Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• World Traveler

Universal offers FREE one day tickets - What about WDW?

This bothers the heck out of me ...

A co-worker of mine received a mailing from Universal Orlando Resort offering him a FREE one day/two park ticket and he can take up to six friends along for $39.99 each.

For me to get anything even close to this at Disney, I'd have to get a 10 day park hopper ticket, which is not even offered to Florida residents. I don't go as often as I'd like, as it's pretty far for me to drive up there all the time, so the annual or seasonal passports aren't good for me.

I know Universal must be hurting for business, but doesn't Disney want to compete?

• Banned User

Re: Universal offers FREE one day tickets - What about WDW?

Mikey, you know Disney never offers this type of promotional ticketing? Their reasoning is "people come here to see US, not them", so they do not feel compelled to offer freebies. I think the highly reduced prices of hotels on property is their way of giving back to keep the resorts at 85% or more accupancy.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    ... snip

I know Universal must be hurting for business, but doesn't Disney want to compete?
    At present Disney OWNS the theme park crowd. They do not need to compete. Who are they going to compete with (Epcot vs. MK, Studios vs AK)?

No, the reason Disney doesn't do this is simple...

They don't have to.

But the tide can turn, if Uinversal and others are successful at competing (may take several years to catch up) Disney just may have to compet then.

But for now, the answer is simple...

They don't have to.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Mikey, you know Disney never offers this type of promotional ticketing? Their reasoning is "people come here to see US, not them", so they do not feel compelled to offer freebies. I think the highly reduced prices of hotels on property is their way of giving back to keep the resorts at 85% or more accupancy.

Exactly

WDW is a destination in and of iteself. People will "go" to Disney. They may take side trips to Sea World, or universal, but in their minds they are "going" to Disney.

The other attractions in the area need to "fight" over the people who are "going" to Orlando.

It's teh same reason I can get discounts at HersheyPark, DorenyPark, Mountain Creek, and Six Flags Great Adventure - they are not "desitination" parks, but parks that have to entice people into them with a discount.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• World Traveler

What you all say is very true. But you know what? My co-worker will be going to Universal because of this promotion and not even step on Disney property.

So sad.

Blog Entries

And your co-worker will have a great time. Universal is a great place, but they're hurting for visitors so they're having to give away tickets like this and give buy one year of annual pass get a second year free deals.

I'm not complaining because those are some great deals of which I have taken advantage, but Disney doesn't need to give away free tickets. They're getting tons more people in their parks without it. It would make absolutely no marketing sense to do that.

• See you there!

Disney really needs to discourage people from going to their parks.
    They are all too darn crowded anyway!

Maybe if more people go to Universal, there will be less crowds at WDW, thus more fun at WDW.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• back to WDW in January

A while back Universal Orlando built the tecnologically advanced Spiderman Ride which was supposed to propel them to the top of the theme park list and leave Disney Orlando behind wondering exactly what happened. So Disney embarked on a quest to implement a competitive solution to counter the expected loss of guests to Universal. Lo and behold, Spiderman did prove to be an immensely popular ride but in the end, had little to no impact on Disney's bottom line.
    Cut to the present day and we find Disney parks more popular than ever, consistently exceeding attendance expectations.
    So at this stage of the game, Disney needs no gimmicks or freebies and therefore won't be offering them any time soon.
    Last edited by tjcjr; 06-22-2007 at 04:53 AM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    What you all say is very true. But you know what? My co-worker will be going to Universal because of this promotion and not even step on Disney property.

So sad.

What's sad is that Universal needs to practically give their tickets away for people to go. WDW doesn't have that problem at this moment.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    What's sad is that Universal needs to practically give their tickets away for people to go. WDW doesn't have that problem at this moment.
    Frankly, I don't see ANYTHING making WDW have that problem in the foreseeable future (even Potter because that won't justify an entire trip for Universal, maybe a day or two sidetrack).

The reason UO is giving away free tickets and not WDW is quite simple actually. For the past three years, attendance at UO has continued to slide to all time lows for IOA and I believe near all time lows for USF. WDW on the other hand has seen attendance continue to climb at all 4 of its parks, and in the case of AK, to an all time high. Universal needs more people and more people means more cash which means better things in the future for their parks and thus the entire Orlando theme park area assuming competition stays strong. The theme parks in the big scheme of things make little money, relatively speaking, from the price of an admission ticket. Their big bucks come from selling merchandise, food, water, snacks, etc., etc. to guests during the day. However if people aren't coming to the parks, they won't be making money off of those things. Giving away free tickets hopefully helps to solve that problem, which is NOT a problem at WDW's four parks.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

If Universal is desperate enough to give away free tickets (they also did that here with Universal Hollywood, I got the mailer a few weeks ago) doesn't mean that Disney should stoop down to their level because frankly, they don't need to. The Parks are crowded enough without adding folks with free tickets.

Universal giving away free tickets is like them throwing in the towel, at least temporarily (finally adding something to Islands of Adventure is a good start, that it's Potter is amazing and hopefully is well worth the wait)... Disney doesn't need to do that.

Remember, the top five most attended theme parks in the World are Disney. :P
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Actually, Disneyland mailed out Free one day ParkHoppers to selected SoCal residents last fall, here is a thread with a scan of the mailer...

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39036

So I guess Disney thought it DID need to do that....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Blog Entries

I wouldn't say its throwing in the towel anymore than tropical smoothie giving away free smoothies today is throwing in the towel. The idea is to get people through your gates, to spend money on the merchandise thats there, and to realize that the parks are actually great fun and that they should come back again. Also, the free tickets are only good for one person at a household, the rest of the people in the household have to pay, although it is a cheaper price. So if they can get that one person in for free, they will more than likely bring at least one more person with them who will be paying.

Again the idea is to just get people into the parks. Everybody I've taken with me to them has had a blast and said they want to go back again. The only ones I've seen who thought it was worthless were those who were predisposed to think anything that was in competition with Disney was bad, and for them it could have been the greatest park in the world and they would have hated it.

Universal is a wonderfully fun place. While I love WDW with all my heart, my wife and I do own AP's to USO and we've been there more times than Disney due to that. We have just as good a time at Universal as we do at WDW as well.

How many that got free tix would send back $40 of that free $60 right off the top that wouldn't have paid for FOTL otherwise? And how many friends will they bring for the friends discount price that otherwise wouldn't have thought to come? And how many of those will buy FOTL? I'd say quite a few actually. It's another discount promotion. WDW gives them too. Free DDP in September is a huge discount. There are also hotel discounts and the like, and WDW did give away Hopping and Water Fun with a MYW base ticket purchase. But I believe Universal will always have more aggressive discounting on its tickets. Due to differences in WDW and Universal, the former has far greater flexibility in its discounting.
    Last edited by WSVR; 06-22-2007 at 12:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast