Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Re: Rumor: EPCOT wand removal!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    The book that WDW1974 spoke of IS the published story, right out of the mouths of the creative geniuses behind most of the great artwork in Disney history. It's widely considered to be the definitive manual on the subject of Disney architecture. Perhaps you should be a bit more familiar with it before you denigrate it so easily.
    I was speaking of the story behind MGM--meaning when you enter the gates, there is clearly a story that you are entering, and any book published years ago is useless in defining the current story at MGM, since it is changing. It would be like saying the story behind Fantasyland in 1955 has anything to do with the present-day story, which it doesn't.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Vehicle rotating backward

I guess this is my biggest problem:

Look at all that industrial work laid bare. The backside of the thumb being plain bland steel with a corrugated design on the back. I think that Mickey Mouse gloves are adorable, really, but this is bad show. It would have passed in 1959, I guess, but even the Matterhorn eventaully put show facades in to cover up all the rigging and beams inside it.

More proof that the wand was designed to be temporary, IMO. Yes, it might be BUILT to last forever, but it looks like it was DESIGNED to be there six months. The original Hollywood sign was designed to last less than 2 years but stuck around for decades until the letters fell down the hill..

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania

Look at all that industrial work laid bare. The backside of the thumb being plain bland steel with a corrugated design on the back. I think that Mickey Mouse gloves are adorable, really, but this is bad show. It would have passed in 1959, I guess, but even the Matterhorn eventaully put show facades in to cover up all the rigging and beams inside it.

More proof that the wand was designed to be temporary, IMO. Yes, it might be BUILT to last forever, but it looks like it was DESIGNED to be there six months. The original Hollywood sign was designed to last less than 2 years but stuck around for decades until the letters fell down the hill..
    I do agree that it is trashy how visible the steel structure is...a problem which the Sorcerery Mickey Hat thankfully does not share w/ the wand.
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

The book that WDW1974 spoke of IS the published story, right out of the mouths of the creative geniuses behind most of the great artwork in Disney history. It's widely considered to be the definitive manual on the subject of Disney architecture. Perhaps you should be a bit more familiar with it before you denigrate it so easily.
    No. It's much better to just attack the people who created the parks and made them magical. All the while giving credence to Disney execs feelings (and I've talked to plenty so I have some idea about this) that their clientele aren't the brightest bulbs and will get excited over things like a BAH!

This isn't opinion. If you like the hat, that is. And my opinion is you're likely an uncultured rube, but that's all it is.

But there is a design plan intended to tell stories at Disney's parks and while things can be added over time, they should help tell that story, not water down/ruin it. That's what things like the hat and wand do.

Another great book, that most of you BAH lovers will never pick up, is Designing Disney by veteran Imagineer John Hench, who passed away last year in his 90s after the book came out. He has had more impact on Disney theme park design than any other human being INCLUDING Walt. He is the ONLY person to have worked/contributed/consulted on every Disney theme park in existence today, including HKDL.

But again, this is going to evolve into a like it or hate it debate, which really is pointless.

If you don't know why Disney designed things a certain way, learn. Ignorance isn't pretty.

I don't buy that at all, Mike. That's like saying that because the Constitution has no reference to pot or sex offenders, then it has no use in legal arguments. It's been a few years since I read the book, so I'll let WDW1974 pick up the thread. But in general, it simply lays out the thought processes for those who came up with the concept of entertainment architecture, which is what most Disney buildings are. Now, whether it has anything specifically to say about a wand or a hat, the concepts that were covered do indeed apply to this type of discussion. I may just have to break down and do some heavy reading over the weekend!
    No. Dan. I just posted all I really have to say on this right now.

But I am quite sure that the BAH and BAW don't have anyplace where they were located.

And they are cheap and tacky in the locations they were plucked down.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania

It was designed and budgeted to last for 10 years. I was told this by a Disney VP who would know.

That's why I loved when a publicist was quoted in 2000 in saying the wand would be left 'due to its popularity with guests.' Good chuckle out of that one.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    And my opinion is you're likely an uncultured rube, but that's all it is.
    Just because someone has a differing opinion than you is no reason to insult them. As the MC FAQ says....
    On a message board, an attack is when another member posts a message that clearly & directly is to threaten, defame, insult or make a mockery of another for whatever reason that poster felt compelled to do so (EX: "You are full of crap you liar!", "You are a complete idiot", etc). These boards are for discussions. There will always be differing opinions. You can disagree & but be civil and do not spread hate around.

Attack the message rather than the messenger. Posts, including comments, may be attacked, as long as it is NOT attacking the person directly.
    -Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Just because someone has a differing opinion than you is no reason to insult them. As the MC FAQ says....

-Michael
    C'mon. Get real. That was sarcasm so don't go getting your feathers ruffled, while deflecting the discussion away from the subject ... and it ain't me.

I have had real insults hurled my way and I don't go spouting FAQ crap. I'd appreciate it if you did the same ... unless you are purposely trying to silence me. I had that happen elsewhere and won't let it happen here.

It was designed and budgeted to last for 10 years. I was told this by a Disney VP who would know.
    Why in blazes don't they cover up the insides a little bit, then? Wind resistance? There has to be a good reason.

And WDW1975-1, I keep meaning to look at one of those Building Disney Parks books but there's so many of them I don't know where to start.

• Inappropriate

There's a reason why Disney's parks are designed a certain way. There's a great book that came out about 10 years ago called Designing The Disney The,e Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance. It's well worth a read for anyone who thinks the BAH and BAW are OK with them.

It has nothing to do with opinion, despite what you may believe, when I say these things don't belong there from a story view-point, and yes, why it makes perfect sense to have a fairy-tale castle sitting at the end of Main Street USA.

My advice would be to buy the book and get an understanding of why Disney designed things the way they did, and why plunking a giant wand on the geosphere or a giant hat in front of the Chinese Theater is just plain wrong.
    But it is opinion. I could read that book front to back 17 times and still say i like the hat. I know why Disney parks and architecture are built the way they are. However, the Studios is a park that to me has always seemed haphazardly thrown together. I love it, but once you get past Sunset and Hollywood Blvds, it's a mess. Not a bad mess, but a mess nonetheless. It is pretty obvious they tried to open the park before Universal opened theirs.
    Another big thing is that most of the people who go to disney world are there for their first and maybe only time. They don't sit there like us nerds and nit-pick every little thing they see wrong. Sure, some industrial peices show from the wand, but most if the guests aren't going to notice that. They're going to say "Wow! look at the wand! That's so cool!" I know this because i heard it walking into Epcot a number of times. And you should see all the smiling faces i see when people walk into the Studios and see the BAH at the end of the street. The suits don't do things for those few of us who really know what's going on backstage.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• ROFLCOPTER

The wand also does not go along with the Spaceship Earth "Storyline".
    The whole idea/morale of the rise is "Evryone in life is a passenger for a short time in spaceship EARTH". Earth does not have a wand. Also, whats with random parts of Mickeys body around the parks. His hat? His arm comming up from undergroud?
    Go Bengals.

WDW>DL

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Goofy
    The wand also does not go along with the Spaceship Earth "Storyline".
    The whole idea/morale of the rise is "Evryone in life is a passenger for a short time in spaceship EARTH". Earth does not have a wand. Also, whats with random parts of Mickeys body around the parks. His hat? His arm comming up from undergroud?
    let's hope they keep this pattern PG.
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    let's hope they keep this pattern PG.

• Know More Than You Should

If you want to keep track of the wand, check out this webcam:

http://www.aws.com/wxcomm/commercial...id=LKBNV&siz=s

It is mounted on top of the Swan hotel pointing at Epcot, and during the day you can see Spaceship Earth perfectly in the distance. You can even see some of the lit pavillions at night.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    I was speaking of the story behind MGM--meaning when you enter the gates, there is clearly a story that you are entering, and any book published years ago is useless in defining the current story at MGM, since it is changing. It would be like saying the story behind Fantasyland in 1955 has anything to do with the present-day story, which it doesn't.
    OK, then going with your logic, how in blazes is the BAH in any way associated with the story of Hollywood Blvd? I guess you could tie it in some way, but for me it's never worked. Again, I like the hat, just don't like the placement.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast