get more use out of it going to some other destinations like camping or backpacking (or at home, in which case you probably already own one!).

Also, as far as the "compact" nature of the Disney ponchos... they fold down to barely more than a business size envelope (if you don't wad them up and stuff them in a bag). I've taken my DLR poncho to WDW the last two trips, just by slipping it in a side pocket in my carry on.

But then again on the whole, I'm with SummerIF... I prefer umbrellas! And she's a Florida local!
    --Jonathan

• Disney Dreams

I'm a frequent WDW visitor ( once a month or so ), and though I wouldn't buy the camping gear poncho Dave suggested ( which looks very durable, btw ), I WOULD take an umbrella - easy to use, lightweight, and doesn't take long to open. But as DOOM BGI pointed out, the rain storms really pass so quickly, that it's best to just stay in a store for a few minutes, which, while it lets the storm pass, it also lets you cool off from the VERY humid temp. you'll be experiencing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast