Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

wdw resort transportation

I've read that it can take up to an hour to get from one park to another on the buses in the resort. Anyone have any insight or tips on the transportation between parks.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: wdw resort transportation

The first one would be the monorail for MK and Epcot. If you plan on park hopping between these two, skip the bus.

Really it all depends on where you stay for me to tell you any tricks that would help you.

If your staying at the Poly my advice to get to MK would be different than if you were staying at Pop Century.

I am staying at the wilderness lodge.

• World Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by berozz View Post
    Anyone have any insight or tips on the transportation between parks.
    If you have a car with you, sometimes it's much easier and faster to drive to your destination. If you do not have a car, just relax and enjoy the beautiful Disney scenery.

• back to WDW in January

Unfortunately from the WL you don't have a lot of options outside of the boats and buses. Utilize the Monorails as much as possible from the TTC.
    As has been reported previously, the bus system is undergoing an update to improve communications and efficiency. They recently incorporated LED info screens and on board audio systems that among other things play park related music all of which helps to make for a more pleasant ride.

• See you there!

I've read that it can take up to an hour to get from one park to another on the buses in the resort. Anyone have any insight or tips on the transportation between parks.
    The travel time is 10 - 15 minutes max. The time most folks quote is the time waiting for buses. If you pay attention to bus schedules and arrive at most bus stops about 5 or 10 minutes ealry you should be ok. The most time we've ever had to wait for a bus was when we arrived at a bus stop just after a bus left. Then the wait was 20 - 30 minutes (most of the time, big deal, I'm on vacation, who cares?).

From Wilderness Lodge to get to MK, the boat is a good idea. To Epcot you could take a boat to MK then a Monrail to the TTC (Transportation and Ticket Center) and then transfer to an Epcot Monorail.

To get from other parks (one park to another) it is not a big deal, the longest wait is frequently if you just missed a bus. The travel time is usually only about 10 to 15 mninutes even between parks.

For resort to resort (except MK area resorts) take bus to Downtown Disney then transfer to a bus going to the resort you want to go to. This can take up to 60 minutes depending on timing (just missed a bus). We usually take a taxi between resorts, or taxi to a different resort, then buses back to our resort. To get to an MK area resort (Comtemporary, Poly or Grand Floridian) one easy way is to take a boat to MK, then the Resort Monorail to the Resort. You can also catch a boat from the MK to the Poly or GF.

Travel at WDW can take time, but if you learn the bus schedules, and take advantage of the bus system it can be very easy. Some folks complain contineously about the time it takes to get from one place to another, but I find that learning the bus routes and schedules really helps. I enjoy the buses, as I am on vacation and riding in the bus (as in me NOT driving) I get to see lots of things I would not normally see.

The best advice is to allow plenty of time especially when you have a Priority Seating (dining reservation) to make sure you get there on time. We usually try to arrive at
    the restaurant 10 to 15 minutes early and are frequently seated early. Not sure what happens if one arrives late.

Some folks say "rent a car as it is faster". Well, you don't have to wait for a bus, but you do have to drive, and you have to treck out to the parking lot to get your car, and from the parking lot to the park. It all depends on how you want to spend your time. Either walking in parking lots and finding your way around, or waiting for a bus and letting someone else drive. Me I would rather let someone else drive, I'm on vacation, I would rather allow someone who knows where to go, to get me where ever. Also much easier in the rain, sometimes I've been on a bus when you just can't see much for the rain, well, the bus drivers know where they are going.

I've been using the WDW Transportation System like this since 1994 and had very, very few problems with the transportation system, including the buses.

I hope this helps,

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I like the WDW transportation system myself and we always drive over and leave the car in the parking lot.

He was inquiring as to the length of time it takes to get from one park to another and the total time would be anywhere from 20minutes to an hour would be accurate.

It's all about timing on the buses and the crowd levels for certain.

• She was sweet as a peach

As has been reported previously, the bus system is undergoing an update to improve communications and efficiency. They recently incorporated LED info screens and on board audio systems that among other things play park related music all of which helps to make for a more pleasant ride.
    I didn't know this! Great news!!

Park to park via bus only takes 10 - 15 minutes with the longest trip probably being AK to MK or MGM to MK because you have to take the bus to the TTC and then take the ferry or monorail to MK. As others have said, the actual bus trip is short, it is the wait for the bus to arrive that takes the longest. Buses are dispatched every 20 minutes (sometimes quicker.) Sometimes it can be a longer wait when alot of people want to go from one park that has closed to another park that has EMH. Example: last night MGM had EMH until 1am, so when AK closed at 8pm, there were alot of folks taking the bus to MGM. So it took a while to get everyone over to MGM. It's all in the timing and planning (and a little luck, too!)

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

I am not sure, but see if WL has a boat to the Contemporary, then just hop the monorail to MK. Or see if they have a boat to the MK directly...

• Done and Gone

I've stayed at WL twice and my bus travel times weren't too bad. There also aren't (weren't) that many stops for pickups which made the trips seem faster. The longest treks were to AK, and DTD I think. Its been a couple of years though so I don't recall. I seem to remember them eliminating the bus to TTC though.

The most idle time is spent waiting for the bus to arrive. That being said, at the Boardwalk last year, bus transport was a bit of a pain because our route involved several stops in a VERY short time span which added about 15 - 20 mins to any bus trip. (Boardwalk, Swan,Dolphin, Final Destination and then in reverse, tack on Beach Club resort as well.) A lot of this was perspective no doubt, but it felt like a lot of "nothing time" since a couple of the resorts were literally feet from each other but a bus seems to take forever.

Of course everything always hinges on crowds. What time of year are you going? I've only been to WDW during Sept.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

The trick to getting the most out of WDW vacation is planning ahead. When I was there, I took advantage of all the "early mornings". I then rested either back at my own hotel, or at a Priority Seating meal. I then bused, monorailed, or boated over to a different park.

It is also an advantage, to go during the time of the year, where the parks are open later.

I would say. Study, the transportation system before you leave for your vacation. Also, it is a good idea to also know the park hours for the time you will be there. You will be very glad, if you know this information before you arrive.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL View Post
    T If you pay attention to bus schedules and arrive at most bus stops about 5 or 10 minutes ealry you should be ok.

Is there an actual schedule? I don't really mind the waiting to go to the parks in the morning. It's the waiting at the end of night when those buses seem like they never show up at your stop and the line never ends. I had enough of that mess especially with 2 kids. Gonna try the rental this time around and see how that works.

Smile Re: wdw resort transportation

While my intention isn't to be nitpicky, I just couldn't let such misinformation go uncorrected, in the name of trying to help people who want accurate answers ...
    The travel time is 10 - 15 minutes max. The time most folks quote is the time waiting for buses. If you pay attention to bus schedules and arrive at most bus stops about 5 or 10 minutes ealry you should be ok.
    Honestly, WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? BUS SCHEDULES ... WHAT BUS SCHEDULES??? There's no such thing as bus schedules for Disney Transport buses, and while we're at it there's no such thing as monorail schedules or boat schedules, either.

Buses usually run about every 20 minutes, maybe every 15 minutes, except for the DTD buses which tend to run a little slower, like maybe every 25-30 minutes.

I think it's very responsible for people to include waiting time when giving an estimate of the time it takes to get from Point A to Point B. People aren't usually satisfying an academic curiousity about how long it takes once the bus is in motion. They want to know how long it will take their bodies to get from Point A to Point B. If their bodies might have to wait for a bus, then that waiting time must be included in the answer of "How long does it take ...?"
    From Wilderness Lodge to get to MK, the boat is a good idea. To Epcot you could take a boat to MK then a Monrail to the TTC (Transportation and Ticket Center) and then transfer to an Epcot Monorail.
    I agree with your MK route, but strongly disagree with your Epcot route, as it would be unnecessarily slow. What you've left out, again, is waiting time. If you take the boat to MK and then the monorail to Epcot, you have to get off the monorail at the TTC and then go around to the other platform to get the Epcot-bound monorail. This route will include three separate waiting times: the wait for the boat at WL, the wait for the monorail outside MK, and the wait for the monorail at the TTC. YUK! It would be MUCH FASTER and MUCH MORE EFFICIENT to simply take the bus from Wilderness Lodge to Epcot!!! While I'm not in a rush while on vacation, either, if I can make a simple choice between waiting for 3 modes of transportation versus waiting for only one ... well now, that IS an easy choice, isn't it.
    For resort to resort (except MK area resorts) take bus to Downtown Disney then transfer to a bus going to the resort you want to go to.
    This may be the best way sometimes, but might be an absolutely terrible way other times. It all depends where you're coming from, where you're going to, and whether it's after park closing times. DTD is a good hub if other parks are closed (because DTD is open so late every night of the week), or if you're coming from or going to resorts that are closer to DTD than to any park.

But, for example, if you are going from Animal Kingdom Lodge to Pop Century (or in the opposite direction), going out of your way to transfer buses at DTD would just be silly. You'd do better taking a bus to Animal Kingdom or Epcot or MGM and transferring there. Same thing going from Wilderness Lodge to the All Stars, Caribbean Beach to Coronado Springs, etc.
    To get to an MK area resort (Comtemporary, Poly or Grand Floridian) one easy way is to take a boat to MK, then the Resort Monorail to the Resort. You can also catch a boat from the MK to the Poly or GF.
    I'm guessing the word "boat" that I underlined in bold was simply a typo and that you meant "bus."
    Travel at WDW can take time, but if you learn the bus schedules, and take advantage of the bus system it can be very easy. Some folks complain contineously about the time it takes to get from one place to another, but I find that learning the bus routes and schedules really helps. I enjoy the buses, as I am on vacation and riding in the bus (as in me NOT driving) I get to see lots of things I would not normally see.

The best advice is to allow plenty of time especially when you have a Priority Seating (dining reservation) to make sure you get there on time.
    Again, for those playing at home, there is NO SUCH THING as bus schedules at WDW.

But I agree that Disney Transport is a very pleasant way to travel. I'm not in a huge rush during vacation, either. I like to let someone else drive. I like to take time to smell the audio-animatronic roses.

And by the way, the term "Priority Seating" hasn't been used since 2005. They're now called Advance Dining Reservations (ADRs).

• Minion

Stayed at Coronado Springs (bus only - no monorail or boat) last year and the average time from walking out the door to arriving in a park was roughly 20-30 minutes with one trip taking roughly 40 minutes (including wait time for the bus).

This year, we're staying at the Polynesian (monorail, boat, bus and close proximity to the TTC) with one of the thoughts being faster service to and from parks. It'll be interesting to compare the travel times at Poly to those of a bus only resort like CS.
    Last edited by Pacha; 06-21-2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: To correct spelling - Polynesian, not Polynesial!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast