Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Why can't you tune a fish

Re: Phil Holmes Took My Advice ...

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    That really is a bad picture.

Oh lord yes.

Forget all the other arguments. But this just amazes me. And I see it in LOTS of places. With the company I work for, with organizations I belong to, and with other companies.

Your "high ranking" people should all have a portfolio of shots that can be used. And when the situation requires an on-site photo, take 100 and approve the best ones.

That just really is a bad bad photo to use.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Keyvil Doctor

Photo reminded me of Ron White at the end of a scotch soaked set. His evil twin perhaps? Naah, then at least he would have something enlightening to say.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Terrible photo aside, this article is boring. And maybe its just the Disneyland local in me speaking, but whats with the implications that this was Walt's park? If anything, this park is Roy's park.

"Is there still a lot of Walt Disney in this park?"

Seriously? Give me a break.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post
    Uh, forgive my ignorance here...

Besides looking like he got a dental job from the Mack Truck Company, and giving a lame interview totally lacking any substance, what's so terrible about this guy?
    Well, I don't feel like repeating everything I've written a zillion times but the man has done his best job to destroy the MK.

He's a a little corporate weasel that needs to go ... he never should have been placed into the job to begin with.

Under his control (I will not dignify him by using the word 'leadership') things like cleanliness, upkeep, show quality, entertainment, merchandise and food quality have all gone down ... other than that, the man's done a great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Oh lord yes.

Forget all the other arguments. But this just amazes me. And I see it in LOTS of places. With the company I work for, with organizations I belong to, and with other companies.

Your "high ranking" people should all have a portfolio of shots that can be used. And when the situation requires an on-site photo, take 100 and approve the best ones.

That just really is a bad bad photo to use.

-dave
    Of course you make perfect sense, Dave.

But did it occur to you that maybe they actually thought this was a good photo?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Well, I don't feel like repeating everything I've written a zillion times but the man has done his best job to destroy the MK.

He's a a little corporate weasel that needs to go ... he never should have been placed into the job to begin with.

Under his control (I will not dignify him by using the word 'leadership') things like cleanliness, upkeep, show quality, entertainment, merchandise and food quality have all gone down ... other than that, the man's done a great job!
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up! So, there's definitely a direct correlation between when he took control and the decline of MK? When did he take the helm there? Not doubting anyone here, just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Terrible photo aside, this article is boring. And maybe its just the Disneyland local in me speaking, but whats with the implications that this was Walt's park? If anything, this park is Roy's park.

I have a problem with the question, but not the same as you.

I mean, Walt Disney's essence should be present in any Disney park, especially a MK. If you want to call DL 'Walt's' and the MK 'Roy's' ... what does that make TDL 'Ron Miller's' or 'Card Walker's' ... is DLP 'Michael Eisner's ... or Frank Wells' ... is HKDL 'Paul Pressler's' ?

OK, assuming that point makes sense ... my problem with the question is the fact that Phil has systematically done so much to lower and destroy Walt's standards and legacy in the park he is VP over that it is amazing that a supposedly unbiased (and I don't believe this for a second, again I'm sure this story was 'placed') reporter would even ask such a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up! So, there's definitely a direct correlation between when he took control and the decline of MK? When did he take the helm there? Not doubting anyone here, just curious...
    The early part of this decade ... when Erin Wallace, who's doing a great job of WalMarting WDW on a larger scale as Sr. VP of Ops of the entire resort, was promoted out of her job as MK VP ...

I want to say 2001 or '02, but I'd have to check.

well about the picture all of his look that why. They change the pictures of the leadership team for the seasons and events, and all of phil's photo look bad. i guss he can take a good picture.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    I will agree that not enough guests do this. In slowing down their paces, guests are going back to the way Walt designed the park to be enjoyed. That was the point of the ticket books - to enjoy the atmopshere and your experience with your family and friends.

Someone gets it

bold in quote bolded by me.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Closed Account

Considering they are selling that merch. collection of Walt on DL's Mainstreet w/ an animated Mickey and print that says
    "Walt Disney'S
    Magic Kingdom", i wouldnt put it pass them to co-opt MK as a park that Walk walked in.

• Banned User

I would say that aside from Disneyland, Magic Kingdom is the park that got hit the most from the Eisner/Pressler/Harris era. In addition to upkeep and quality alot of the little things that made MK a great park are gone. For example:

-The Rivers of America used to have ALOT more life on them just as much as Disneyland's. There used to be Canoes and keelboats in addition to the Steamboat (I think there used to be two of those as well) and the rafts. Now the river looks kind of barren with just the Steamboat occasionally making the rounds. It used to be more populated looking.

-Tomorrowland used to have a very cohesive theme after the 1994 redo. They even found a way to fit Buzz Lightyear into the land. However in recent years the theme has been totally thrown out the window to make way for marketing schemes to sell more cartoon dvd's so they replaced Alien Encounter (a great ride) with stitch (The worst attraction in that park's history) and they replaced Timekeeper with monsters inc. another poor attraction. I agree that Timekeeper and Alien Encounter were getting stale...but replacing them with lame poorly conceieved cartoon tie-ins was not the answer. Shame

- Alot of attractions were removed just to cut costs...20,000 Leagues under the sea and skyway. This was bad because the park lost capacity and lines started building up on other attractions. if the skyway and 20k were to return you would see a better balance of crowds which would be beter from both an ops and guest standpoint.

-Pooh's playground...NUFF SAID

Today, Magic Kingdom has become the stronghold of everything wrong with Disney. A mediocre park overseen by mediocre people (jay rasolu, tom fitzgerald, phil holmes). Whereas Disneyland is quickly turning into an example of what's being done right at Disney...the magic kingdom is an example of all that is wrong...the walmarting of the Walt Disney company.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

20k and Skyway didn't help with the crowds much. You have the right idea Ghostbuster626, but your logic is flawed. The reasons behind your ideas aren't quite right. For example, MK never had two steamboats, and the Canoes... well, they were gone long before Pressler. Gotta go back to the 80s to find them.

MK never was a good of a park as Disneyland. But it sure felt like something unique. Today, that uniqueness is gone.
    -Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    20k and Skyway didn't help with the crowds much. You have the right idea Ghostbuster626, but your logic is flawed. The reasons behind your ideas aren't quite right. For example, MK never had two steamboats, and the Canoes... well, they were gone long before Pressler. Gotta go back to the 80s to find them.

MK never was a good of a park as Disneyland. But it sure felt like something unique. Today, that uniqueness is gone.

Young Bill, you need to check your history.

The MK did indeed have two sternwheelers in the 1970s ... the Richard Irvine and the Joe Fowler. The latter was destroyed beyond repair in a drydock accident in the early 1980s and the former became known as the Liberty Belle.

I'm not sure when the canoes officially disappeared. They were around in the late 80s, I'm sure. I think they were around into the early 90s seasonally ... but can't say for certainty.

As to the MK never being as good as DL, well, that's subjective. I thought the MK was great for its first 20-25 years. It's been downhill since. I feel really bad that people your age never saw the MK at its best ... it was a vastly different experience than the WalMarted Phil Holmes/Erin Wallace/Al Weiss special we have today.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Very interesting... Richard F. Irvine I knew about. I could have sworn the Joe Fowler was a ferry on the Seven Seas Lagoon, but maybe I am mistaken.
    -Bill

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast