• Minion

Horizons and World of Motion had the soul most of the new EPCOT lacks.

I just viewed videos of World of Motion and Horizons on Youtube. These rides seemed to have the soul and magic that EPCOT is missing nowdays. A large part of the problem with Mission: Space and Test Track is that they lack personality, they feel mostly soulless, as if they were just metalic objects. It would be awesome for EPCOT to bring back Horizons. And now that it looks like Body Wars will unfortenately soon be gone, EPCOT will probably build another soulless ride in it's place. Do you believe that Future World is (has been) going in the wrong direction?

Re: Horizons and World of Motion had the soul most of the new EPCOT lacks.

I do believe that.

I grew up on the old EPCOT rides... and I loved them. I learned a lot from them, and they encouraged me to go out and learn more!

One example of that is the european dark ages, and the learning that continued during that time in the middle east. History is so euro-centric, when I heard about islamic and jewish scholars on spaceship earth, it was news to me! That's just one example about how the old EPCOT rides opened my eyes to knowledge and encouraged me to learn more about things, after I got home.

I know things have to evolve, and I'm not saying keep EPCOT static. I'm not against all new rides. However, I don't feel that thrill rides are the only way to capture children and young adults' interest. As a child, my interest was caught by the old rides- I think it's a foolish arguement to say that thrill rides have to be built to interest kids in the park. GOOD rides capture interest.

Anyway, that's my two cents- disney, build some good rides that teach visitors something- that was what EPCOT was supposed to be all about!

• If We Can Dream It...

Has FW been going in the wrong direction? Yes.
    Were Horizons & WOM more soulfull than TT & M:S? Yes.
    Is FW still going in the wrong direction? I honestly don't know.

But then there's things that give me hope. The way they refurbed the last remaining Communicore hallway; Ice Station Cool's transformation into Club Cool; & SSE's new post-show give me hope that the old EPCOT Center spirit still lives.

Would I like to see Horizons and WOM back some day? Yes but, I don't want the old ride, I want a new exciting experience! I want it to be pure classic Epcot fun! Epcot needs Horizons and WOM as Epcot should be for the whole family, not for thrill seekers (M:S, TT) and little kids (GFT, Seas). Epcot should teach you something. It shouldn't force you to learn but, the opportunity to if you wish.

Who knows what will happen in the future? Without Horizons, we can't see it!
    - Horizonsfan

• Fastpass Hater

Yes, Mission Space is a soulless $100 million dollar waste. The old attractions had some character (and characters).

There's something about being told I have a task to do in the ride, but knowing fully well that it has absolutely no effect on the outcome makes me wonder why they actually couldn't actually let you do what you wanted with their Xbox 360 graphics. It's like riding in a car as a passenger with a plastic steering wheel on your lap, you can turn the wheel wherever you want to, but its not going to change everything.

We're still talking about Horizons and World of Motion now, is there going to be the same level of nostalgia when inevitably, MS and Test Track are removed for something new?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nom View Post
    However, I don't feel that thrill rides are the only way to capture children and young adults' interest. As a child, my interest was caught by the old rides- I think it's a foolish arguement to say that thrill rides have to be built to interest kids in the park. GOOD rides capture interest.
    Plus these "thrill" rides are hardly "thrills." Test Track is basically like riding in a car without the threat of danger. On Mission: Space, it hardly feels like you are moving. If you are gonna built something and call it a "thrill ride," make it thrilling.

• I'm Engaged!!!!!

I do agree that the original mission of Future World is lost. The "Great, Big, Beautiful Tommorrow" is completely gone from Tommorrowland and Future World.
    But I don't necessarily think that the new theme of Future World (Discovery) is a bad thing.
    Test Track lets you discover what it's like in a Auto Plant which I think is pretty cool.
    Also, Mission Space lets you DISCOVER what it's like to travel realistically in space (as opposed to the fantasy-like space mountain)
    I dont think that Discoveryland is a bad thing so I think that they should make one side of Future World that is dedicated to the "Great Big Beautiful Tommorrow" with horizens, WOM, and SSE types of attractions.
    And the other side could be dedicated to discovery.
    wishesjake and SleepingBeauty867

• See you there!

