Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• out & about

What's New at Star Wars Weekend?

Not much! Except the logo and the merch. The merch may very well be the whole point of the weekends but Id be more inclined to buy more if I saw more. 2006 was my first time at SWW and already this year (2007) Im a little tired of the same ol thing.

Couldnt they spruce it up a little? Try something new? How about a special Star Wars themed fireworks show? How about more live action shows like the impromptu martial arts demo that Ray Park (Darth Maul) decided to to do in the ABC Theater? How about real Celebs?

I dunno. Maybe Im jaded. Maybe Im disappointed cause I had high hopes for SWW because its the 30th anniv of SW.

You got any bright ideas?
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• "There's always my way"

Re: What's New at Star Wars Weekend?

I was there this past weekend. I really had a good time there. Unfortunately, it was all new to me. I hope someone could help you answer this question better than me. Maybe here you can find your answer: Check out www.allears.net
    T

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

Sad Re: What's New at Star Wars Weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by WRDup View Post
    Not much! Except the logo and the merch. The merch may very well be the whole point of the weekends but Id be more inclined to buy more if I saw more. 2006 was my first time at SWW and already this year (2007) Im a little tired of the same ol thing.

Couldnt they spruce it up a little? Try something new? How about a special Star Wars themed fireworks show? How about more live action shows like the impromptu martial arts demo that Ray Park (Darth Maul) decided to to do in the ABC Theater? How about real Celebs?

I dunno. Maybe Im jaded. Maybe Im disappointed cause I had high hopes for SWW because its the 30th anniv of SW.

You got any bright ideas?
    wow--i could have written this--i was super dissapointed this year, i could not beleive they didn't do anything new,( I was there the opening weekend, so i missed the ray park demo) not only did they not do anything new, the did not replace wwtbam, and they took away the adult trivia. They reused all the signage from last year and the same backdrops for photos. they cut the collectibles' shop size down to a miniscule location--just wasn't up to a 30th anniversary star wars weekend--Luke and Leia weren't even in the star wars parade this year....

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraRose View Post
    wow... they cut the collectibles' shop size down to a miniscule location--just wasn't up to a 30th anniversary star wars weekend--
    THe merch was super sad. Except for the Big Figs ( but who can afford to buy them all anyway). Only one big Fig was sold each week anyway.Lame.

WplusK.com

That's really disappointing to hear. You would think with the 30th anniversary being this year, they would do more.
    - Larisa

Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show! -MMC

Quote Originally Posted by Risa View Post
    That's really disappointing to hear. You would think with the 30th anniversary being this year, they would do more.
    that was my hope, something different, something exciting, i heard the fireworks rumor on a bunch of boards, that would have been a great way to end the day. Everyone i talked to in line ups felt the same way to a first timer though, it would be exciting i suppose.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Thinking about it, I'm conflicted. The slight problem with doing something bigger or special is the fact that I think since it is the 30th Anniversary, it would be hard for Disney to do something special enough in relation to that fact and in relation to the rest of the Star Wars stuff going on this year. Furthermore, it's important to consider that by the nature of Star Wars Weekends, Disney can't put all of its eggs in one basket. Methinks it would be hard to sign a lot of the big names and make it something really special for one weekend or even a day, let alone for the course of the entire event. I think that might be part of the problematic mentality that caused a relatively underwhelming SWW for the 30th: the fact that it is an entire month+ of weekends to plan instead of just one absolutely all-out thing.

As for the fireworks, I think that Fantasmic probably has something to do with them opting not to do that. Unless it is down for a refurb, I just can't see Disney setting aside the chance to captivate (and sell) that many guests at once, even for something as big as Star Wars.

At the same time, Star Wars is a pop culture/movie icon that is FULLY deserving of having as many stops as possible pulled out for such a milestone.

In the end, I really don't know what to think. I guess more significant merchandise would have probably been good, and although I didn't attend so I don't know, if the stuff this year that was used in the park was recycled, it would have at least been nice to get some new, cool looking stuff hyping the 30th.

• I was deleted.

THe merch was super sad. Except for the Big Figs ( but who can afford to buy them all anyway). Only one big Fig was sold each week anyway.Lame.
    The merch (clothing at least) is only going to end up at the Cast tent sale again and at Property Control, etc. like the other special merch does.

• Banned User

I totally agree with you. This year's SW event was a dud for me, and even the merchandise didn't seem to be all that memorable. Personally, I think this event has finally run out of fuel... the same way the Wine fest and Flower fest have at EPCOT. WDW events do not offer nothing new and fresh from one year to the next, reason why I simply don't care much for them.

Quick question, does the price of all the merchandise in Disney-MGM Studios go up if ou were to visit during Star Wars Weekends?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by asdfasdfa View Post
    Quick question, does the price of all the merchandise in Disney-MGM Studios go up if ou were to visit during Star Wars Weekends?
    I have never seen any difference in the prices of merchandise due to the Star Wars weekend. I don't even think Disney has the manpower to make such changes. Besides... that seems highly unethical. Price gorging if you please...

• Progressive Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by asdfasdfa View Post
    No. I can't even imagine why it would. I mean, there are plenty of visitors to MGM during those weekends who aren't there for the Star Wars festivities so they shouldn't have to be penalized because they are there during a Star Wars weekend.

I sounds as if I would have also been disappointed if I went back down this year after having done it the year before.

My belief is that Disney isn't necessarily holding these SW Weekends to be something for hardcore SW fans to make an annual trek to, but more of a perk for the casual fans and park visitors to experience.

If they were truly trying to attract hardcore SW on an annual basis, they would try a lot hard to make each year's festivities varied from the prior years. Instead, I would expect them to continue to put on the same basic presentation for years to come.

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    The merch (clothing at least) is only going to end up at the Cast tent sale again and at Property Control, etc. like the other special merch does.
    Excellent.

WplusK.com

• Senior Minion

Hey you lot! Stop your griping!

My 'local' Disney Park - DLP - doesn't even have SW weekends!

And we have to put up with Star Tours in French!

Pah!

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    And we have to put up with Star Tours in French!
    I had the joy of experiencing the attraction somewhat in French as DLPbopazot translated a bit as we rode it once. I must say it made it quite enjoyable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast