• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Disney Vacation Club

TO All,

This goes out to anyone who has a membership in the DVC.

As some of you know I just returned from WDW a couple weeks back and I became interested in the DVC... I ordered the free dvd from them, but I have yet to watch it.

What I am trying to find out is what are the costs associated with.

How much is the initial payment to Disney, and then what are the monthly payments.

If any member wants to send me a PM with the details, that would be great.

Thanks All...

• Done and Gone

Re: Disney Vacation Club

PM Sent.

• I Miss WDW

Peterhead, Scotland (i.e. Way too far away!)

PM me too if possible or write on here - im very interested too!

• Defying gravity

Well, I figure I might as well post a few things about DVC for all interested members to read:

According to DVC, current prices start at $16,640. This is for the minimum contract of 150 points.

I'm not entirely sure if you would be buying into Saratoga Springs or the Animal Kingdom Villas, so prices will probably change. I believe the current price per point is $101. (In my WDW TR (see sig), I have posted some DVC/SSR info in case anyone is interested.)

The contract is good until 2052 at SSR. You pay monthly dues per point, and the amount all just depends on what resort you buy into.

My best advice to anyone interesting in buying DVC is to go to WDW and TAKE THE TOUR FIRST!!! Make sure you really like the rooms, the resort, etc. The tours are great - a DVC van picks you up anywhere within the resort and the tour time is customized to fit your schedule. All the guides are very well informed and can answer any DVC specific questions.

• Geoff London

As a DVC memebr who paid up front I can't give you any guidance on the payment plan. However, the people to talk to is DVC themselves surely. Contact them on: 800 633 5139. There is absolutely NO PRESSURE - I can guarantee you. Our agent was Jenna Mazza and she was more than helpful every step of the way and made no moves until we were totally satisfied with the answers to all our questions. Even then she tookus through each stage. The pioints are now $103 each but there is a minimum purchase of 150. Currently you can get a credit back of up to $1600. Have a good look at the website:
    http://dvc.disney.go.com/dvc/guest/a...erBenefitsPage

Order the DVD. Book a tour if you're going to be at WDW, Check out the guided tours on the website - then call them and ask your questions. They'll answer you honestly. One thing to remember is that there are annual dues for your home resort (you can buy into more than one so you can purchase for Animal Kingdom as well as Saratoga Springs) and there are closing fees. You are buying your vacations (not just at Disney parks) for the next 40 odd years. It's a big layout but it will pay for itself over the years. And you can laeve it in your will to your family.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Elusive Member

We are seriously considering this option too since we end up traveling across country just about every year now to vacation at WDW. I don't mind paying the upfront fees but we aren't very comfortable with the annual dues. You just don't have any control over that aspect. In some resort plans once you buy in your annual dues are locked. Not so with this one. They can significantly increase over the life ofthe plan. It's true that you can pass on the membership to your heirs,but you are also passing along the annual fees to them.
    The one and only...The Original...
    Mountain Man

• Defying gravity

However, remember that the amount of points in each resort is locked in. Let's say that SSR wants to raise the rates for a studio 2 points, well then the cost of a 2-bedroom, etc. must likewise go down 2 points.....

• Geoff London

Good point (no pun intended!)

• Elusive Member

Did not know that. Thanks
    The one and only...The Original...
    Mountain Man

So about 16,000 up front for membership, is that corrrect?

I've heard nothing but good things about the 2 major (to me anyways) resellers. Plus, when you go with a reseller the minimum to buy is 25 points I believe. Once I saw that 150 points wasn't the minimum to buy I became extremely interested in buying DVC through a reseller. But with any major purchase like this it is always important to do as much research as possible.

• Geoff London

If you haven't a lot of cash to spare then resales are a good way to get into DVC as long as you realise that 25 points isn't going to get you much of a vacation - maybe two nights at a low time of year. The reason Disney recommend buying in at the 150 level is because that would give you an average choice for week for a resort. One caution - any sales that are not by Disney - ensure you use an escrow account so that you don't loose out to crooks.

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    So about 16,000 up front for membership, is that corrrect?
    Just a little over that figure plus closing costs and annual dues.
    I quote:
    "On average, it costs about the price of just seven family vacations* to join Disney Vacation Club. But for that same one-time purchase price and closing costs, plus annual dues, you and your family enjoy over 45 years of amazing vacations. In addition, Disney Vacation Club offers many ways to make Membership affordable. Through special incentives and financing options for qualified buyers, you can find a plan that's just right for how you like to vacation. Simply call Disney Vacation Club at (800) 500-3990 and a representative will help you customize a Membership plan that lets you and your family start making magical memories today and for years to come. Outside the U.S. or Canada, please call (407) 566-3100.

*Based on an average cost for each vacation of $2,325, including tax, for a seven-night stay in a Studio at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort."

Easy payment plans are available but only to US residents as far as I can make out. They do make offers where you get up to $1600 back based on your buy in level. So Cal residents who are already DVC members were recently offered buy ins at Animal Kingdom at a discount for a limited time.

As I keep saying call them for specifics - there is no obligation to buy.