Horizons, World of Motion and Wonders of life were great attractions/rides. I enjoyed them very much. I realize that there are people who enjoy the new rides, but I just can't ride them (health reasons). It would be nice if they were to put something in the Wonders of Life that could be accessed by more folks than just the folks who like thrill rides.

So, yes, I also believe some of the "soul" of Epcot has been taken. Progress and change, can't stop it, can't fight it. I now look to other areas of Epcot for my entertainment.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    Plus these "thrill" rides are hardly "thrills." Test Track is basically like riding in a car without the threat of danger. On Mission: Space, it hardly feels like you are moving. If you are gonna built something and call it a "thrill ride," make it thrilling.

Interesting.

This brings to light something I have been wondering about.

Everybody seems to like to complain about the rough track on Space Mountain. SM IS a thrill ride. If I wanted smooth I would rent a Caddy and drive up and down the block.

Yet now, you say M:S is not thrilling enough. So what is it people want? Do you want a smooth comfy ride you can relax on, or do you want a bone shaker.

Personaly, I like SM the way it is. In fact, make it rougher if you can. I love old wooden coaster. The more brused up you get the better.

M:S is nice, but it would be nicer if the interaction did DO something. Yes, it cannot change the spin, but maby do something with the view screen or maybe give a score afterwards. "Your Commander missed his task, had this been a real flight, your crew would now be a fine paste on Mars" That would be a cool ending.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Banned User

I agree with the topic creator.

I fail to see why they had to bulldoze horizons and wom. I understand they needed more variety in the attractions and a few thrill rides but why not build an entirely new pavillion? There was space on either side of The Land and they could have replaced Innoventions/Communicore with something. You could add tons of thrills to the world showcase pavillions.

So I fail to see why they took out 2 really popular and great attractions that were the heart and soul of Epcot (along with SSE and Imagination)

It's really sad when the narrator says the spirit of epcot is "if you can dream it you can do it" on the monorail because without Horizons the message really loses reasonance with the average guest.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    Plus these "thrill" rides are hardly "thrills." Test Track is basically like riding in a car without the threat of danger.
    ITA with this! I also feel that it is too bright inside the building... you can see the track in front of you, so you know if you are or are not going to spin out.

Maybe for younger visitors it is more thrilling, but for someone who drives everyday, test track just seems redundant.

And about both test track and mission space (and soarin for that matter)- what do you really learn from them? I guess test track does show you what happens at a car testing facility, but what do you really learn?

• "There's always my way"

Epcot will never be EPCOT Center. I grew up with EPCOT Center in the 1980s, as a matter of fact, we almost share a birthday. I will always regard this park as my favorite Disney park because of some type of attraction that I have to it. I do admit that they have butchered a lot of the soul and idea that EPCOT was intended to have. I miss a lot of it's old attractions like WoM and especially Horizons. But I see a promising future with Siemens so far. The post show of SSE is really good, with the promise of future expansion. I can't wait to see the "reimagined" SSE as proposed. I hope Siemens is a sign that Epcot will soon be coming back to what EPCOT was. The taking down of the wand will be the first sign, the new SSE, and then finally, the Leave a Legacy murals. The "Great Big Beautfiful Tomorrow" is starting to look promising for Epcot.

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Nom View Post
    ITA with this! I also feel that it is too bright inside the building... you can see the track in front of you, so you know if you are or are not going to spin out.

Maybe for younger visitors it is more thrilling, but for someone who drives everyday, test track just seems redundant.

And about both test track and mission space (and soarin for that matter)- what do you really learn from them? I guess test track does show you what happens at a car testing facility, but what do you really learn?
    Well Soarin teachs you about the environment...to appricate land and its resources and you learn alot of neat facts in the queue. Thats why its the best of the bunch.

Test track and mission space are dumb.