Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Help With Choosing a Deluxe Resort

My husband and I are in the initial stages of planning a trip to WDW for our 10th wedding anniversary this November. We have decided that we would prefer to stay at a Deluxe Resort. We have our list narrowed down to the following Resorts:

Beach Club/Yacht Club
    Contemporary
    Polynesian

Which of these three (okay four) resorts would you recommend for a week long stay? I have already read the reviews of the hotels on MC. And I visit http://www.allearsnet.com and http://www.mousesavers.com once a day on average.

I would love to stay at a resort on the monorail line for the convience. My husband thinks it would be super cool to be that close to all the action. During my last visit, I stayed at Boardwalk Villas. I loved the convience of being able to walk to Epcot and the boat ride to MGM was fantastic.

This will be my third trip and my husband's first trip to WDW.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Help With Choosing a Deluxe Resort

I would say the Polynesian. The Contemporary might be a little hectic with construction, and is less romantic than the others, so I would discount that immediately. I would say that the Polynesian wins for me due to its extremely romantic theming, as well as the monorail. I don't feel the Yacht and Beach Clubs really capture romance as well as the Polynesian, but it also depends on the romance you are looking for. Tropical getaway or New Englad Seaside?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

If you had asked me this question 10yrs ago, I would have said Contemporary. It was the first hotel I ever stayed at with my parents in 1981, so it has a special place in my heart, with that being said, after staying at the Poly a few years ago, I have to say that is my choice hotel.

It is so nice, and romantic, and quiet. If you get a view of the lagoon, its even better. Plus you have the luau and Ohana's

I've stayed at each of these hotels (well, Yacht Club, not Beach), and after staying at the Yacht club, I designated that as my favorite all-around WDW resort (I've also been to 2 moderates, all value resorts, and Wilderness Lodge and Old Key West, so I like to think I can base that opinion on something).

The monorail is great, but reality is, you're not going to spend each day at MK, and, IMO, it's not that convenient to get to Epcot (switching at TTA, then that agonizingly long ramp...torture after a long day at Epcot).

The Yacht club has beautiful rooms (and views), although pretty much similar to the standard of the rest of the deluxe resorts...I found it had a bit more personality, IMO.

The ability to walk to the Boardwalk for some nighttime activities was really cool, and of course, you can take a 5-minute walk to Epcot - unbeatable, even compared to walking to MK from Contemporary. In recent years, Epcot has really become my favorite park, and I just love the quick walk (or, you can take the boat...which I'll get to).

The boat launch to MGM takes about 15 minutes or so, and is leisurely, comes regularly (it's either on the :15 and :45 of each hour or the :00 and :30...one's for going toward Epcot, the other MGM). The times are extremely accurate, I've found..much more reliable than a bus. My family loves to take the boat even when we're not staying at Yacht Club (it also stops at the Swan and Dolphin and the Boardwalk...am I forgetting one?). Literally, with very little walking, significantly less, IMO than walking to the monorail station, you are at two parks (well, one after a relaxing boat ride). There are rarely significant lines for the boat, even before park openings...it's just less stress than the bus.

Yes, you do have to take the bus to MK and AK; however, again, I've noticed that the WDW is less busy at these resorts. Yacht and Beach each have their own stops, so you're not fighting off 2 resorts worth of people (and you can sit on one of the benches and not worry if you're going to get a seat). You will share a bus with Beach Club (and rarely, mostly only going to DTD, I've noticed, with possibly Swan and Dolphin, or possibly BW).

During my trips, I usually head to MK for park opening once, maybe twice, which is the only time I've had to take a bus (only once for AK). Usually, when heading back to MK, it's from another park, so I'm still not waiting for too many buses from my hotel.

I hope this long-winded answer is helpful to you. I really do love the Yacht Club, and I hope to eventually stay there again (ah, the lovely budget...).

I just read your post again and noticed you mentioned the boat so you're right on top of that, but I'll leave my explanation about the boat in for other MCers who might be wondering.

Anyway, good luck with your decision!
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Thank you for the advice so far! I really did feel spoiled staying at Boardwalk Villas with how easy it was to get to Epcot and MGM. I had forgotten about the monorail ramps. My feet say "ouch!".
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.

NO GOATS!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

It would be between the Poly and the Beach Club for me. Beach Club is a fantastic location, but Poly is so gorgeous and romantic. Celebrating an anniversary at the Poly just seems soo romantical

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Happy Memories

It really kinda depends on what you guys would enjoy most, but I'll offer a few opinions anyway. I'd cross the contemporary off the list right away. It's just never held much appeal to me, and as already stated will be under construction.

Poly would be wonerful and romantic and have great monorail access, but as stated previously, that's really only beneficial for the time you want to spend at Magic Kingdom.

Personally, I'd be leaning towards Yacht or Beach. You've got the great bot access to 2 parks. Walking distance from Epcot, which is my favorite park. That would be great for popping into Epcot any evening during your stay for a romantic dinner somewhere in the world showcase. Plus there's the Boardwalk right there for a bit of nightlife.

Truly, I think there's plenty of enjoyment to be had no matter where you stay, since you will be at WDW after all. It's just a matter of what appeals most to you (and that's not necesarily going to be the same as what appeals to the rest of us).

Polynesian, if you are more into quick access to the MK and EPCOT via monorail.

• World Traveler

My first choice would be the Contemporary, followed by the Polynesian and lastly, the Y&B clubs.

Or ... you could split the stay and do a few nights in each!

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    Or ... you could split the stay and do a few nights in each!
    My husband made a suggestion in jest last night that we resort hop each night of our stay. I told him we could resort hop without changing rooms. So we now have one day built into our itinerary that will be just for resort hopping.

NO GOATS!

• "There's always my way"

Have you considered the Grand Floridian or the Boardwalk hotel?

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

• I was deleted.

Poly is very romantic and has great connections to MK and Epcot (boat or monorail) and the dining locations are amazing as well!

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Grand Floridian has never really been on my list of resorts I have wanted to visit while at WDW. There are so many others that are ahead of it on my long list of resorts I would like ot stay at. As for Boardwalk, I have already stayed there. I am trying to stay at a different resort each time I visit.

NO GOATS!

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by mamabot View Post
    My husband made a suggestion in jest last night that we resort hop each night of our stay. I told him we could resort hop without changing rooms. So we now have one day built into our itinerary that will be just for resort hopping.
    Excellent idea. I made a whole trip out of just exploring the resorts one time. We didn't have passes at the time, but still were able to get a little Disney magic getaway. Some of them really are amazing.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

About the change to EPCOT via monorail at the TTC: The Polynesian also is nice because you can walk to the TTC. When BPF and I stayed there, the TTC was closer to our room than the Great Ceremonial House.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast