Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3

    Magic Your Way / Dining Question

    Our family is going to WDW July 10-19. We will be staying at the Grande Lakes Marriott for the first three nights and the Wilderness Lodge for the next six. We are combining a business trip with a vacation. While my wife is in her meetings, the girls and I will be doing a variety of things, including visiting the Disney parks. I wanted to buy 10 day tickets to cover our whole stay, but the computer is giving me grief because I am trying to buy tickets outside the range of dates for our Wilderness Lodge reservation. Would I be better to do this over the phone, or is this not possible? Do they really care where we stay if I'm buying tickets? Also, can we buy Disney Dining Packages for just a portion of our stay (the part where we are on property)? Here too the computer is freaking out. Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. #2

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    53,927
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Magic Your Way / Dining Question

    Personally, I never make Disney reservations over the Internet. You might want to call Disney instead. It might make it a lot easier. I find that the people I have talked to on my many vacations were very helpful

    From what I know of the Dining plan, you can have the Dining Plan for that portion of your vacation. You will just need to purchase park tickets for that portion of your stay.

    Again, I would call.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

  3. #3

    • Defying gravity
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,345

    Re: Magic Your Way / Dining Question

    Since you are staying off property, it is probably better....but more expensive...to just book things separately. Your tickets are linked to your room card. You will have to buy the DDP for the entire portion of your WDW stay. So tickets are you main problem here. Since you cannot get the DDP added onto a ticket when you are not staying at the resort, there is really no way that I see to book a complete package deal. Disney really does not like to see you stay off property!

  4. #4

    • Why can't you tune a fish
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NE New Jersey - Yeah thats the place
    Posts
    2,338

    Re: Magic Your Way / Dining Question

    Easy peasy

    Book your tickets for the length of your WL stay, complete with DDP.

    Then when you get to the parks, on your first day - BEFOER YOU GO IN THE PARK - go to guest relations and upgrade to a 10 day - you will get credit for the price you paid for your shorter tickets

    -dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

  5. #5

    • She was sweet as a peach
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in a pineapple way
    Posts
    1,246

    Re: Magic Your Way / Dining Question

    I second making reservations over the phone. It is easier to get what you want when you are talking to an actual person.

  6. #6

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    16

    Re: Magic Your Way / Dining Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Book your tickets for the length of your WL stay, complete with DDP.

    Then when you get to the parks, on your first day - BEFOER YOU GO IN THE PARK - go to guest relations and upgrade to a 10 day - you will get credit for the price you paid for your shorter tickets
    Unfortunately, if the tickets are purchased as part of a MYW package, and they must have at least a single day base ticket to get the DDP, they can't get their tickets until they checkin at the WL - and they are staying offsite for a few days before their WL stay - and will need tickets for those days....

  7. #7

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    178

    Lightbulb Please Read!!! Important Money-saving Info!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by DreamComeTrueJoe View Post
    Unfortunately, if the tickets are purchased as part of a MYW package, and they must have at least a single day base ticket to get the DDP, they can't get their tickets until they checkin at the WL - and they are staying offsite for a few days before their WL stay - and will need tickets for those days....
    EXACTLY.

    Tickets purchased as part of a package can't be accessed or used until the day of resort check-in.

    As mentioned, the DDP is automatically calculated by the number of NIGHTS you are staying at your Disney resort -- you can't buy extra days of dining OR fewer days of dining.

    In order to buy the DDP, you must also buy at least a 1-day park ticket for each person named on the reservation, as part of your package for that stay.

    So it looks like the least expensive route will be to book your WL package with a 1-day base ticket, and buy 9-day tickets separately from your Disney package. Anyone can buy Disney tickets for any reason, you don't need to have a resort reservation to do so. For tickets that are NOT part of a resort package deal, you can buy them over the phone, by website, at a Disney store ... it really doesn't matter where

    The 9-day base ticket will cost you $227.91 per adult, and the 1-day ticket (part of your package) will cost you $71.36 per adult. This way, the tickets for 10 days of park admissions will cost you a total of $299.27 per adult.

