Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• If We Can Dream It...

Anybody else with me on this?

It seems everywhere I look (not just on MC but, other sites too), there's a thread about the controversial MGM hat or Epcot wand. And in these threads there's a group of people that say "down with the hat & wand" and there's always another group that responds "I love the hat and wand! Don't get rid of 'em!" (You guys are probably going: )

My problem is, I like the hat and absolutely hate the wand! I can't wait for the day that the wand is gone from SSE. And I get why there is a hate of the hat but, it just doesn't really bother me. Is there anybody out there who's like me and only likes/dislikes one of these two controversial "icons"?
    - Horizonsfan

• Pathetically Obsessed

Re: Anybody else with me on this?

Which one burns longer?

"Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Well the reason for the hat is because MGM had no central hub piece like every other park in Disney...

MK: Castle
    Epcot: SSE
    AK: Tree of Life
    MGM: Hat (but had nothing originally)

I guess they put the hat so they would keep with the theme that every park in WDW has a central hub.

I dont like either, but out of the 2, I hate that stupid wand and hand on SSE. It makes no sense.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parisi View Post
    Well the reason for the hat is because MGM had no central hub piece like every other park in Disney...

MK: Castle
    Epcot: SSE
    AK: Tree of Life
    MGM: Hat (but had nothing originally)

I guess they put the hat so they would keep with the theme that every park in WDW has a central hub.

I dont like either, but out of the 2, I hate that stupid wand and hand on SSE. It makes no sense.
    I thought the Chinese Theater was the central piece to MGM?

• I'm Engaged!!!!!

I completely agree with the OP
    The hat is cool!!!
    wishesjake and SleepingBeauty867

• World Traveler

I don't particularly like the wand, but can sort of tune it out. The hat on the other hand just blocks the view of the theater and I can't wait till it's removed.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I don't mind the hat but the wand has to go. It was nice to have the Chinese Theater but has anyone looked at it lately? I don't think I would want people to see that as the center piece with the condition its in.

Wow, starting to sound like TDLFan or Bill.

• back to WDW in January

Quote Originally Posted by Parisi View Post
    Well the reason for the hat is because MGM had no central hub piece like every other park in Disney
    The original icon for Disney-MGM was the Earful Tower and that was fine with me. I always saw the Chinese Theater as the central hub piece though it is definitely not unique to Disney as the other icons are.
    I do actually like the hat, alot - I just hate the location of it. It interrupts the flow of the park and really doesn't fit with the surrounding landscape, scenery or themeing.
    I obviously can see the castle as being the central hub piece for the MK but SE is actually at the entrance to Future World, not in the center, and the Tree of Life is down a ways and off center in the AK not even visible from the entrance so, with all that said, I really don't see why the hat could not have been placed in a different location.

The wand has just got to go - it was tolerable for the Millenium Celebration but it has definitely overstayed it's welcome.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

The tree of life, SE and the Castle are called Weinies (I think I spelled it wrong) they are not center of the park but they are beacons.

Blog Entries

I don't hate the hate like I do the wand because I don't have nearly the sentimental attachment to MGM as I do to Epcot. When I was a child, all I could think of was Epcot. That park captured my fascination and pushed me towards education and the like more than anything else I've ever known and to me, SSE was the icon of that park. So to see the wand defacing one of my favorite theme park icons in the world makes it hard. Its like someone took one of my greatest memories and destroyed it. So I for one will be wonderfully happy once the wand is gone. In fact, my next trip to Epcot after its gone will probably consist of me just sitting there staring at the wandless SSE for quite a while.

Now I dislike the hat as well because it does ruin the view of the Chinese Theatre that once sat there, but MGM has so thoroughly been destroyed in ways so much worse than the hat, that I can't hate it as much. To me, the backlot tour has more ire for me in that park than the hat does.

• She was sweet as a peach

The hat is ok but the wand has to go.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

I'm with tjcjr. I don't mind the hat, but I think it would be better off somewhere else, like maybe in the Animation Courtyard.

I have never minded the wand, but after reading all these posts about it, I have since changed my mind. But this is a mute point since it is being taken down anyway.

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Let me clarify...

Every park has a Central item, that can be looked upon from 360 degrees.

You can walk around SSE, you can walk around Tree of Life, you can walk around the castle..

With MGM, the chinese theater might have been central, but it was just at the end of the block, it wasnt like the castle, or SSE, or ToL.

The Water Tower was just a structure to add that movie lot element to the park, it wasnt a hub.

To me, the hat is disney's answer to a centrally located hub. It might look ugly, but that is Disney's choice

Quote Originally Posted by tjcjr View Post
    The original icon for Disney-MGM was the Earful Tower...
    The tower was one of the Park's icons...mainly used on printed media. But there's no question that the Chinese Theater was this Park's "castle" and main in-park icon. Even all the Press Releases stated that. They also often stated that Hollywood Boulevard was Disney-MGM's equivalent of the Magic Kingdom's Main Street.

I was hanging around a lot with the Marketing folks at WDW back in those days, and I seem to recall there were some limitations on just what they could use an image of the Chinese Theater on. I'm a little blurry on that though. Might have been that they had the right (or rights) to duplicate the building...but didn't secure the rights (or have the right) to utilize its image as a marketing icon for the Park?

I do know for a fact that there were tons of all sorts of little do's and dont's about all the various licensing and public domain usages regarding all the various non-Disney properties represented in the Park.

The most cumbersome was the MGM's contract that specified that the Park always only be referred to as "The Disney-MGM Studios Theme Park"...and never just "Disney-MGM" or "MGM" and such. Always had to have the whole thing with that "Theme Park" added even if a Cast Member was just referring to it casually to a Guest. That was quite a mouthful and it was near impossible to drill into Cast Member's heads that they always must use the complete long form when speaking the name of the Park!

Some years later Disney finally got a break from MGM, and some sort of waiver that allowed for the dropping of the "Theme Park" insistence.

Another one that I recall had to do with The Wizard of Oz segment of The Great Movie Ride. Apparently Disney's license with MGM only allowed them to represent their Oz film for so many minutes at the Park. The lead-in to the Wizard of Oz room and set was to have been you entering the tornado that Dorothy gets sucked-up into, that leads to Oz. There were projections of the tornado scene from the film in Black & White on the walls of a room and you were blown with a strong stream of air. But that tornado bit caused Disney to exceed their alloted time for usage of the film...so at the last minute the tornado business was cut and in its place was slapped Mickey Mouse in the Sorcerer's Apprentice of Fantasia...with same wind blowing ...and that's what you see today.

There was (and is) lots of stuff and licensing restrictions and limitations like this going on at this Park. And I seem to recall there were limitations on just what the Chinese Theater could be used for.

Disney would have likely had to pay (or pay extra) to use the Chinese Theater as the marketing icon of the Park...while the Earful Tower was free! And we all know how penny-pinching and control freakish Disney can be about such things at times.

Another one that happened almost at the same time as Disney-MGM was at Typhoon Lagoon (they both opened the same year). Originally the "Castaway Creek" attraction was to be called "Up A Lazy River"...after the famous song of the same name. I was told that whoever owned the rights to the song wanted like $5,000 for the theme park rights to use the name...and Disney didn't want to pay it...and Castaway Creek was free...so....hello Castaway Creek!

• Defying gravity

Um, I, DP4590, like both the hat and the wand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast