What's it like to work for the Mouse?

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, but I wanted to know how all you CMs, former and current, feel about working at Disney (WDW/DL). Were you disillusioned? Was there a lack of Disney spirit? Where the managers all in it for the wrong reason?

I've often thought about working for the Mouse, but I would hate to end up hating the place that I love so much. So what so you? Did/do you like your job? Would you recommend others to work at Disney? What to look out for, what to expect, things like this.

Thanks.

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

Re: What's it like to work for the Mouse?

I worked in WDW for several years and loved every minute of it. I think it is like working for any other job, some co-workers are going to be wonderful and some are going to be bitter. I recommend that if someone wants to work at a park, go for it. If you think you're going to be brainwashed, disillusioned or that it won't live up to your expectations it might not be for you. I loved Disney for years before I worked there and I will love Disney until the day I die.

My 4 year anniverary is right around the corner and I still love working for Disney. The only downside is the pay, but then again I love my job. In my opinion and experience, it is far better to love the job you are doing, even when the pay is low, than to hate the job your doing and make more money. Face it, you have to spend at lest 40 hours a week working, so you might as well like it.

I have worked with many companies in the past, and what gets me is that everyone complains no matter what company you work for, The pay is never enough, the benefits are never enough, they charge too much for insurance etc......

I used to work for a major financial services company and I pay less now or medical insurance than I did 5 years ago for better coverage. Most people at work complain that the medical insurance at Disney is too expensive. Well for me, I'm paying less for more than I did 4 years ago. To me that is good.

If you think you are going to get rich working at Disney, look elsewhere. Although 4 years is around the corner, I'm still not at $10 an hour. Pay rates at Disney are extremely low and I beleive that is a major issue when it comes to employee retention. The onsite managers know it, but it's the corporate people (the ones that make the exorbitant pay) that don't seem to get it. When I see a sign in the window stating "Now Hiring, start at $10/hr" makes one think hmmmm McDonald's $10/hr, Disney $6.75/hr. Many will opt to flip the burgers.

Why do I stay? I love the job I do. I have fun everyday at work. Yes, I wish I made a few dollars an hour more, but when I look at the TOTAL benefits package available to me, I don't think I'm doing too bad. Sure that McDonald's may $10/hr, but they don't have the benefits package that Disney does. Unfortunately everyone doesn't look at it the same way. My Dream was to work at Disney, in any capacity that I could, almost 4 years ago, that dream became a reality, so Yes, Disney World is the place "Where Dreams Come True"

• Newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by SorcererMickey View Post
    I worked in WDW for several years and loved every minute of it.
    This is the best kind of cast member. Hopefully everyone out there loves their job....finding something you like to do is one of the secrets of a good life.
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by EpTxGuy View Post
    ....finding something you like to do is one of the secrets of a good life.
    that and high-def television
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

I think it all depends on what the job is. CM's on the front lines don't always love their jobs... but people in my department do. we get alot of perks and get to do alot of fun stuff outside of work. Sometimes you just gotta look past all the bad stuff and realize that it is a pretty cool place.

Which dept is that, SumOpOng?

Disney Design Group

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, but I wanted to know how all you CMs, former and current, feel about working at Disney (WDW/DL). Were you disillusioned? Was there a lack of Disney spirit? Where the managers all in it for the wrong reason?

I've often thought about working for the Mouse, but I would hate to end up hating the place that I love so much. So what so you? Did/do you like your job? Would you recommend others to work at Disney? What to look out for, what to expect, things like this.

Thanks.
    As a former WDW CM (1981-85) back then it was an honor to work there. These were the golden years at WDW, and everything they did, they did it with class and style. However, working for the Mouse was never easy. The pay was lousy then and continues to be lousy now. Back then, Cm's were more in line with the traditional aspects of being a CM because there was a strong and valid sense of traditions. The CMs now a days have it way too easy.... wearing mustaches, wearing improper shoes on stage, projecting a lazy attitude with their body language, Castzooming...and looking very bad in poorly worn costumes. Add to that the unhealthy body shapes I see among the roster.

However, one of the reasons I left Disney back then, besides pursuing my current career... is the rampant racism that existed among the rank. Many minority CMs were forced to be in kitchens, housekeeping and often than most... backstage positions. As a minority myself... I was a trainer to many new CMs in my division, then months later, same CMs would become my leads when such openings would open for promotions. That was the hardest part. Once I interviewed for a Guest Relations position as not a minute into the interview, the white female (all white bread american) supervisor told me outfront she didn't think my accented english would go well with guests during guided tours so she would have to pass... It didn't matter if you had a great attendance record or many guests' compliment letters in file.. Disney management was always shrewd and pushed the botton to make sure things were "by the book of traditions". If you were white, you were in management and lead positions. If you were black or hispanic, you were not.

Now? I would probably be CEO there (LOL!) since the huge majority of WDW CMs are now hispanics and foreigners. The very small minority are the college kids, who seem to be the only white americans working on the property. If I was a CM now, I know I would have easily been in Guests Relations and other more prominent positions... Still, I have a hard time running into a hispanic manager there.. but there are few.

Finally, the problem I see now is that managers just DO NOT CARE to follow what was once Disney's difference: their traditional ways of maintaining professionalism on stage. Even with all of the hardships I suffered back in my days as a CM, I was still very proud of being part of the WDW cast and being a member of the Disney Family. Now a days? I don't think I would be, and concidering my love and dedication to the brand, that is a very sad thing for me to say. I just don't like what I see on stage and the treatment I have recieved from very few CMs who make the entire roster look bad. Seems to me many people are there for the benefits and the free park admission and NOT for the love of the brand. That is why eventually, I honestly believe WDW will fall from grace, and fall HARD.

So.. my advise to you is this... if you really really really really love Disney, then go for it and try your very best to deliver real dreams and magical experiences to your guests, if you can... and especially on those hard days when you have to be at work and everyone else is on vacation or celebrating holidays. If you think you can do that and maintain a professional level and great spirits in the face of adversity... then by all means.. Give it a try.

Good luck.

The worst thing that could happen is you ending up hating Disney more than anything else... but the World will continue to spin in outer space. No biggie.