Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Post MK Update for Sat, June 16, 2007

Well, I just randomly decided to post a little update about what is going on around MK. Some of this stuff has been mentioned before, and some hasn't. So let's get started!

Frontierland DVC & Arcade
    They re-built the DVC booth at the entrance to Frontierland, and they also added a new wheelchair ramp to the Frontierland Shooting Arcade.

Ugly Pavement & Drains... that are new!
    Pavement replacement continues throughout the park, though I question the new pavement on Main Street U.S.A. The new stuff has rocks in it, and it makes it almost impossible to clean or remove gum from. So the new pavement on Main Street already looks pretty bad. They probably need to sand it down or something, though then that presents another problem with the pavement being slippery when wet. But they should have figured that one out in the first place! Those drains that they put in need some major cleaning, gum and just about anything you can imagine is stuck in there. (I'm talking about the drains where the curbs were removed from Main Street.)

VMK Going to a Better Place
    Virtual Magic Kingdom is going to be moving into the Tomorrowland Arcade. No word yet on what will become of the old Main Street Cinema. Perhaps it could become a Cinema again? Eh, I'm wishing for too much. Ha!

Water, Water everywhere! From the fireworks?!
    Fantasyland still has not come up with a solution to the drainage during Wishes. For those of you not familiar with the situation, before Wishes, as well as during the show, all the buildings are watered down with sprinklers to avoid any fires starting up. Unfortunately, the water from those buildings empties directly into the pathways around Fantasyland. It causes massive puddles after every Wishes show, every night. And the current solution is for about 8 Custodial CMs to clean up the water with "water pushers." What a waste of money and resources! Someone needs to come up with a better long-term plan, tons of money is being wasted on these custodial CMs. Perhaps a new drainage system is in order?

Trees go bye-bye?
    New planters have been installed in Fantasyland, replacing the larger versions, as well as the larger trees that were once present in Fantasyland. It's great for the extra space I'm sure, but honestly, there's hardly any shade left in the MK! Someone got carried away with tree removal. Trees were removed because people couldn't see Wishes. Well, I find that reason pathetic, as if you go to Disneyland, trees are everywhere, and the park is not such a bad place to be in the daytime because there is a lot of shade from the trees. The Magic Kingdom is a sauna. The fact that you can't see Wishes from every place in the park is irrelevant. You never could see the fireworks from everywhere in the park. The hot sun all day versus fifteen minutes for fireworks viewing? The correct answer should be obvious, evidently it isn't. Let's spell it out... BRING BACK THE TREES!!!!

Mansion Closed to be Made Better!
    The Haunted Mansion is closed for a major refurbishment. When it re-opens you can expect:
    • New Doombuggies
    • New 3-D Sound
    • New Lighting
    • New Show Scenes
    • Copies of Show Scenes from California that are new to Florida
    • Updates to Current Show Scenes to make them more like California
    • New Queue

The Mansion Re-opens (hopefully) September 13th. (No, it's not a Friday) That date comes from the fact that it has to be open for the first Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. At least, park management wants it to be. And as always, if something comes up that can't be fixed in-time, IE: wood-rot, then that re-opening date might happen later, or they might not install all of the new effects. Which would be a dreadful shame.

"it's a small world" Character Edition
    This is a rumor. It is a rumor. It is a rumor. Just wanted to get that out before you go crazy. If the Mary Blair inspired characters sell well over in Hong Kong, (when their "it's a small world" opens) you can expect them to come over here too. After all, they were originally designed for the attraction in Florida. Just letting you know. If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, for the Hong Kong version of the attraction, more than 30 popular Disney characters will inhabit the various world scenes inside the ride, representing the various counties where their stories take place. Characters mentioned by name include Mulan, Peter Pan and Aladdin. Oh, if they brought that here, just imagine all the new Small World Character Merchandise they'd sell!

Jungle Cruise and Space Mountain.. when do those get refurbished?
    I think the title on this one says it all. They get refurbished in that order. After Mansion opens, Jungle Cruise closes. When Jungle Cruise re-opens, Space Mountain closes. This is unless Small World gets thrown in to the mix again. Then you might have a delay on one of the other closures. Jungle Cruise's rehab involves replacing plants, adding some new effects from Hong Kong and Anaheim, and fixing some things that need to be fixed. And upgrading the boats. Heh heh. I can't go into anymore. Space Mountain, on the other hand, would be radically changed. We're talking a Disneyland style redo with some of the new Tokyo effects. Once again, I can't go into it. But Space Mountain's rehab would last quite some time if the full rehab happens.

Laugh Floor Gets a new Light
    Well, this is little news. The picture of Mike on the Laugh Floor sign got an LED light so you can see him at night now. Nice. I just wish Laugh Floor fit the theming a little better.

Well, that's all I have for now about the Magic Kingdom. Feel free to ask any questions or comments. And if you're someone big or high up in the company, please, hire me somewhere so I can actually help fix some of the problems I mentioned!

TTFN!
    -Bill

• Art isn't easy.

Re: MK Update for Sat, June 16, 2007

Thanks for the great update, especially the Haunted Mansion news!
    - Bill

• Former Epcot CM

Thank you.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• May the F=ma be with you

As for the JC refurb, look forward to January of 2008 for it to shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Closed Account

Bill, omg! Elaborate on our new Mansion Q?? We CANNOT STAND That Q! It is a crowd control nightmare and the worst setup. PLEASE PLEASE Say the entrance gate is staying OR moving foward and there will be LESS stanchions????......

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Virtual Magic Kingdom is going to be moving into the Tomorrowland Arcade. No word yet on what will become of the old Main Street Cinema. Perhaps it could become a Cinema again? Eh, I'm wishing for too much. Ha!
    I would be so happy if they made it an actual cinema again. I miss going in there to watch the cartoons. I know you can see cartoons in the back of the Expo Hall (in one of the old Walt Disney Story theatres) but.....

• Banned User

BILL! Now that I poured through your june WDW update... I sure hope you read *MY* june update from HKDL (now avail) and TDR (to be posted shortly before sunday) in those other sections of MC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Yes, you are. I am willing to bet Virtual Crap is moving to make way for more High School Musical garbage merchandise at the MK.

If the Mary Blair inspired characters sell well over in Hong Kong, (when their "it's a small world" opens) you can expect them to come over here too. After all, they were originally designed for the attraction in Florida.
    Personally, they dropped the ball for not going with most of what they did at DLP when IASW was closed a couple of years ago. Apart from the sound system, the remodeling of WDW's IASW was a major dud. Besides, half of the stuff in there is already wearing out and inop at times. And the new Mary Blair facade at the boarding platform already looks shoddy.

FLAMING MONKEY: you look like Dustysage's baby brother in that avatar. Cute cute.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 06-16-2007 at 10:57 AM.

• Closed Account

the remodeling of WDW's IASW was a major dud.

TDLFAN! Are you crazy? And you know i love u! But ive had more ppl say that Small was a better rehab than Pirates!! What they did to Small was amazing. Repainting and reglittering each set. New Costumes. The facade work. New Boats. And the amazing restoration of the all teh tracks to digital w/ NEW speakers unlike another boat ride.

• She was sweet as a peach

Thank you for the update, Bill!!
    I look forward to all of the new changes!!!

• Wild About Disney

I can't wait to see some of these changes for myself. Seven days until WDW! Yippy!
    SimbaLynn

Blog Entries

I've heard some rumblings that with the changes to MGM coming that One Mans Dream may possibly be relocated. Now I have no clue if these have any basis in truth behind them because I'm not sure how good these sources were, but could it be making its way back over to the cinema on Main Street like it was at one point before?

If WDW's Space Mountain is brought up to similiarity with DL's, won't it be closed for years? It was more than your standard "refurb". A lot more...

• back to WDW in January

thanks Bill, so nice to have an "inside man"

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post

I've heard some rumblings that with the changes to MGM coming that One Mans Dream may possibly be relocated. Now I have no clue if these have any basis in truth behind them because I'm not sure how good these sources were, but could it be making its way back over to the cinema on Main Street like it was at one point before?
    One Man's Dream was never in the MK. It was specifically created at MGM for the 100 Years of Magic to celebrate what would have been Walt's 100th birthday.

You're probably thinking of The Walt Disney Story attraction that was in what's now the Expo Hall in Town Square. Widen Your World has an excellent page devoted to this former attraction:

http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/wds.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    A better place?

How about Pittsburgh?

Seriously, as an old fart who has no clue what VMK is ... nor cares about it ... I don't see why any prime real estate needs to be wasted for this.

I like my magic real, not virtual anyway.

But maybe they can just close it and not replace it with anything. That's what Disney does best in Florida.

Trees go bye-bye?
    New planters have been installed in Fantasyland, replacing the larger versions, as well as the larger trees that were once present in Fantasyland. It's great for the extra space I'm sure, but honestly, there's hardly any shade left in the MK! Someone got carried away with tree removal. Trees were removed because people couldn't see Wishes. Well, I find that reason pathetic, as if you go to Disneyland, trees are everywhere, and the park is not such a bad place to be in the daytime because there is a lot of shade from the trees. The Magic Kingdom is a sauna. The fact that you can't see Wishes from every place in the park is irrelevant. You never could see the fireworks from everywhere in the park. The hot sun all day versus fifteen minutes for fireworks viewing? The correct answer should be obvious, evidently it isn't. Let's spell it out... BRING BACK THE TREES!!!!
    You know this has been a major complaint of mine for years now.

It it just keeps getting worse. Are there any shady areas left? I can think of only two: Liberty Square behind the shops and on Tom Swayer Island.

And is pathetic.

Bad show. Bad comfort for guests. Bad period.

Much like most WDW management. Bad.

"it's a small world" Character Edition
    This is a rumor. It is a rumor. It is a rumor. Just wanted to get that out before you go crazy. If the Mary Blair inspired characters sell well over in Hong Kong, (when their "it's a small world" opens) you can expect them to come over here too. After all, they were originally designed for the attraction in Florida. Just letting you know. If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, for the Hong Kong version of the attraction, more than 30 popular Disney characters will inhabit the various world scenes inside the ride, representing the various counties where their stories take place. Characters mentioned by name include Mulan, Peter Pan and Aladdin. Oh, if they brought that here, just imagine all the new Small World Character Merchandise they'd sell!
    Just go to Character Premiere, Bill.

They have pins showing a 'possible' scene involving Pumba, Timon and Simba for an African-themed Small World upgrade at the MK on sale. And this scene will be included in the HKDL makeover.

I doubt they'll add it to the MK, though.

They're just too cheap (see lack of Mansion Holiday, lack of Small World Holiday and now lack of Country Bear Holiday versions).

Why spend the money?

Jungle Cruise and Space Mountain.. when do those get refurbished?
    I think the title on this one says it all. They get refurbished in that order. After Mansion opens, Jungle Cruise closes. When Jungle Cruise re-opens, Space Mountain closes. This is unless Small World gets thrown in to the mix again. Then you might have a delay on one of the other closures. Jungle Cruise's rehab involves replacing plants, adding some new effects from Hong Kong and Anaheim, and fixing some things that need to be fixed. And upgrading the boats. Heh heh. I can't go into anymore. Space Mountain, on the other hand, would be radically changed. We're talking a Disneyland style redo with some of the new Tokyo effects. Once again, I can't go into it. But Space Mountain's rehab would last quite some time if the full rehab happens.
    Just the fact it is mid-2007 and we're still talking about IF a Space Mountain redo happens is pathetic.

As far as I can tell, it's already about 10-15 years beyond the time this should have been done.

I find SpMtn in its current form to be unrideable and only go on it now when I'm with guests who want to.

And with this week's WDI restructuring, I've got serious doubts about how things are going to play out in the future for this park.

But at least we'll have DAK!
    Last edited by WDW1974; 06-16-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast