Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone remember the "old" Imageworks that was upstairs in Journey Into Imag.?

I'm sure most of you "old times" like me remember the old imageworks that was upstairs in the Journey Into Imagination pavillion at Epcot Center. I would love to hear your thoughts/memories about it, and if anyone has any old pics. or pics. of it now empty I would love to see them. Also why did they close it and relocate it downstairs?

• insufferable know-it-all

Yeah, I remember it, it was SO cool! They had the computer coloring - remember Figment saying "Let's color...Dreeeeeamfinder" ? And they had a huge table of those 3-d image pins that were so popular in the late 80s/early 90s (you know, where you'd press your hand or face into the pins and they'd make an image on the other side?). And when I was a kid that sound hopscotch stuff was the coolest (where you'd step on lit spots on the floor and hear a sound... I think they have that in Innoventions now but it's not as cool).

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

I loved it too. It's still up there--completely untouched and gathering dust.

• Banned User

I remember Imageworks quite well... It was a fun area for the kids. However, I am not sure that it is still sitting up there gathering dust. I thought I saw the rainbow tunnel relocated to another area of Innoventions not long ago... or maybe I dreamt the whole thing?? Either way... I don't miss it since I realy never cared much for what was there to do. Now a days, you can have as much fun with an automatic door as we all did playing instruments just moving our hand thru infrared beams.

WDWMagic used to have pics of it as in present day, but since it was taken by a CM (which is a violation as it IS an unauthorized area), the photos were taken down...I think a few members from there can e-mail it to you, and there is a JII video out there that briefly shows them...

It's there. What do I have to do to gain some credibility on this site?

^^^I have heard the same thing from many CMs who would know. ... As for credibility, whichever Epcot exec decided to close the second level has none with me.

• Banned User

Ah, I have the photos actually... unfortunately I can't release them. But I am allowed to describe to you what it looks like.

Everything is still up there, but it is not untouched. Many light bulbs, TVs, and other sensors have been removed and used in other areas of the park. There are ladders and paint buckets, things moved to the side, etc. The rainbow tunnel is still there and is still in working order. Trash is spread around the ground. If they wanted to, it could be up and running in good condition in about a month with a modest budget for a few new computers, TVs, and light bulbs. However, there are some stains on the carpet now as well, so they would probably need to replace the carpet as well. I can't tell if all the pins are still in place on the pin tables, but I imagine they would be easy to replace. Conducting the orchestra seems to be untouched, but might need a new paint job. The paint guns look un-usable and would need to be replaced. And the show stage is still there, just sitting there.

That is what I see. If you have a question, just ask. I have the pictures, but I can NOT release them.

Unfortunately, the rumor is due insurance costs, the upper level will remain closed, as Disney doesn't want to pay for it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Unfortunately, the rumor is due insurance costs, the upper level will remain closed, as Disney doesn't want to pay for it.
    and the fact a certain elevator that saved the money back then is unreliable as it is not a conventional one... and would break down and the only way up or down is elevator and escalator and stairs... handicap people had to be carried down if the elevator broke.. thus the insurance reasons...

I wonder why they havn't thought of "renting" the area out to parties...

• Banned User

Amazing they would not turn the upper level into an Imagination Cafe or something useful a la Current-management way of thinking... God knows Future World could use some newer food concepts.

• IZTUAZU!!!

Kind of sad that the spiral staircase to go up there is still visible on the way to the exit of 'Imagination'.

My favorite classic Imageworks was the Orchestra where you put your hand over a color or symbol (I forget which) and the instrument plays. I think the position of your hand controlled the pitch also.
    J.B. Opie

"Doubt is the rust of a feeble mind. The only way to seize the future is to grasp the present. Let's Go!"

-Chairman Clench, Alien Encounter

I went on the Undiscovered Future World tour and we went up to the 2nd floor of Imagination, it was mostly wide open in the main room at the top of the stairs and there was one pin table near the wall, through the open door many of the old props seemed to be in there, but we were not allowed to enter. Our tour guide claimed that they finally realized that people (no offense) were lazy and the attendance of the second floor was lagging. That was his excuse, but I buy the insurance excuse over that one.....you know a reliable elevator could be installed with the addition of a Imagination themed restaurant using many of the old props from the original ride. Some of the old props can be seen in the que. I bet many of them were destroyed though.

• insufferable know-it-all

You know, if they'd just set aside a little coffee bar on the upper floor for parents to take a break and let the kiddos run around playing....

sad.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    And when I was a kid that sound hopscotch stuff was the coolest (where you'd step on lit spots on the floor and hear a sound... I think they have that in Innoventions now but it's not as cool).
    Still in Imagination, actually. When you exit the ride, first thing you pass on your right are tyhge things where you use body movements to control Figment making music, then next up on your right are what you describe above. We had a BLAST last September when my husband and I discovered this! hehe
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

Ultimately, there is only one reason why the Imageworks was moved downstairs -- money.

Disney was able to cut 1/3rd the length off the Imgaination ride (something they probably would like to do with all their attractions) AND close off and not maintain the whole second level. That's a win-win situation ... just ask Brad Rex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast