Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Phil Holmes Took My Advice ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Very interesting... Richard F. Irvine I knew about. I could have sworn the Joe Fowler was a ferry on the Seven Seas Lagoon, but maybe I am mistaken.
    Two of the ferry's on Seven Seas Lagoon were renamed the "Richard F. Irvine" and "Joe Fowler" as a homage to the old Magic Kindgom ships.

Also you are wrong about the canoes...they were switched to "seasonal status" in the mid 90s and then phased out from there. The keelboats ran untill 1999 when they were removed because they were an "unnecessary cost" just like the subs and the skyway.

I'm not buying that the Subs never soaked up the crowds...Disneyland's always had a good amount of people waiting in line and now that its reopened it has 2-3 hour wait times! Wether the subs were before or not, they are now in the same league as Splash Mountain and Space Mountain in terms of popularity with guests.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post

I'm not sure when the canoes officially disappeared. They were around in the late 80s, I'm sure. I think they were around into the early 90s seasonally ... but can't say for certainty.
    They certainly were- I rode them in the mid-90s!!!

Anyway, how long has Holmes been in place at the Magic Kingdom? Because I think that many of us MK 'old-timers' agree that the first dramatic downshift in quality at WDW was in the mid to late 90s. I am wondering if he's been in the job since then... and if not, who was the head of WDW, and the MK, at that time?

• Were you there?

Not to mention Phil and a few of his back stabbing cronies, ran off all of the good area managers at MK that actually cared about the place. These people were actually despised because they knew/cared too much about the place and weren't afraid to speak out about its decline.

Now the place is left to rot with Phil and all the idiots that can tolerate his mediocracy.

A few of the good ones are now at Epcot...

Of course Epcot has its own set of yahoos, they're just not quite as vile as the ones currently sitting in the MK exec offices.

There is hope though. The minute Phil is gone the good ones that left will flock back to the place.

BT
    22 is NOT my age (unfortunately)...

Quote Originally Posted by Nom View Post
    They certainly were- I rode them in the mid-90s!!!
    Thanks for clearing that up. I kinda though they were around seasonally into the 90s!

Quote Originally Posted by Nom View Post
    Anyway, how long has Holmes been in place at the Magic Kingdom? Because I think that many of us MK 'old-timers' agree that the first dramatic downshift in quality at WDW was in the mid to late 90s. I am wondering if he's been in the job since then... and if not, who was the head of WDW, and the MK, at that time?
    Holmes took over in either 2001 or 2002.

But the decline started way before that. Erin Wallace, current Sr. VP of Ops for all of WDW (and she basically runs the place daily, not figurehead Inoverherheadmeg, was his predecessor and she started the marked decline.

They both need to leave the company and go work for WalMart where they'll fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by btwnguy_22 View Post
    Not to mention Phil and a few of his back stabbing cronies, ran off all of the good area managers at MK that actually cared about the place. These people were actually despised because they knew/cared too much about the place and weren't afraid to speak out about its decline.

Now the place is left to rot with Phil and all the idiots that can tolerate his mediocracy.
    Someone should send an editorial to the Sentinel about that, but I;m sure folks fear for their jobs with good reason (the few left anyway).

I just look at that photo and it sums up everything wrong with WDW today.

I just say 'THAT is what they consider worthy to manage the No. 1 theme park in the world?!?!'

Quote Originally Posted by btwnguy_22 View Post
    A few of the good ones are now at Epcot...

Of course Epcot has its own set of yahoos, they're just not quite as vile as the ones currently sitting in the MK exec offices.

There is hope though. The minute Phil is gone the good ones that left will flock back to the place.

BT
    I hope that's true.

I just want the weasel gone.

For someone like him to talk about Walt makes me want to vomit!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Two of the ferry's on Seven Seas Lagoon were renamed the "Richard F. Irvine" and "Joe Fowler" as a homage to the old Magic Kindgom ships.

Also you are wrong about the canoes...they were switched to "seasonal status" in the mid 90s and then phased out from there. The keelboats ran untill 1999 when they were removed because they were an "unnecessary cost" just like the subs and the skyway.

I'm not buying that the Subs never soaked up the crowds...Disneyland's always had a good amount of people waiting in line and now that its reopened it has 2-3 hour wait times! Wether the subs were before or not, they are now in the same league as Splash Mountain and Space Mountain in terms of popularity with guests.
    Well, I stand corrected. Even us perfect people make mistakes once in a while! You can do your dance now. lol

But the canoes were seasonal... that makes sense. That's why they haven't been on the maps since the mid 80's. Even this 1986 map doesn't have them!

Thanks for the corrections!
    -Bill

As to the MK never being as good as DL, well, that's subjective. I thought the MK was great for its first 20-25 years. It's been downhill since. I feel really bad that people your age never saw the MK at its best ... it was a vastly different experience than the WalMarted Phil Holmes/Erin Wallace/Al Weiss special we have today.
    Of course if this was WDWMagic, this is the point in the thread were you would be flamed for being a nostalgic fanboy and that MK is just as great now as it was back then which is total crap. I have been going to WDW since 1985 and remember how great MK used to be. Remember when the used to point out that they would start at one end of Main Street and repaint the whole thing and when they reached the end they would start over again. Or that they would change light bulbs before they would burn out. I know I am not the only one who remembers those days.
    Now we have the windmill on TSI that has been damaged for what over a year now. They finally started cleaning the cobwebs off of various spots on TTA that had been there for awhile. Phil and the rest of mgmt. at WDW that only cares about the bottom line and not the quality of show need to go. I really hope now that there seems to be a plan in place for fixing the problems at the DL resort(aka DCA) and that WDI is going to assign specific imagineers to oversee the develop of specific parks that Lasseter and Iger are going to take a hard look at WDW and fix the problems. But I don't know if that is gonna happen until Jay Rasulo is shown the door.

Is the polyester sport coat standard Disney issue?
    MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by photogbs View Post
    I really hope now that there seems to be a plan in place for fixing the problems at the DL resort(aka DCA) and that WDI is going to assign specific imagineers to oversee the develop of specific parks that Lasseter and Iger are going to take a hard look at WDW and fix the problems. But I don't know if that is gonna happen until Jay Rasulo is shown the door.
    No one is going to take a long hard look at WDW until revenue drops unfortuantly. This is what I recommend to all fans, if you want Disney to fix things at WDW then you all need to start spending less and less when you go and avoid Magic Kingdom at all costs. Go to Animal Kingdom instead. Once attendance starts droping tahts when Disney will start getting serious about stuff. They need a good kick in the pants to get going.

Of course if this was WDWMagic, this is the point in the thread were you would be flamed for being a nostalgic fanboy and that MK is just as great now as it was back then which is total crap.

Of course it is.

And THEY know it (they being management not the posters at that other website).

Phil Holmes got his start working at Mansion. In all of his sucking up to get to the top, he must have forgotten what show quality was all about. Either that or he just hadn't been on/near the Mansion in the past decade.

If you want to say 'Money is the absolutely, abject only thing that matters today' and run the place that way, that's one thing. But to LIE blatantly to guests, cast and media about how things have never been better and we do things better now than ever etc ... it's just total corporate BS worthy of WalMart.

As to that other site, which I never visit, I hear I've been a lightning rod for controversy there ... I like that. Please remind the kids over there that the wand over SSE is coming down.

I have been going to WDW since 1985 and remember how great MK used to be. Remember when the used to point out that they would start at one end of Main Street and repaint the whole thing and when they reached the end they would start over again. Or that they would change light bulbs before they would burn out. I know I am not the only one who remembers those days.
    No, you aren't the only one. Plenty of us exist, although many either don't visit as often or at all or if they were employed by Disney have left the company rather than watch it be dumbed down.

Frankly, though, management (or most of it) would sooner we drop dead or at least visit other places instead of WDW because they don't want to be held to their own standards.

Pity the company was based on providing the best in family entertainment since 1928 ... and that WDW was the absolute best family vacation destination for a quarter of a century. That makes it so much tougher to do what Phil's been doing.

Now we have the windmill on TSI that has been damaged for what over a year now. They finally started cleaning the cobwebs off of various spots on TTA that had been there for awhile. Phil and the rest of mgmt. at WDW that only cares about the bottom line and not the quality of show need to go. I really hope now that there seems to be a plan in place for fixing the problems at the DL resort(aka DCA) and that WDI is going to assign specific imagineers to oversee the develop of specific parks that Lasseter and Iger are going to take a hard look at WDW and fix the problems. But I don't know if that is gonna happen until Jay Rasulo is shown the door.
    Well, Jay needs to leave for true change to occur ... at least outside Anaheim where John Lasseter is going to get his way if that means going over, under or through Jay.

But JR also established a vast network of puppet execs, like Phil, who have sold their souls (if they had them) for their position, a decent week's pay, a company Escalade and some major stock. They are like weeds all over the world.

I don't even know what the answer is beyond getting JR out and getting someone who actually loves and appreciates the parks, the cast and the guests into the job and then go from there.

• Banned User

As to that other site, which I never visit, I hear I've been a lightning rod for controversy there ... I like that. Please remind the kids over there that the wand over SSE is coming down.
    I try my best!

Ironically, one of the guys who helped get the Wand built in the first place influences the posters on that website and insists the wand is not coming anytime soon. He has also brainwashed the people there into thinking that John Lasseter and Steve Jobs are greedy and are only interested in downsizing imagineering and stiffling creativity and "stuffing their own pockets" but on the other side he says that Eisner was a visionary who deeply cared about imagineering and that his direction for the company was a good one LOL. Its like Bizaro world over there. They think people like Al Lutz are full of it but insist that the guy who put up the wand is a real "in the know" source.

626 ... are you saying Eric Jacobson is posting on the other site?

I find that shocking in the current political climate at WDI.

• Banned User

626 ... are you saying Eric Jacobson is posting on the other site?

I find that shocking in the current political climate at WDI.
    not jacobson...It's a lower level Imagineer who "left" the company a few years ago.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    not jacobson...It's a lower level Imagineer who "left" the company a few years ago.
    Would his name rhyme with Morris by chance?
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    Would his name rhyme with Morris by chance?
    why yes...yes it would..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast