Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Fastpass Hater

Re: American Adventure Closure for New Film

I always thought a nice restaurant could go in where the American Gardens Theatre is, and of course then they could charge a premium for Illuminations dinner views!

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    We also have grits and cajun... where are those delicacies??

Grits !

How could I forget grits

Cheese grits, plain grits, grit cakes. Thanks TDLFAN, there is another regional American food that is most assuredly American, but seems to be left out in favor of 'burgers once again.

And yes, most regions that grow corn have some sort of grit like food, but they are all different.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• "There's always my way"

I think the American Pavilion serves its purpose because come on, what else do you want? I mean all you need to do is walk out of WDW to experience the real thing. I do agree that it does need an anchor restaurant. With all the good chefs out there, they couldn't come up with a restaurant for it. But I can see why they added the "burger joint." You can't get more American than having a burger joint that sells hot dogs, burgers, and all those american favorite foods. I look forward to the new video. Is it Martin Short narrating this video or the canada video?

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    We also have grits and cajun... where are those delicacies??
    Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Grits !

How could I forget grits

Cheese grits, plain grits, grit cakes. Thanks TDLFAN, there is another regional American food that is most assuredly American, but seems to be left out in favor of 'burgers once again.

And yes, most regions that grow corn have some sort of grit like food, but they are all different.

-dave
    Grits have way too much of an Italian background to be called American. After all, Grits = Polenta.

Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    Grits have way too much of an Italian background to be called American. After all, Grits = Polenta.

I would not go that far. Almost ever region of the world eats some sort of boiled grain mush. They are all the same, yet they are all different. And if we include hominy grits, very different.

Heck, why have any sort of flour and water boiled dough, right. Italians have a lock on pasta, its all the same. Forget spetzle, chow fun, perogies, bot bai, or couscous. I mean its all pasta right, just serve some ziti, the diners will get the general idea.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Art isn't easy.

I would not go that far. Almost ever region of the world eats some sort of boiled grain mush. They are all the same, yet they are all different. And if we include hominy grits, very different.
    All God's chillun loves hominy grits!
    - Bill

• When Will It Return?

If not having grits is the American Adventure pavilion's biggest problem, then it's in pretty darn good shape.

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    If not having grits is the American Adventure pavilion's biggest problem, then it's in pretty darn good shape.

-- PMM

Well, it's not the lack of grits per se. It's the image that fast food hamburgers and fries are bastion of American cusine. Do I think it ruins the pavilion? Not at all, but it is something that I believe could be changed.

-dave

• missing the DisneyGallery

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    How exactly is it political? If anything, that was the cleanest portayal of American history I'd seen in a very long time.
    I agree. Plus its surprising how many people don't know their history.

When attractions were original

• missing the DisneyGallery

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    The American Adventure is the finest show ever created for a theme park IMHO ... and non-political in any way (much like the HoP before they ruined it by having the last two idiot prez's speak).

It is simply amazing and absolutely some of the best work ever created by WED/WDI.

The film at the end definitely needs updating, though ... you can't ignore 9/11, the current war and other things that I just can't think of at 2 a.m.!
    I'm not sure that 9/11 would go with the theme of "America spread your golden wings....sail of freedoms wind...across the sky..." Maybt he response, but the film really pays tribute to individual who embody the American spirit rather than events.

When attractions were original

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by Yensid TlaW View Post
    I always thought a nice restaurant could go in where the American Gardens Theatre is, and of course then they could charge a premium for Illuminations dinner views!
    A good idea but where would they then hold their Christmas events?
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by SciFi96 View Post
    I'm not sure that 9/11 would go with the theme of "America spread your golden wings....sail of freedoms wind...across the sky..." Maybt he response, but the film really pays tribute to individual who embody the American spirit rather than events.
    As a non American who just loves the place I have to say I think you should all be proud of the American Pavilion - from the fife and drum soldiers to the wonderful accappella singing in the waiting area. Then that wonderful ride up the escalators past all the flags. And then that massive auditorium - it takes your breath away.
    I've been backstage at the Adventure (on a tour) and met the audioanimatronics of Franklin and Twain (did you realise the scenes are docked underneath the audience seating during a performance?) The whole show is a wonderful distallation of American history and acknowledges the good and bad. I think 9/11 needs to be recognised - it was a major catastrophic event for your nation (like the London bombings were for us) but that eventually you "recovered" and the spirit of people began to shine through. OK I don't want to get schmaltzy. But I think it needs to be acknowledged in some way. The film does acknowledge events too - the AIDS sequence was added back in the late 90s. for instance.
    I look forward to seeing the new film when I visit in October.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Yes?

And why not. Like him (or her) or not, he or she IS the President of the United States, and as such IS the most current head of the US.

-dave
    I have to agree here...just because you don't like one or any of the presidents in our history they still deserve some amount of respect for one of the hardest jobs in the world. That is why it is called a democracy, just because you didn't or did vote for someone, the majority overruled whatever your decision may or may not have been.

But America has so much more than 'burgers and fries.

Somehow other countries that have regional cuisnes seem to also have a national menu - Italy has regional dishes, so does france, and china, and japan.

America has so many regional foods that are unique and special, from New England, to the Southern States, to Cajun, to Tex-Mex, to the Northwest. When you have gumbo, lobster rolls, chili, and a billion variations of BBQ to choose from and the best you can come up with is 'burgers. Well then somebody missed something somewhere.

-dave
    Ok...my figaro fries friend...even though the U.S. has some great regional cooking, since America is basically a big melting pot of other cultures, wouldn't all american food have its roots in another country? Don't you ever watch Good Eats?
    Last edited by EvilQueenRocks; 06-19-2007 at 11:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

Quote Originally Posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    Ok...my figaro fries friend...even though the U.S. has some great regional cooking, since America is basically a big melting pot of other cultures, wouldn't all american food have its roots in another country? Don't you ever watch Good Eats?

Do I ever watch Good Eats? Do I EVER watch Good Eats? I was Alton Brown before Alton Brown knew he would become Alton Brown (well maybe not that much)

Seriously, I have been interested in food, not just from a cooking persepctive, but from a chemistry and "nutritional antrhopologist" standpoint for for a long long time. Thats not to say there are some things I DO NOT agree with Mr. Brown on (I found his beermaking show rather thin and bland - heh!) but for the most part he is very very factual.

Well, corn, cranberries, blueberries, tomatoes, peppers, pecans, black walnuts, sunflowers, moose, turkey, bison, and deer are all Native American species (I think, I may be off on some of them)

So much food that is "regional" is not from that region to begin with.

Now, Figaro Fries, thats a different story. They come from somewhere wonderful.

-dave

• Art isn't easy.

Thumbs down Re: American Adventure Closure for New Film

Quote Originally Posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    I have to agree here...just because you don't like one or any of the presidents in our history they still deserve some amount of respect for one of the hardest jobs in the world. That is why we have a democracy, just because you didn't or did vote for someone, the majority overruled whatever your decision may or may not have been.
    "Majority" is sooo overrated. But then, so is Hannah Montana.
    - Bill

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast