• Curiouser and Curiouser

?s for Disney College Program Alumni

Hi...I am interested in doing the Walt Disney World College Program during Spring/Summer 2008. I was wondering if there were any Disney College Program Alumni that could answer some of my questions.
    What are the hours like?
    What roles would you suggest?
    How are the living situations?
    Any interview tips?
    Would you do the program again?
    Anything else you think I should know?

Thanks your comments are all appreciated

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: ?s for Disney College Program Alumni

The hours are crazy, you don't get to pick your role exactly, the living isn't all that great, can't give you any interview tips, and everyone I know would do the program again in a heartbeat. And many end up moving to Florida permanently when doing the program because they love it here so much.

I highly advise doing it. But what year are you? Are you in college yet? Might wanna check out UCF if you haven't...
    -Bill

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

What are the hours like? All over the place, but at least 30 hrs a week

What roles would you suggest? I liked Custodial, Operations seemed fun too

How are the living situations? better than your average dorm, a little worse than your average apartment I would say

Any interview tips? be friendly, share your Disney love and knowledge

Would you do the program again? in a heartbeat

Anything else you think I should know? probably, but I can't think of anything right now...

There's also a great CP thread here

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Yes. An excellent CP thread is somewhere. We also have a resident CP expert, BigPigletFan, though I believe she's gone missing for a little bit... but feel free to contact her. I'm sure she'd love to chat! (You can always talk with me as well, I work with CPs everyday!)
    -Bill

• Defying gravity

• Curiouser and Curiouser

Thanks for all of your help...I know I can always count on MiceChat

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    the living isn't all that great, can't give you any interview tips,
    She asked for advices from alumni. So yes, there isn't much you can say about the living component.

Even though I wasn't best friends with my roommates, we did get a ong for the most part and it did make it enjoyable. I had three roommates and we were in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath Wellness apartment in Chatham Square. My only real conflict was that I was on the program for different reasons than my roommates. (Which you'll learn that the program offers different things for different students.) That was a main source of conflict, especially at the beginning and it mainly centered around the Wellness apartment issues.
    If you're unaware the Wellness apartments are for studetns under 21 years of age (and those who decide to be in one.) Now the reason for this is because, if you have alcohol when you are under 21, take note here, it is against the law...
    I enjoyed my time spent at Chatham Square and really didn't have any reason to complain or can say anything bad about the housing complex.

The hours really vary depending upon your role and your work location. For example, say you are in merchandise. If you're work a location inside of Animal Kingdom, Blizzard Beach, or Typhoon Lagoon your hours will more closely follow the park's hours where you'll get more of a 9-5(ish) gig. If you are doing merchandise at Downtown Disney, you will be working mainly nights leaving you with your days to have fun. See the trend? The same goes for the other roles as well. They will follow the hours of the location you are in.

As for which roles I suggest? This is what I say to everyone. There are at least 19 roles on the check-list and if it doesn't sound like something you would want to do, then DON'T check it. They can only place you in a role that you pick, so keep that in mind as you read them over and apply. However, if you don't pick enough your options might be limited as well. I have heard from different participants who picked a role in Quick Service Foods because of the $0.50 extra an hour they get. While the extra money might be nice, money should not be the only thing you are looking at in this internship.
    There are five roles that a majority of the CPs end up filling. There is nothing wrong with these roles, but it's just that when guests visit Walt Disney World they very often: ride rides, shop, eat, swim (hotels or water parks,) and sometimes they make a mess. And so the five most popular roles are: Operations, Merchandise, Quick Service Food & Beverage, Lifeguard, and Custodial. It is always suggested that to check at least one of those.
    I don't know of your past work history but sometimes as they interview you they will see which roles you checked and link those up to what you have done in the past. (But everyone does the program for different reasons.) For example, if you've worked in merchandise back home - you could say that you realize working merchandise at Walt Disney World would be very different than your previous experience - but you would really like to try something different - (insert role or roles here.) Depending upon your interviewer, they might ask you what your favorite park is, etc. It wouldn't hurt to say one you would like to work at. Another key thing is not to call yourself a Disney freak. While Disney does infact want people who know and love the company to participate in the program and work for them, they want you to be a strong individual first. (I hope that makes sense.) Other popular questions have come up in the other College Program thread, but these are a few I can think of right now:
    • Why do you want to do the Disney College Program?
    • Say you are working at (instert attraction with height restriction here) and a young boy and his father approach you wanting to ride. You measure him and he doesn't meet the height requirement. What do you do or say?
    • What would being in Florida mean to you?
    • What do you hope to get out of this experience?
    Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions! I know there are a few of us more than willing to help! Good luck!

• Fightin' Texas Aggie

I'm on the program right now doing Quick Service food. It's my second program so I can probably answer any questions you might have. Just PM me and I'll answer anything you want to know.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    She asked for advices from alumni. So yes, there isn't much you can say about the living component.
    Uh huh. I've been to CP housing, I know how you live. But I'm not alumni. And I did call you a resident expert! So, umm, there! I made up for it! lol
    -Bill

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

I was there when housing only consisted of Vista Way. I was in a 2 bed 2 bath apartment. I still talk to one of my roommates and another friend I hung out with after over 10 years +. I was in custodial but at that time roles were dictated by your major. I was a physical therapy major so I got to choose between custodial and fast food. I know there is a much larger choice now. I went during the summer between my junior and senior years. In Feb of my senior year I flew back to FL for a weekend and an entertainment audition and I ended up back there for 6 more years.

CP was one of the most wonderful experiences I ever had. I know a lot has changed, like we didn't have to do projects for college credit, just a 10 part "lecture". you will hopefully meet people that you will stay in contact with afterward.

To put it simply, I'd be surprised if you can enjoy hanging out on this site and not end up LOVING the college program. DO IT!

• Characters are my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Tedi Bara View Post
    Hi...I am interested in doing the Walt Disney World College Program during Spring/Summer 2008. I was wondering if there were any Disney College Program Alumni that could answer some of my questions.
    What are the hours like?
    What roles would you suggest?
    How are the living situations?
    Any interview tips?
    Would you do the program again?
    Anything else you think I should know?

Thanks your comments are all appreciated
    1) Hours- hours depend on the role. For example, my first CP I worked about 35 hours per week. My 2nd CP I worked about 50 hours per week. And now I am working 40-42 hours per week.

2) Roles- the roles really depend on you. But so far my favorite role has been character attendant. I enjoyed working at all the parks.

3) living situation- There are currently 2 complexes: Vista and Chatham (with a third to open up Summer 2008). I have been at Chatham all 3 CPs. The first 2 were in 2BR/2 bath apartments, and now I am in a 3BR/3 bath apartment. There is a choice of 1-4 BR apartments.

4) Interview tips- just be yourself, be honest, and make sure to smile during the interview.

5) I am! I plan on doing either a 4th CP or a PI when I graduate from school.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

What are the hours like?
    it depends on you role. For some examples, i worked food and beverage and worked anywhere between 11-15 hours a day. I also had some roomates who where lifeguards but they worked mornings into afternoons. and then i had a roomate who worked in the hotels and he worked all night into early morning.

What roles would you suggest? any that you are interested in. Do not tell them your interested in a role just to get in, its better to get in and have a role you wanted instead of getting a role you didn't because most of the time, if you say you want a role that you did not want, you will be miserable. if you like foods, i would suggest full service food and bevereage, i would not suggest fast food because everyone i knew that worked fastfood hated it. I had friends who worked in hotels and attractions and they loved it as well. if your interested in certain roles, they will ask you which ones and just tell them which ones you are interested in.

How are the living situations?It depends on where you are placed, you can be placed either in Vista way which is the oldest of the two, and chatman the newest of the two, although they are building new apartments but i don't think they will be finished by the time you get there. But depending on when you arrive, there are different arrival dates, the sooner you arrive the more choices you have. You can be put into an apartment with anywhere between two roomates to nine roomates. the more roomates the less you have to pay for rent. I had six including myself and we seemed to all get along. i think nine would just be to much. there are two people per room, there are also washers and dryers for the CPers, there is also pools,spas, workout rooms, mail room, and the computer lab.

Any interview tips? just be yourself and if you have any questions do not be afraid to ask, they are there to help you understand the progam.

Would you do the program again? i might, i had such a great time, i made new friends from literally all over the world and it was great going to the themeparks on your days off. But at the moment i wouldn't. i just earned an AA in liberal arts and sciences and i am currently trying to get a job as a teachers aide, and i work over at disneyland at the moment right now as well.

Anything else you think I should know? Its not all fun and games. if you go expecting it to be a vacation, because believe me there are those that think its a piece of cake, you will not last. but if you go knowing full well you can work literally all day opening to close, and you will get a couple days off a week and you dont mind making those magical memories for the guests, you will have a blast!

My brother made friends for life while a CP. He was a Skyway CM in 1999 (he was a college freshman...first time away from home), and still keeps in touch with at least 8 or 9 people he met there. Two of his friends from the CP are now married and have a baby! Another friend started off as an entertainment CM, came back for another go-round and worked in custodial, then came back after graduation, and now works full-time traveling around the country "with" Mickey.

I seriously regret not doing the college program, but my brother and I are twins, and I didn't want us to look like nerds for doing it together (yet I'm the one moving to Orlando next year...go figure).

My brother lived in Vista Way with three other guys, and made do without a car (I shudder at the thought). Just so you know, it can definitely be done (don't know if you have a car).

Best of luck and hopefully we'll be able to see you in the parks (or wherever you may end up) as a CP!
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure