Thread: mission space

mission space

Going to wdw next week. I've heard lots about mission space, people getting sick, anybody outthere that can give me the scoop on how this ride works?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: mission space

You get in a box, the box spins, keep your head straight and you will feel some G's and that's it for the Orange side.

If you do mind getting dizzy or have a bad equilibrium I would recommend the Green side that doesn't spin.

Hope that helps!

The ride works by spinning a capsule to create G-force to simulate a lift off and other space forces. I loved the ride and I could not tell it was spinning to create the forces but this ride is the type that is really down to the people riding and how their bodies react. My body fell for the spinning illusion but many will feel the spinning and some will get sick becuase of it.

Go for the lighter option first (you get to choose in the que) and if your ok with that and cant tell if it's spinning go for the full ride. I love Mission Space and it does not deserve the bad press it gets. It's a great Disney attraction and one of Epcot's best!

Blog Entries

I can't ride the original version, anything that spins makes me very sick. Luckily they converted half the ride to be a spinless version so the pods just kind of rock back and forth and drop and things like that to make it feel like you're flying, and I've got to tell you, it does a hell of a good job. So if you're worried about getting sick, just ride the green side.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I've tried both sides, although I tried the original (spinning) version first because in 2004, that was all that was available. The tame version (non-spinning) does an EXCELLENT job at simulating the same experience minus the spinning. Sure, you definitely can't get the true feeling of the amount of g-forces, but it's definitely a nice way to let those who can't handle spinning experience the ride.

• I Miss WDW

Peterhead, Scotland (i.e. Way too far away!)

Unfortunately i rode the orange version and felt really sick but still kinda enjoyed the G force feeling and that!! I don't really like things that spin, but was still kinda glad i tried it out but wouldn't do it again as i felt so sick! :S

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Orange side for LIFE!!!!!

Seriously though, the G's arent that bad, and its kind of cool. I like that ride alot, and I love that there are barf bags there for you should you need to hurl..

I have yet to try the green side, because whats the point... The whole idea of the ride is to experience the G forces of space travel, and with the green side you lose that experience...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've tried both sides and enjoyed both. If you do the more intense (orange) one though, be sure to follow the warnings and instructions to a T. When they say to not turn your head, close your eyes or lean forward... they mean it! If you do any of the former for even a second it will seriously ******* you up.

• Elusive Member

Talking Re: mission space

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I've tried both sides and enjoyed both. If you do the more intense (orange) one though, be sure to follow the warnings and instructions to a T. When they say to not turn your head, close your eyes or lean forward... they mean it! If you do any of the former for even a second it will seriously ******* you up.

Agreed. I rode it before any changes were made and as long as you stay focused on the controlpanel and screen in front of you it's manageable. I don't know if the "orange" version is like the original ride but you really felt the pull on lift-off then, I'm gonna find out in just a few short weeks!!
    The one and only...The Original...
    Mountain Man

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The slingshot around the moon is the best part. Wheeeeeeeee!!!

• Minion

I had a BLAST on this ride last year before they added the green side. No ill effects at all and I even picked up my head and looked around when I wasn't supposed to!

Guess it really depends on the person - if you have a weak tummy and/or get motion sickness at all, you should probably stick with the green side.

Cool Re: mission space

Quote Originally Posted by berozz View Post
    Going to wdw next week. I've heard lots about mission space, people getting sick, anybody outthere that can give me the scoop on how this ride works?

Only time I felt any queezyness was riding it 4 times in a row. (Caught it at no wait time).

If you don't get motion sickness, you shouldn't have a problem. The ride only pulls a couple of G's... it's really not that bad. (although the feeling is so cool!).

Here's some hints to combat motion sickness on a ride.

Eat about an hour before... not eating is WORSE than eating, and being really full isn't a good idea also.

Another one is to carry a hard candy with you, and suck on it a few minutes before going on the ride (Mint, Jolly Rancher, etc)... there is some research that says it helps you from getting motion sickness. (Something about the Sugar).

But really don't worry... it's a great ride, but IMHO not as bad as a roller coaster. The feeling just lasts longer in the ride. The fun part is pulling you arms and legs forward and feeling how "heavy" they feel.