    If you buy the 7-day tickets with your package, a 7-day base ticket will cost you $223.85 per adult, and if you buy a 3-day base ticket for your time at the Marriott before you check in at your WDW resort, that 3-day base ticket will cost you $204.48. If you do it this way, the tickets for 10 days of park admissions will cost you a total of $428.33 per adult.

    As you can see, it will be about $129 CHEAPER to by the 9-day ticket separately, and then just buy the 1-day ticket as part of your WDW resort package.

    I know that it seems gross and expensive to see it itemized that you will pay $71.36 per adult for that 1-day ticket, but I hope you can follow the math, and realize that in the long run it's MUCH cheaper to buy the 9-day ticket on its own, and then book the 1-day ticket with the WDW package.

    If you have any questions, please post again.
    Last edited by CleveRocks; 06-26-2007 at 04:02 PM. Reason: stupid typos

  8. #8

    • Why can't you tune a fish
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NE New Jersey - Yeah thats the place
    Posts
    2,338

    Re: Magic Your Way / Dining Question

    Quote Originally Posted by DreamComeTrueJoe View Post
    Unfortunately, if the tickets are purchased as part of a MYW package, and they must have at least a single day base ticket to get the DDP, they can't get their tickets until they checkin at the WL - and they are staying offsite for a few days before their WL stay - and will need tickets for those days....

    Missed that. For some reason I though they were going to the WL FIRST and they staying off site.

    Yes, you are correct, they cannot get their MYW tickets until the check in.

    They will have to used a 9 and a 1 as discribed below, and will not be able to combine them

    Allthough ....... If you know you will be taking another trip to WDW sometime one solution is to get a 10 day and a 1 day MYW package to "activate" the DDP. Use the 10 day for park admission, and just hang on to the one day. Save it for the next time you go, and you can apply the price to a new multiday ticket.

    -dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

  9. #9

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    178

    Re: Magic Your Way / Dining Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    If you know you will be taking another trip to WDW sometime one solution is to get a 10 day and a 1 day MYW package to "activate" the DDP. Use the 10 day for park admission, and just hang on to the one day. Save it for the next time you go, and you can apply the price to a new multiday ticket.
    EXCELLENT IDEA! That's two dollars very well spent on that 10th day's ticket.

    EXCELLENT IDEA! The 1-day ticket will be bought with the dining/room package, but it doesn't have to be USED, just bought. And unused tickets are good FOREVER -- "expiring" tickets expire 14 days from first use, but Dave is suggesting that the 1-day ticket not be used during this trip, so therefore it will be good forever, until it is used.

    Wow, Dave, you really made up for that earlier oversight! :-)

  10. #10

    • Why can't you tune a fish
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NE New Jersey - Yeah thats the place
    Posts
    2,338

    Re: Magic Your Way / Dining Question

    Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    Wow, Dave, you really made up for that earlier oversight! :-)

    Sometimes I have my moments

    Thanks



    -dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

  11. #11

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3

    Re: Magic Your Way / Dining Question

    First, thanks for all of your help - it is well appreciated.

    Second, this might be a dumb question, but if I use the 10 day/1 day method you spoke of, do I need to get a 1 day for each of the four of us in addition to all of our 10 days? I am assuming so, but many of my assumptions so far have been mistaken as I get familiar with the "Disney Way." Thanks again.

  12. #12

    • Why can't you tune a fish
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NE New Jersey - Yeah thats the place
    Posts
    2,338

    Re: Magic Your Way / Dining Question

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog85 View Post
    First, thanks for all of your help - it is well appreciated.

    Second, this might be a dumb question, but if I use the 10 day/1 day method you spoke of, do I need to get a 1 day for each of the four of us in addition to all of our 10 days? I am assuming so, but many of my assumptions so far have been mistaken as I get familiar with the "Disney Way." Thanks again.

    yes, you need a package for all the people staying in the room. It does not have to be the same package (you can all have different ticket lengths) but each person in the room must have a MYW package

    -dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

  13. #13

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    178

    Re: Magic Your Way / Dining Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    yes, you need a package for all the people staying in the room. It does not have to be the same package (you can all have different ticket lengths) but each person in the room must have a MYW package

    -dave
    Well, at the end of the day this is correct, but you can't book it that way.

    When you get a package, each person named on the reservation in that room has to have the IDENTICAL package booked. This includes same number of park days for everyone. However, once you check in (in Disney-speak, once the reservation has been "exploded"), you can upgrade individals' tickets however you'd like, you just can't downgrade.

    For example, if Grandma is only going to one park one day, then book the package with a 1-day ticket for everyone. And then after you check in at your resort, at that point (or later) you can elect to upgrade the number of days on anyone's tickets ... can be three extra days for you, seven extra days for Crazy Uncle Ned, and so on.

  14. #14

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3

    Re: Magic Your Way / Dining Question

    Okay - here's some more information....

    I talked to the Disney people and relayed your advice - they said that indeed that is the best way to do it, so kudos to you all. My only problem is that if I get a 1 day ticket to unlock Disney Dining and an 8 or 9 day ticket to allow me to visit the parks before our Disney hotel stay begins, the 1-day will cost 257.00 for the 4 of us. This effectively adds 257.00 to the 767.76 that the Disney Dining Package will cost. As far as I know this is the cheapest way to get done what I am trying to get done. If I am wrong, let me know.

    My question now becomes whether Disney Dining is worth it for us (2 adults, an 8 and a 10 year old) with the extra cost. I guess I am wondering if $1010 for a six night stay is an advantage over buying meals ala carte. Thanks again for your help, I am impressed with your knowledge......

  15. #15

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    178

    Re: Magic Your Way / Dining Question

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog85 View Post
    Okay - here's some more information....

    I talked to the Disney people and relayed your advice - they said that indeed that is the best way to do it, so kudos to you all. My only problem is that if I get a 1 day ticket to unlock Disney Dining and an 8 or 9 day ticket to allow me to visit the parks before our Disney hotel stay begins, the 1-day will cost 257.00 for the 4 of us. This effectively adds 257.00 to the 767.76 that the Disney Dining Package will cost. As far as I know this is the cheapest way to get done what I am trying to get done. If I am wrong, let me know.

    My question now becomes whether Disney Dining is worth it for us (2 adults, an 8 and a 10 year old) with the extra cost. I guess I am wondering if $1010 for a six night stay is an advantage over buying meals ala carte. Thanks again for your help, I am impressed with your knowledge......
    Good question.

    My advice was all based on you buying the DDP. If you're now iffy about the DDP, I just can't see justifying spending the additional couple hundred dollars for the requisite tickets, as I just don't see how the DDP will save you $257 over paying out-of-pocket.

    Well, you just bought yourself a homework assignment. It might be fun or it might be drudgery, depends how you look at it.

    You assignment is to peruse the WDW menus at this link: http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm

    Try to get an idea of what meals you would eat on the DDP, and add up what the cost would be, including tax and tip. Write that number down. Then write down what the DDP will cost you. I forget how many nights you are staying, but it will cost you $38.99 per night for each of your 3 adults (a 10 year old pays adult prices at WDW) and $10.99 per night for your 8 year old, or a total of $128 per room night.

    So look at those two numbers. If your out-of-pocket costs are more than $257 above your DDP costs, then thr DDP is a good deal. But if the DDP saves you LESS than $257 compared with out-of-pocket, then ditch the DDP idea.

    Also, it's important to keep in mind, when figuring your out-of-pocket costs above, that the DDP isn't 3 meals a day! It's one table-service meal, one counter-service meal, and one snack per person per day. This will complicate things. In other words, don't calculate out-of-pocket as breakfast and kunch and dinner but then calculate the menu prices on DDP food based on only two meals a day. For the out-of-pocket number, use ONLY the 2 meals a day that you would use the DDP for, plus figure about $3 per person per day for the snack.

    Not easy, but possibly money-saving.
    Last edited by CleveRocks; 06-29-2007 at 04:28 AM. Reason: left out an important word

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Magic Your Way Deluxe Dining Plan-Is It Worth It?
    By MTdizzle94 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-17-2009, 06:02 PM
  2. [Question] Dining Question
    By Coastierox in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2009, 08:30 AM
  3. Dining Question
    By Pacha in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-14-2007, 10:36 AM
  4. magic your way/ dining
    By IloveWDW in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-15-2006, 10:54 PM
  5. Magic Your Way w/ Dining is it a good deal?
    By travman in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 04:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •