Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spectromagic - New vs. Old?

Can anyone describe how Spectromagic was different before its hiatus and after. Specific questions:

-Did Roger Rabbit have the same lines the Genie says in the current version?
    -I've read online that the sebastian and jiminy cricket animatronics are new, what was there before them?

Any other changes or additions in the current version?

Thanks.

• Pyro Guy

Roger's lines and Genies lines are identical. Thats about the only change while it was down due to MSEP being here. Changes that have been made since it has returned has been Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather are separated and on a float of there own during the Sleeping Beauty segment. This change has also caused the loss of two dragon fly's. The fairies use to all be on the 2nd float and there was a dragonfly on the 1st and 3rd unit. In Fantasia segment the Ben Ali Gator statue use to spin a hippo on his finger. Now that has been replaced with a mirror ball and the single Ostrich that rode on that float was replaced by a character hippo.

Interesting, the spinning hippo seems like a cool image...I wonder if they cut it for technical or creative reasons?

• Minion

ORDDU: Well, my sisters and I can answer THAT question, RZS, duckling. One evening in the Spring of 2005--just before the Fantasia Float was to go out on its usual route--the figure of Hyacinth Hippo came crashing down to the ground. Instead of trying to re-attach the poor dear, management elected to put a simple disco ball on Ben Ali-gator's finger tip. It's hard to say if they'll EVER go back to letting him balance a hippo again...

Sad...

• Banned User

SpetroMagic needs to go. The whole thing is as outdated as a 1992 Ford. Time to bring up "Dreamlights" or some worthy new succesor.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    SpetroMagic needs to go. The whole thing is as outdated as a 1992 Ford. Time to bring up "Dreamlights" or some worthy new succesor.

You sure about that.. does WDW need it.. or DL????

WDW could simply add units to the parade and replace older units... like what MSEP "used" to do...

• The one, the only...

I agree. I was so disappointed when I saw this parade the first time. It only gets worse thereafter. Disney can do SO much better than this lame parade. The music sucks and the special effects are ordinary. (Imagine, colored lights become white! I am sure that every child wants all the colors of the world to disappear and become a boring white!) Technical "tricks" do not make a great parade. It has to have "heart." I want to be tapping my toes like the music of the Electrical parade. I want to feel the elegance of Cinderella all in lights or feel the swell with pride of the shimming America Flag. I want to do "ooh's and "ahhh's" when the floats go past because of beauty and imagination not tricks. Disney can do MUCH better.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    You sure about that.. does WDW need it.. or DL????

WDW could simply add units to the parade and replace older units... like what MSEP "used" to do...
    Yes, I am very sure of that. At the very least..it should be sent to HKDL, but why continue to short-change that puny little park??

Replacing older units and adding new ones will only make the parade more un-even. I am telling you...it needs to go. All you have to do is watch TDL's Dreamlights, and how greatly integrated the lights move to the music to make you understand how badly outdated Spectro is. Even Fantillusion (ex-TDL now at DLP) looks better than this mess. Go here for Dreamlights video, albeit... video does not do justice to the product:
    http://www.barrybedford.com/index3.html

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    The music sucks and the special effects are ordinary... I want to be tapping my toes like the music of the Electrical parade.
    I rather enjoy the music of Spectro*Magic. I grew up listening to a piano (and instrumental) version of it on cassette tape that had music from Walt Disney World on it. I really do enjoy the music to this parade. I like it better than the MSEP's score, even though I do love the MSEP's music. I think it is because there are so many great musical themes in there. From the title song, to Once Upon a Dream, to Tocatta and Fugue (for the Villains' part of the parade). I look for certain things and characters in Disney's parades. I love both parades, but they are far different, they both tell a different story, and have a different theme, therefore I think that the music shouldn't be compared. That's just mho however.

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

Hey, now! My Mustang is a '92, and the only real outdated thing about her is that she doesn't have a drink holder! :P
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

Quote Originally Posted by Labuda
    Hey, now! My Mustang is a '92, and the only real outdated thing about her is that she doesn't have a drink holder! :P
    Hey Iggy, I had a '92 Mustang too ... of course, I got rid of it in '94!

And, on the main subject, I would LOVE to see a new nighttime parade at the MK. SpectroMagic isn't bad, even now but it ain't the MSEP either.

But since Wishes was added two years ago, I doubt Disney will even think about replacing Spectro for at least another 6-7 years.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities
    Yeah I always wondered about the "changes" myself ( I loved the old parade, I love the new parade, it should never go away).
    Roger Rabbit & Genie (the real noticeable change) have the same lines. There were a few charecter changes, but see the rain version of the parade sometime and you'd never notice that as many of htose charecters (Flora, Merryweather, Hippos, Ostriches) don't come out.

• Circle of Ancients

Speaking of cars, we had a '93 Ford Tempo. It went kaput last year with over 150,000 miles.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    I'm gonna watch dream lights, is it good?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast