Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Disney needs to built more Disney quality attractions.

I know some people will say go to Tokyo, but that is easier said than done.
    Disney broke revolutionary ground with rides such as the Matterhorn, The Haunted Mansion, and Pirates of the Carribean. These are Disney quality attractions. They took you out of this world and into another. The only rides built for the first time since 1990 in the American parks that did this as good as the classics were Indiana Jones Adventure at DLR and Tower of Terror. They are fully immersive experiences, like Walt wanted. I have yet to ride Everest, but I will in August, and it will be next year till I get to ride Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, so I can't judge those two yet. Why can't Disney built more rides that are elaborately detailed, completely immersive, and follow Walt's idea of taking people on incredible adventures?

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Re: Disney needs to built more Disney quality attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    Disney broke revolutionary ground with rides such as the Matterhorn, The Haunted Mansion, and Pirates of the Carribean. These are Disney quality attractions. They took you out of this world and into another. The only rides built for the first time since 1990 in the American parks that did this as good as the classics were Indiana Jones Adventure at DLR and Tower of Terror. They are fully immersive experiences, like Walt wanted. I have yet to ride Everest, but I will in August, and it will be next year till I get to ride Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, so I can't judge those two yet. Why can't Disney built more rides that are elaborately detailed, completely immersive, and follow Walt's idea of taking people on incredible adventures?
    Agreed, but I would argue that Soarin' does this as well. And there is no doubt in my mind that Motors Action is the greatest stunt show ever performed. Disney do still produce quality. Just not quite as much as they used to.

BTW - welcome to Micechat
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

Blog Entries

Soarin is like my student in my class who consistently gets B's but who is capable of so much more. The ride experience of Soarin is fairly good, but its like it doesn't really try. The queue doesn't pull me into the world very much and the whole "story" behind Soarin doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Its a very fun ride, but there's so much more it could do.

• Pilot EdForceOne

nemo in the seas is great - its just not intended to be some massive scale thing
    mission space is very immersive - its just not everyone's style
    soarin is great sans the queue/preshow
    test track is a B grade
    Everest is the full package - top notch
    Many of the shows are excellent (Nemo, Little Mermaid, etc)
    Rocking Roller Coaster is excellent - again just suffers that its a coaster, so not universal appeal. The preshow is kind of weak, but the alley makes up for it.
    Dinosaur is actually very good, except for the ride script itself.. its an attraction that could be moved from C to A grade with effort. The atmosphere, the the loading, etc.. are all great. It suffers from the Indy-comparison.

and it goes on..

• back to WDW in January

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    Soarin is like my student in my class who consistently gets B's but who is capable of so much more.
    Soarin is a great ride, no question about it but to take the exact same attraction from a sister Park and pop it into an eyesore of a building in Epcot and then change the theme of the entire Land to match a single ride (cross promotion anyone?) seems extreme while at the same time lacks the imagination and originality that Disney had always been famous for. Now then, Expedition Everest - that's Disney !!

• MiceChat Partner Site

It really is becoming a problem. I'm not positive on this, but I think Disney feels because everyone knows the name and automatically associates it with quality, they don't have to put as much effort in. However, it will only be a matter of time before Disney realizes they need to resort to originial, immensive ideas.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
    (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
    Four years of magic and still going strong.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    Soarin is like my student in my class who consistently gets B's but who is capable of so much more. The ride experience of Soarin is fairly good, but its like it doesn't really try. The queue doesn't pull me into the world very much and the whole "story" behind Soarin doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Its a very fun ride, but there's so much more it could do.

You couldn't be more right about that. My main problem isn't even the queue (which is also blah)! It's the theming around the ride itself. This is the first time boarding a motion simulator while not pretending to be somewhere else. It's just "Oh look, there's the screen!" No fog to hide, no "curtain", or wall... it's just right there. And when you look down, you can see the ride operator, etc. It's NOT an immersive experience as it could or should be.

I understand that DCA had severe budget restraints, but did Epcot have to duplicate it exactly? It would have been great if they went all out and corrected it.

In the end, it's all about money.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

My god! Don't you all remember some of the lame rides from Walt's time? Such selective memories. The rides now are every bit as good as they were in Walt's time, better in some cases. The imagineering is better than ever, but not every ride can be full-blown with all the bells and whistles -- it would be too much. There has to be rides like IASM and Winnie the Pooh to balance out the EE and TOT. They're doing a fine job and I, for one, can't wait to see what's next.

• I'm Engaged!!!!!

I have to severely disagree with the OP.
    Everest is one of the best rides on property. It has some of the most elaborate theming in WDW and is revolutionary in the fact that it has the most complexx AA ever.
    Also, what about Killamanjaro Safaris???? That is the most revolutionary ride in recent theme park history.
    Mission Space has very elaborate theming and is part of the next generation of thrill rides.
    The Seas with Nemo is a wonderful little dark ride bursting with new technology.
    Test Track has some of the most complicated ride vehicles and is also very highly immersive and well themed.
    People try to compare everything to HM and POTC when the thing that sets those rides apart is that they have stood the test of time and still continue to be wildly entertaining. None of the new rides have had the opportunity to stand the test of time. So, if the argument is against the new rides for not being highly immersive, then I must highly disagree. And if the arguement is against the new rides for not being "classics" then that makes even less sense.
    wishesjake and SleepingBeauty867

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Disney broke revolutionary ground with rides such as the Matterhorn... These are Disney quality attractions. They took you out of this world and into another.
    How on earth was the Matterhorn immersive when it opened? That idea just doesn't make any sense.
    -Bill

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    How on earth was the Matterhorn immersive when it opened? That idea just doesn't make any sense.
    Well compared to just a wooden free-standing coaster... it certainly was a lot more too it. In and out of a mountain.. splashing down into water.. the later ab. snowman addition.. etc

• Fightin' Texas Aggie

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Dinosaur is actually very good, except for the ride script itself.. its an attraction that could be moved from C to A grade with effort. The atmosphere, the the loading, etc.. are all great. It suffers from the Indy-comparison.
    Dinosaur always seems really cheap to me. I dunno if it's the awful preshow setup(washed out projectors, dark bland rooms, cheap props/banners in the loading queue) that ruins the mood, but I don't like it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by TheJames View Post
    Dinosaur always seems really cheap to me. I dunno if it's the awful preshow setup(washed out projectors, dark bland rooms, cheap props/banners in the loading queue) that ruins the mood, but I don't like it.

I di dn't really enjoy Dinosaur. I thought it was too dark and I couldn't tell where I was going half the time.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2
    Disney needs to built more Disney quality attractions.
    NO S***!!!!

I know some people will say go to Tokyo
    If people advise you to go to Tokyo, then they are wrong. everyone knows the best versions of classic rides of any Disneyland Park are found in Paris. You only go to Tokyo to see DisneySea, and Hunny Hunt/Splash Mt, and the parades and shows at TDL.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Actually Bill... back in the days, the Matterhorn *was* concidered by most as an immersive ride. Never before had anyone attempted to bring theming to a coaster-like experience... as far as I know. Now a days, it doesn't seem as much anymore, but the popularity of the ride should be testament of it's quality So much so in fact that the Matterhorn to me, pulls it's theme much better than on current spinning coasters we get shoved down our throats in modern times at some Disney Parks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast