Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

Re: Help with what resort to choose and more!

I have stayed at AKL although I had a room not too far from the elevator so I didn't need to walk. It is a beautiful resort, fairly quiet with nice views of the animals. There is construction going on now and I do not know when it will end. The lobby is gorgeous and one of my favorite restaurants, Jiko, is there. The bus system was fine, I don't really believe the monorail is as huge of an asset as it used to be. One thing that might be of use to you is that AKL, like AK, does not allow straws on its property because of the animals. I don't know how important that would be to your children getting a drink.

Questions for you (or anyone who's stayed at AKL) that might be of interest to Alisha...

How's the walking at AKL versus other resorts? Judging by the resort map for AKL, it doesn't look all that spread out like some of the other resorts like CS or CBR, for example. Also, how's the bus service? Better and faster than average at AKL or about the same as other deluxe or moderate resorts?

One of the big reasons we chose Poly over AKL was because of the monorail access. We felt it would be faster and easier to do that versus riding buses. Guess we'll find out in October!

On the other hand, one of of the big benefits of AKL was the quality of the resort versus price. AKL was quite a bit cheaper than Poly and in the end, the monorail access won out over cost.
    As far as bus service is, the buses come at about the same rate as any other resort. The problem comes in the length of the ride. The lodge itself is a pretty good drive from the Magic Kingdom. At almost any other resort, you have close access to at least one or two parks, but AKL still requires a bus trip to get to AK. I found this to be annoying, but not to the point of letting it outweigh the comfort. I think its nice being a good distance from the other parks. I think the other resorts get so busy and clogged. AKL was a nice way to get away and relax, something that I truly value in the chaos that can be a WDW vacation. The bus rides were tolerable for the ambiance of the resort itself. The walking isn't bad. Depending on where you room, it could be a bit of a walk, but the safari viewing area, pool, and all three restaurants are very close to one another, although on different floors.

• She was sweet as a peach

I was going to suggest the Polynesian for pretty much the same reason Pacha did.
    If your girls are into princesses, the place you want to go is Akershus. It is Norway at Epcot. The food is ok but the girls get to meet five princesses (or Mary Poppins or Alice). Except for the greeter princess, they all stop by every table, talk, pose for pictures and sign autographs. A really nice experince for those that love the princesses.
    Last edited by jane2073; 06-27-2007 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Adding more.

Quote Originally Posted by 1313HarborBlvd View Post
    Congratulations! or maybe not. Your punctuation suggests there is some confusion about this.

Sorry about that! I'm not confused I just meant to put the question mark on the actual part where I asked the question! lol I AM pregnant!
    *~*Alisha*~*

Quote Originally Posted by jane2073 View Post
    I was going to suggest the Polynesian for pretty much the same reason Pacha did.
    If your girls are into princesses, the place you want to go is Akershus. It is Norway at Epcot. The food is ok but the girls get to meet five princesses (or Mary Poppins or Alice). Except for the greeter princess, they all stop by every table, talk, pose for pictures and sign autographs. A really nice experince for those that love the princesses.
    Thanks! I think we will try Akershus because Kyndall is obsessed with Marry Poppins, Belle & Cinderella!

Sounds like Animal Kingdom Lodge & Polynesian are the most popular suggestions for the girls! Thats a tough decision! What's going on with the construction at AKL?
    *~*Alisha*~*

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by alisha85 View Post
    Thanks! I think we will try Akershus because Kyndall is obsessed with Marry Poppins, Belle & Cinderella!

Sounds like Animal Kingdom Lodge & Polynesian are the most popular suggestions for the girls! Thats a tough decision! What's going on with the construction at AKL?
    They're putting in DVC (Disney Vacation Club) rooms. Note the note about noise. As great as AKL is, this was another reason we steered clear of AKL this year.
    http://allearsnet.com/acc/faq_akl.htm

Important: From March 2007 - April 2009 Construction will be taking place at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in preparation for the Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas. The early phases include construction in the main building.
    In June 2007, some guests have been called and offered to move to Saratoga Springs due to noise concerns. DVC members who have reservered the villas in the main building have been told to expect construction noise during the day.

ohh I see, well then Polynesian it is!
    *~*Alisha*~*

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by alisha85 View Post
    ohh I see, well then Polynesian it is!
    Well, I hope we both enjoy it!

Before you book though, you might want to wait and see what other Micechatters have to say about the construction at AKL. Might not be as bad as the allearsnet.com site makes it out to be. I mean, if you think the animal stuff at AKL would be cool for your kids and all.

• She was sweet as a peach

Keep in mind that Cinderella does not appear at Akershus. Nearly all of the other princesses are there (at one time or another). We have been twice and have seen Sleeping Beauty, Jasmine, Belle, Mary Poppins, Alice, Snow White and Ariel!

We stay at the Polynesian every year. And we absolutely love it. Our girls range from 18-11 and there is something for all of them. The theming is fabulous. My daughter about lives in the pool and on the slide. Also, if you want to have the magic in front of you at all times then in my opinion this is the resort for you!! We love watching the fireworks from the beach at night! And you can also see the water parade. We will be there once again in August!! Hope you have a wonderful time!! :-)

• We'll hold them at bay

Boardwalk
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

The most kid friendly resort is by far the Poly. The warm dark wood is soothing compaired to the stark white of the Grand Fl and the starkness of the Comtemporary. We've stayed at the Poly many times and the GF a couple and (to us) the guests and staff at the GF were as cold and unfriendly as the sanitary white walls.

Being pregnant, the monorail is a blessing if you do not have a car. Half of the parks are accessible with the monorail. The Poly is the 3rd stop and it's pretty easy to find a seat to sit down. With the GF, you're paying top dollar and by the time the monorail gets to you there is little space to sit. You also have quick access to the other resorts for their character breakfasts. Chef Mickey's and the GF's breakfasts are better than the Poly. The Garden Grill is a good family character meal. It's at The Land in EPCOT.

Yes, MNSSHP tickets are extra. Make sure you have a costume! Not many do but it makes it so much fun when everyone dresses up. The cast members seem to appreciate it when guests are in on the fun.

Actually, when we were last at Akershus (spelling?) at Christmas 2006, Cinderalla was there, and spent 10 minutes at our table with us. We saw 5 princesses in all, including Cindy. A much better experience then at the Castle in terms of quality time with her

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12