Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• If We Can Dream It...

Post Maybe the MK should rethink it's priorities...

All over the internet, there's reports of how MK is still not running at 100%. Paints chipping, wood's rotting, bird poop is piling up, trash cans are overflowing, etc.

Of course, even with all these problems, MK still feels the need to invest in a new attraction about every year. I feel that MK should just stop all together with new attractions at least, until they can get back on stable ground. I mean, did we really need The Magic Carpets? All they did was clog up AL. Did we really need Stitch? All that did was make a scary (for disney) attraction a character-oriented scary attraction. Did we really need Monsters Inc Laugh Floor? I think everyone can answer that. The only exception I can think of is PhilharMagic. That's probably the only posistive new attraction in the last 7 years to be added to the MK.

How about MK invest that same money, that they would put towards another C-ticket attraction, into what they already got? Maybe then MK could actually have at least half of its attractions up to par with the rest of the Disney(land) universe.

I know there's already planned refurbs for some of the attractions, HM is in the middle of it's right now with the Jungle Cruise and Space Mountain coming eventually. But, what about CBJ? What about the Speedway? What about Peter Pan? What about all of toontown? What about The Tiki Room? Heck, what about the railroad?

I want to hear what everyone else thinks! Am I alone on this? How do you feel the MK should invest in its attractions?
    Last edited by horizonsfan92; 07-11-2007 at 05:33 AM. Reason: people puting their mind in the gutter
    - Horizonsfan

• Minion

Re: Maybe the MK should rethink it's priorities...

Ideally, it would be nice to have the best of both worlds - a clean park that gets regular updates. Given how much money WDW makes, both should be doable.

• If We Can Dream It...

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post
    Ideally, it would be nice to have the best of both worlds - a clean park that gets regular updates. Given how much money WDW makes, both should be doable.
    Ideally, totally, that would be great. Ideally, MK would opperate just as good or better than DL or TDL. Ideally, MK would have far more attractions than any other DL park due to its size. Realistically, not gonna happen. . I was just trying to think in realistic (with current MK management) terms. Realistically, MK attendance = huge bonus each year in the eyes of management.

Talk about a buzzkill...
    - Horizonsfan

Blog Entries

That's exactly what Iger has said is the plan for the next few years. Instead of building new parks and major rides the parks will either be fixing up what is already there and bringing it up to standard, or in the case of places like MGM, expanding on the park to bring it up to standard.

I don't think anything is currently in any sort of greenlit stage right now in MK aside from the refurbs. I do wish they'd fix the other issues you mentioned but that is far more of a management issue than a money issue. It wouldn't cost very much at all to pick up trash, clean gum off of railings, or use some new paint. Just someone to notice and care.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    That's exactly what Iger has said is the plan for the next few years. Instead of building new parks and major rides the parks will either be fixing up what is already there and bringing it up to standard, or in the case of places like MGM, expanding on the park to bring it up to standard.

I don't think anything is currently in any sort of greenlit stage right now in MK aside from the refurbs. I do wish they'd fix the other issues you mentioned but that is far more of a management issue than a money issue. It wouldn't cost very much at all to pick up trash, clean gum off of railings, or use some new paint. Just someone to notice and care.
    Well, that is good news...if it does happen.

• If We Can Dream It...

I'll wait and see, I seem to remember him saying saying that and then a little while later, they announced MILF. I'm not saying I don't trust you, just skeptical in general. Plus, I wasn't talking about major rides, I was talking more about how the MK feels the need to add a B-C ticket every couple of years. (I would say that MK hasn't gotten a major ride in over a decade.)
    - Horizonsfan

• Minion

Well the problem about these "new attractions" is that they are very minor additions. Disney should make the place 100% clean and these attractions that have been recently added aren't an excuse. There is no way that the world's biggest vacation destination can use the excuse of "we are having trouble with maintaince because we keep adding downright crappy to middle of the road attractions." Any additional attraction isn't an excuse for a not perfectly cleaned and maintained park, but these recent attractions only add insult to injury.

• back to WDW in January

There are definite signs that improvements are being made to the existing environment and maintenance seems to have moved up the list of priorities but it does have a long way to go.
    Much of the Disney effort as of late has been afforded to the Pixar side of the house (Monsters at WDW Tomorrowland and DCA, Nemo at AK, Nemo at DL, Nemo at Epcot, Cars and Nemo at DLP, etc.) which apparently hasn't sat very well with some of the mouse side folks - see the article link below.
    In any event, as a poster stated earlier, Bob Iger has said that he will continue to improve the existing situation and hopefully that will indeed prove true.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...officials.aspx

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by horizonsfan92 View Post
    All over the internet, there's reports of how MK is still not running at 100%. Paints chipping, wood's rotting, bird poop is piling up, trash cans are overflowing, etc.

Of course, even with all these problems, MK still feels the need to invest in a new attraction about every year. I feel that MK should just stop all together with new attractions at least, until they can get back on stable ground. I mean, did we really need The Magic Carpets? All they did was clog up AL. Did we really need Stitch? All that did was make a scary (for disney) attraction a character-oriented scary attraction. Did we really need MILF? I think everyone can answer that. The only exception I can think of is PhilharMagic. That's probably the only posistive new attraction in the last 7 years to be added to the MK.

How about MK invest that same money, that they would put towards another C-ticket attraction, into what they already got? Maybe then MK could actually have at least half of its attractions up to par with the rest of the Disney(land) universe.

I know there's already planned refurbs for some of the attractions, HM is in the middle of it's right now with the Jungle Cruise and Space Mountain coming eventually. But, what about CBJ? What about the Speedway? What about Peter Pan? What about all of toontown? What about The Tiki Room? Heck, what about the railroad?

I want to hear what everyone else thinks! Am I alone on this? How do you feel the MK should invest in its attractions?

I agree with you, but it's just salt in the wound when MK is not running 100% on the exterior when the attractions being put in are also second-rate. It's the worst of both worlds!

I think if MK was getting some stronger attractions, the feeling of MK being disappointing would go away.

And absolutely MK did NOT need the magic carpets. There's a great concept for a family e-ticket where you can go ANYWHERE and yet.. you're goiong in circles while being spit on by camels. Where's the creativity?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Pilot EdForceOne

All this 'clean' stuff is totally blown out of proportion.

After spending the last 3 days in DLR.. I can say that park has just as many problems

- lighting out (main street)
    - show elements not working (indy)
    - trash in queues (everywhere)
    - trash in RIDE VEHICLES!! (lots)
    - worn paint that needs replacing
    - graffiti that needs cleaning up
    - cracked pavement/potholes
    - trash on ground or in waterways
    - noisey AAs

Honestly.. the story of MK being so dilapidated are grossly exagerated. Very few of these elements are at the level they distract guests (sans the trash and queue paint/graffiti stuff I saw in DLR). I was looking for this in MK in March.. and really couldn't see much. Chipped stuff in the treehouse, a water bottle in the jungle cruise water, and dirty air vents on ceilings were the things that stood out. In DLR... I just stopped taking photos after a while. But few of these problems are at 'danger danger!' levels.. they just exist.

TDLFAN's comments about 3 light bulbs being out.. etc.. bleh. I stopped counting after the 3rd building or so on mainstreet (but I have photos of it all) and DCA was even worse.

What I found is MK's issue is it's stale - it needs to focus on having attractions at 100% operating, and updating/modernizing those that need it. Most of MK remains 'cute' because its nostaglic... rather then being outright entertaining on its own merit to newbies.

I don't mourn the lost of painted cardboard rides like Mr. Toad.. where there are much greater possibilities for dark rides. If MK focused on some modernization, and possibly one new major draw over the next 5 years they would be great.

They need to stop relying on nostalgia to entertain and get back to innovating and making people smile.

Fantasy is what Disney does best (vs realism) and that makes the MK the perfect fit to be the crown jewel.

• Minion

flynnibus, you are scaring the crap out of me. Please tell me that Pressler hasn't returned from the grave. Please.

During my last visit the MK did feel very stale and out dated. So did Epcot it was the worst of them all. I was at Disneyland last month and they did update a lot of rides and the place is still fun. Also you don't have to look that hard to see the MK and Disneyland have the same trash problems like TDLFAN likes to point out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post
    The problem is ... or one of the many problems is even after Disney does rehab something, they don't maintain it. It falls into disrepair almost immediately.

Take a look at Small World, which was lovingly redone just two years ago.See how many effects aren't working, how much stuff is floating in the water, how dirty the boats are etc ...

Take a look at any resort that gets redone ... before they finish all the floors, one of the new ones will have stained, dirty hallways, wood chunks out of doors, lines on walls from maid carts etc ...

Disney invests plenty of money when they renovate or refurb, but they don't invest one penny to make things stay looking great.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    flynnibus, you are scaring the crap out of me. Please tell me that Pressler hasn't returned from the grave. Please.
    I have spent many days at DL this year ... I think I've been there every month except for this one ... and I have never seen things there remotely as bad as what I routinely see at the MK ... and believe me, I'm looking at all the details.

Now, we all know things change on an hourly basis ... maybe I've just had great luck ... like I've never seen DLP filthy on three visits in the past year despite what my good pal TDLFAN has said (and I believe) about conditions there.

I'm sure there are days when DL isn't in tip-top shape. When trash remains. When effects aren't operational. When lightbulbs are out.

But, overall?

It's been years since I've seen DL look like the MK looks on a daily basis.

• I meant to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    All this 'clean' stuff is totally blown out of proportion.

After spending the last 3 days in DLR.. I can say that park has just as many problems

- lighting out (main street)
    - show elements not working (indy)
    - trash in queues (everywhere)
    - trash in RIDE VEHICLES!! (lots)
    - worn paint that needs replacing
    - graffiti that needs cleaning up
    - cracked pavement/potholes
    - trash on ground or in waterways
    - noisey AAs

Honestly.. the story of MK being so dilapidated are grossly exagerated.
    Great point. As a DLR regular, reading all this hate on MK made me anticipate the worst for my first MK trip last week.
    I found the park condition to be close to the same level as DLR.
    Those low expectations made for a much more enjoyable trip.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast