Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Closed Account

Nostalgia HAS WON today

Im sorry to all these "MK is equal give it some slack, poor MK". Well guess what you who criticzie us nostalgic fanboys who love Disney pre-'96. The line for NEMO is................................................ .................................................. ..........................................

[B]SIX HOURS!!![B] Do you hear and SEE That Phil, Meg and Al? the line for a 48 year old E Ticket is SIX HOURS Long!!!! Whats the wait and Stitch and Monsters DEARS? Oh yea...................................
    Somewhere Walt is smiling and beaming. The standards and entertainment value set forth 50 + years ago reared its head today. Tonys star must have burst the starosphere today. Jay And Lasster will never look at him the same way again.

Disney Apologosts, please eat this crow w/ honey dijon

Official "Finding Nemo: Submarine Voyage" Pictures, Information, and Reviews

Re: Nostalgia HAS WON today

What is the matter starting one thread about the subs here wasn't enough for you.

• Vehicle rotating backward

And all it took was $80 million including already provided infastructure leftover from the previous ride.

If nostalgia was the main draw, they wouldn't have to spend as much as almost any other modern E-ticket (including a dry-for-wet attraction like TDS' 20K) just on repairing and fixing up the old subs. I mean, I like em, but let's not fool ourselves.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    And all it took was $80 million including already provided infastructure leftover from the previous ride.

If nostalgia was the main draw, they wouldn't have to spend as much as almost any other modern E-ticket (including a dry-for-wet attraction like TDS' 20K) just on repairing and fixing up the old subs. I mean, I like em, but let's not fool ourselves.

It's the love of nostalgia that brought forth the funding to save the ride in the first place. They knew that the suits wouldn't approve reopening the same old thing so they had to find something new to put over it. Finding Nemo SAVED the day. And if Atlantis did well in the theaters... we'd be riding an Atlantis themed submarines right now.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post

It actually costed about $100 million due to repairing old structure and such and of course the suits are gonna think the reason there are 6 hour waits is because of the popularity of pixar's finding nemo rather than the return of a classic e-ticket sadly.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    It actually costed about $100 million due to repairing old structure and such and of course the suits are gonna think the reason there are 6 hour waits is because of the popularity of pixar's finding nemo rather than the return of a classic e-ticket sadly.

Did Epcot's The Living Seas have this much of a turn out? I'm curious.

I think this is an example where an attraction appeals to EVERYONE. Nostalgic for those old enough to remember, cool enough for everyone else.

• Why can't you tune a fish

And how much is the hype factor?

Yes, its a classic, and yes people want to ride on it because they remember riding on it as kids.

I remember riding the WDW subs, Myself, I thought they were pretty outdated, it was not one of my favorite attraction. However, I would queue up to ride them again if they were ever to re-open. Why? Because I remember riding them back when they were there, and its that memory that brings me back, not the ride itself.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    While ignoring their own marketing of "The subs are back." and "Resurfacing 2007". There is a reason the ads are saying this.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    The line for NEMO is................................................ .................................................. ..........................................

SIX HOURS!!!
    1) How are subs that just recently opened nostolgic? That would be like leaving Spaceship Earth dormant for 10 years and than putting a dark ride about Chicken Little in its place. Just because it uses the same area and same ride system (and CL happened to have a phone in the movie) doesn't make it nostolgic.

2) It isn't this popular on Nostalgia alone. It is the brand new technology (and new story) that had people coming in droves on opening day. The fact that Disneyland finally got another new attraction. The fact that an area dormant for nearly 10 years finally reopened. The fact that Disneyland sites have been hyping this for the past few years.

3) Is it not true that the attraction is also one of the slowest loading attractions at a Disney theme park? What is it, maximum, 1200 ppl/hr? I mean really, that's as bad as Test Track? And of course, that's assuming no breakdowns occur.

4) 240min = 4 hours. Which is what Soarin' & Test Track tends to get on holidays (and yes, I'd include grand opening as a holiday). Heck, even Mission: Space (which has a much higher capacity) got to over 2 hours on July 4th.

I say let's see what happens in a month. Once the novelty of having a new attraction wears off, how popular will it be? Will it turn out like Everest and continue being popular well past its opening?

Do you hear and SEE That Phil, Meg and Al? the line for a 48 year old E Ticket is SIX HOURS Long!!!! Whats the wait and Stitch and Monsters DEARS? Oh yea...................................
    Like it or not, attendance numbers speak for themselves. The Magic Kingdom has topped Disneyland for years. The last time DL topped MK was way back in 1996 (although MK also topped DL in '93 & '94). I mean MK's increase last year was twice DL's increase (even though DL was still celebrating its "birthday"). Just recently, WDW broke all types of attendance records, hinting that this year of a million dreams will be even bigger than last. So yes, like it or not, Meg will have the last laugh (if they were laughing, of course).
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

And Phil will laugh himself out the door. He's not going to be here for long if he doesn't get his park looking good again and get rid of the reduced hours on certain attractions crap he started pulling. He has to answer to Disneyland people now, and he has to impress them. If he doesn't, he'll be gone. Attend. isn't everything.
    -Bill

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    And Phil will laugh himself out the door. He's not going to be here for long if he doesn't get his park looking good again and get rid of the reduced hours on certain attractions crap he started pulling. He has to answer to Disneyland people now, and he has to impress them. If he doesn't, he'll be gone. Attend. isn't everything.
    Do you have any idea how close demand for Disneyland is to that of the Magic Kingdom?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    The fact that Disneyland finally got another new attraction.
    Maybe I'm missing the point, but it sounds like you're implying that it's been a long time vs. MK. Disneyland's last major E-ticket was only a few years ago in the relaunch of Space Mountain. What was the Magic Kingdom's most recent major attraction? And no, I don't mean the absolutely terrible Stitch or (I hear) also terrible Laugh Floor. Philharmagic is great but I wouldn't call it an E-ticket...

I believe Indiana Jones is even more recent than MK's latest E-ticket but am not sure on that one.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by jett View Post
    Maybe I'm missing the point, but it sounds like you're implying that it's been a long time vs. MK. Disneyland's last major E-ticket was only a few years ago in the relaunch of Space Mountain. What was the Magic Kingdom's most recent major attraction? And no, I don't mean the absolutely terrible Stitch or (I hear) also terrible Laugh Floor. Philharmagic is great but I wouldn't call it an E-ticket...
    1. I am not talking about e-ticket attractions, I am talking about any attractions. And no, there is no point to be missing. I'm talking about DL. I am not implying anything about MK.
    2. A refurbished Space Mountain does not count as a new E-Ticket. I mean, if you are going to call that an E-Ticket, why not call MK's refurbished Small World an E-Ticket?
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator

Just to clear things up, Space Mountain relaunch isn't a *new* E-Ticket at Disneyland. It was a severe need to replace the entire track and it took a VERY long time. It almost missed the 50th anniversary! But with Pressler gone and the new execs keeping an eye on things, they made sure it was finished as soon as it was possible. The track was the exact same layout as it always was, just stronger. The only new changes were a few lighting enhancements, a new soundtrack (which is probably a reuse of a paris space mountain track i think) and a fresh coat of paint throughout.

But seems like some are actually interested in what's been going on at Disneyland, here's a recap. And I'll exclude all the shenanigans over at DCA for now (started in 2001).

1989 - Splash Mountain debuts worldwide, improved everywhere else.

1992 - Fantasmic! debuts on Tom Sawyer's Island. A smash hit.

1993 - Mickey's Toon Town opens its gates for the first time. First land built PAST the berm. Gadget's Go Coaster and Jolly Trolly are the only rides. Mickey's House, Minnie's House, Goofy's Bounce House, Donald's Boat, and Chip n' Dale Acorn Crawl and Tree House are other "attractions".

1994 - Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, a spinning dark ride attraction opens in Toon Town (skyway closes)

1995 - Indiana Jones Adventure Temple of the Forbidden Eye, Disneyland's largest attraction since Pirates of the Caribbean opens in Adventureland to help celebrate the 40th anniversary. (people mover closes)

1997 - Light Magic, the replacement for Electrical Parade debuts and disappears just as quickly. (rocket jets close, captain eo close, circle vision close)

1998 - New Tomorrowland debuts with Astro Orbitor replacing Rocket Jets, Honey, I Shrunk the Audience replacing Captain Eo, and Rocket Rods replacing People Mover, Innoventions replacing the empty building that used to be America Sings / Carousel of Progress. (submarine voyage closes)

1999 - Tarzan's Treehouse replaces Swiss Family Treehouse (fantasyland and tomorrowland autopia closes)

2000 - Tomorrowland Autopia re-opens w/ Chevron sponsor, new cars, and longer track occupying much of the space from Fantasyland Autopia as well. (rocket rods closes for good)

2001 - Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas begins taking over The Haunted Mansion during winter season (Country Bear Jamboree closes)

2003 - Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh replaces Country Bear Jamboroo (jolly trolley in toon town discontinues operation)

2005 - Disneyland: The First 50 Years film starring Steve Martin and Donald Duck replace Mr. Lincoln on Main Street, USA. Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters opens to celebrate Disneyland's 50th.

2006 - Goofy's Playground replaces Goofy's Bouncehouse

2007 - Pirate's Lair debuts on Tom Sawyer Island. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage reopens.

And there you go. That's every major opening and closing that I can think of.

• When Will It Return?

Has anyone considered MK is a great deal larger and has the entire mega-populus of the Eastern US right on its doorstep? Attendance/perceived popularity is a very poor gauge of anything...

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast