Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Why can't you tune a fish

Re: Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

Somehow I missed your response, an now I just found it.

Just some comments (because I love this sort of stuff, real business and economic drivers for the reasons businesses make the deicisions they do)

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Dave, I agree with so much of what you are saying here ... but I don't want to turn the thread completely into one about economics and politics in our fair nation. Instead, I'll just focus on your points that directly involve Disney ...

It can be tough to produce quality and keep Wall Street happy, no doubt.

But it's possible. Disney did it for decades. Pixar did it for its entire history. Many companies can do so.

But it requires leadership ... visionary leadership that understands its products and its audience and the value of the name (or as the idiots that have turned Disney into something less than call it 'the brand'). And leadership that won't sell its soul for a quick payday (see Disney cheapquels).

Disney's product has always been umatched creative content be it in animation, theme parks, resorts etc ...that changed starting around 1995.
    It became all about leveraging the Disney name to make as much as possible regardless of quality. And it still didn't impress Wall Street as when Disney reached a nadir in quality in many business units over the past decade, Wall Street didn't push the stock higher to greenstamp the quality cuts with a higher per share price.

Now, with folks like John Lasseter around, there's some justified hope.

The problem is it has become harder and harder to produce quality and keep Wall Street happy since Dinsey was "born". Yes, it still can be done, but in order to do so you need some serious leaders. Leaders that not only have the vision to do so, but also the charisma to convince others that they are right. Wall Stree wants immediate results - trust me, I know this all to well, I get calls 3-4 times a week about metrics we report out to investors - convincing people to wait a bit until the plan comes to fruition takes a lot of skill. The world has really changed with both transportaion, purchasing patterns and power, and communications. It's funny to me, the way some people complain about the money that senior leaders make, yet when they get a cruddy leader they complain about it. There are precious few CEOs out there that have the combination of vision, intellect, ruthlessness, and at the same time, the ability to project a warm and fuzzy image. Paying them is how you get them on board.

But P&R still need to be cleaned out from the top down. I'd venture to say I'd dump half the execs Disney has worldwide right now. And WDI still has Imagineers with no clue as to what people go to Disney parks for, which is scary.
    Sometimes a house cleaning is what is needed.

Well, yeah Dave, they are crap execs ... but they are in power nonetheless.

I also don't feel unless it's an issue of safety (like those pesky monorails that aren't being maintained) it isn't the job of folks like us ... just fans ... to do free consulting for TWDC by offering them ways of improving their product and making more $$$.

I know how much some consultants get for ruining Disney's parks and resorts, and I'll be damned if I sit here on a site monitored by the Mouse and give them ideas for free.

If they want to hire me as a consultant (and get me off these boards), they know where I live (really!) Otherwise, I'll just point out the flaws until they do something about things themselves.
    [/quote]

The funny thing is, when you or I offer free adivce, they tend not to heed it. But let a consultant give them the same advice attached to a $25,000 price tag, and its taken as gospel.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• KING OF CABMF'S

Re: Booked a trip this Oct...and almost didn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post
    So that's that! Any Micechatters going to be at WDW Oct. 17-22?
    we're going for the halloween celebration (idk when we are going though) but sometime around that. i like that time of year because few people go to WDW because school just started and people are going to work, so few people visit this time of year.
    ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
    1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
    2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
    3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
    4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
    5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
    6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
    7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
    8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
    9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
    AND FINALLY...
    10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
    [:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234