Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Why can't you tune a fish

Re: Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post
    Aw geez, I didn't mean to open this can o' worms!

Just to clarify, the money issue with this trip is the of the trade off variety. Only in this case it was a "give up the nice, but totally unnecessary kitchen remodel to go to WDW" thing. So, in this case, it's definitely not being irresponsible, nor is it getting into massive debt for a frivolous thing...it's simply making a choice.

Ah, no worries there.

Sorry about that, I have just seen a number of people who seem to run up debt like its going out of style.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Diamond In The Rough

I'll just chip in -

1) I'll be honeymooning at WDW Oct 6-20
    2) I think Kevin's got the balance of praise/criticism just right - keep it up!
    3) I have run up massive debt, but none of it was to pay for this trip

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

• Minion

Blog Entries

I am going from Oct. 17 to Oct. 27th... My goal is to do it for $600... I am sooo excited...
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• I'd rather be @ D-land

I and my family will most likely be there ~20-27 Oct at the Shades of Green (across the street from the Poly I understand). I have to check the Meets Forum to see if there are Sunday noon meets someplace @ WDW like at DL.
    And for the record;
    I think Kevin Yee has a great balance also and shows his love of the Disney properties.
    Hope to meet you, Pacha!

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Snow_White_Raven View Post
    I am going from Oct. 17 to Oct. 27th... My goal is to do it for $600... I am sooo excited...

$600 total ?

10 nights + flight + food + Park tickets (maybe) for $600

What are you doing, taking the bus and sleeping in a tent? And really, a tent is not that cheap anymore - Its something I have considered doing

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• May the F=ma be with you

Did you forget to tag on another zero at the end of the financial numeral that you posted?

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• "There's always my way"

hopefully HM is back by then. Make sure to visit the Food & Wine Festival while you are there in October!

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney View Post
    But as you can tell to most readers don't notice that disclaimer.

I for one beleive you are not doing a service but a huge dis-service to the parks by pointing out these things.

I understand this is not what you beleive you are doing, but I think the end result is negative.

I beleive a letter to the company would be more effective than the public forum you use, which I believe is more to promote your books than to spur any real change at the parks.

JMHO.
    My record speaks for itself. I've been writing like this online since 1995 (Usenet) and 1997 (my own websites) and 2000 (the formation of MousePlanet, of which I was a founding member) and MiceAge (of which I was one of the first two columnists). The books have only been around since 2003.

It's been pretty clearly demonstrated that letters to the company do far less to accomplish change than shining a public light on the problems. What you describe might cause change if YOU were in charge (in which case, I wish you were!) but it doesn't really work with the guys who ARE in charge.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• I was deleted.

Ooo.. that can SO be done! I've done it in less (although I usually stay with friends) so good luck and have fun... EVERYONE!

• Still wants to be a cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    $600 total ?

10 nights + flight + food + Park tickets (maybe) for $600

What are you doing, taking the bus and sleeping in a tent? And really, a tent is not that cheap anymore - Its something I have considered doing

-dave
    She's a DLR CM.....that should explain things.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Circle of Ancients

I would NEVER let any negative comments from other people dissuade me from doing anything. Whether it was going on a trip or an opinion on a new type of soda.

As for Kevin's articles, I do appreciate them. And I do see where he is coming from, but again, it doesn't make me NOT want to go. Which I think is the point Kevin is/was trying to make.

Basically if you go ANYWHERE and look for things wrong, you will find them. If you don't, then you won't see them usually.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Pacha, Pacha, Pacha!

Don't let the critics get you down! Look at this way, we LOVE these parks. Probably more than the bigwigs who work there for pay; waaaaaay more than the average Joe. And we want the best of every single bloody aspect of WDW/DL, all things Disney.

So what sounds like 'negative' can actually be a positive--I think of it as people being creative with their expressions of said love of all things Disney.

Go to WDW and celebrate! You have your family and every reason to be happy and smile at every thing.

I think it was the great Elenor Roosevelt who said, "no one walks over you without your permission."

Don't let US, for I'm sure I've said things too, hold you back!

Peace out,
    The Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Minion

Thanks for the comments everyone! Definitely looking forward to our trip and to meeting Micechatters there. Even got lunch reservations at Cinderella's Royal Table scheduled with less than 180 days to go. Whoohoo! So, yeah, definitely looking forward to this trip.

Regarding my comments about almost not going, I think the DbD articles do have a positive effect at times - maybe not on desire to travel there, but on the actual parks themselves. Like the article some time ago about the filthy state of the TTA, for example. I don't believe it's any coincidence that the TTA received a major cleaning just a few months (or was it weeks) after that article was published. In that sense, I certainly don't mind constructive criticism that leads to positive things; especially if it seems to be the only way to reach Disney management, and especially when it's balanced by a positive article about something good being done by Disney.

What really puts me off more than the DbD articles, are the posts on Micechat where someone asks an innocent question like, "Which attraction/ride/restaurant do you prefer at WDW, X or Y?" and they'll get a response sort of like "Neither. X and Y both suck! The one at [overseas Disney resort] is so much better! In fact, pretty much everything at WDW just totally sucks compared to..."

Anyone else notice stuff like this? Does stuff like that ever bug anyone else here? Am I just being a dork for letting stuff like that bug me?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999 View Post
    She's a DLR CM.....that should explain things.
    Still, that's CHEAP, even for a CM, when you're talking flight cost, food, hotel stay etc.

• Minion

Blog Entries

my flight is only going to $65 roundtrip because I am flying on Flyer points so I just have to pay taxes... So after hotel, air fair and tickets... that still leaves me with $350 for food and a few souveniers... And I am staying at the All Star Music...
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast