Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• back to WDW in January

Disney Accused Of Racial Profiling At Downtown Disney

Walt Disney World ejected four of Florida State University's top football prospects from Downtown Disney last weekend under its anti-gang, no-loitering policy.
    The four, including the son of a Disney manager and the son of a Philadelphia civil-rights lawyer, were banned for life from Disney World property late Friday.
    A Disney spokeswoman said the youths were expelled because they had been loitering for an extended period and refused to leave when Disney security told them to.
    Parents of the youths wonder whether there's another reason: They're black.
    "I keep thinking to myself, 'This is crazy,' " said Mark Nugent, stepfather of Vincent Williams, football star at Ridge Community High School in Polk County. "Once they realized they weren't gangbangers, why didn't they let them go? They took their pictures. They fingerprinted them. And treated them like common criminals."
    Because of concerns about a rise in ganglike activity at Downtown Disney lately, loitering or "any other inappropriate behavior" by groups of youths is not going to be tolerated, spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said Tuesday.
    "This group was seen loitering for an extended period of time," she said. "When asked, sometime after 11:30, they produced a movie ticket for a film that had already started sometime earlier. Security asked them to go to the movie or leave, and they failed to cooperate."
    Philadelphia attorney Adrian J. Moody, father of one of the players, said he thinks his son was a victim of racial profiling.
    "Why else would they follow them for an hour and a half to two hours?" said Moody, whose son, Nickolas Moody, listed on the police report as Nickolas Cannon, plays safety for Roman Catholic High School in Philadelphia. "And how can you trespass someone in Downtown Disney for walking around? I've been there before, and that's why it's there."

See the complete article here: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business...ness-headlines

Re: Disney Accused Of Racial Profiling At Downtown Disney

Ooooohhhhhh no...
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• Minion

This is getting a little out of hand. It is good that Disney is cracking down on crime, but it looks like they are doing it the wrong way. To be banned from Disney property forever for loitering is more than a little harsh, it is a tad ridiculous. About that guy they found a gun on recently in Downtown Disney, that is okay to eject that guy from Disney property pernamently. It sounds like the FSU people this article is about did nothing wrong, they were just being racially profiled.

It is pretty bad that racial profiling is okay, but Song of the South isn't.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    This is getting a little out of hand. It is good that Disney is cracking down on crime, but it looks like they are doing it the wrong way. To be banned from Disney property forever for loitering is more than a little harsh, it is a tad ridiculous. About that guy they found a gun on recently in Downtown Disney, that is okay to eject that guy from Disney property pernamently. It sounds like the FSU people this article is about did nothing wrong, they were just being racially profiled.

It is pretty bad that racial profiling is okay, but Song of the South isn't.

You missed it.. they weren't banned for loitering... they were banned when they wouldn't co-operate. And I totally agree.

Whatever reason security or police come after you.. when they do.. you better cooperate, or it gets much much worse for you. They could have just left and be angry about it, but rather they argue about it.. and poof.. bigger problem.

• Geoff London

You took the words out of my mouth. Disney is private property. You are "invited" to enter it provided you behave as a normal and rational human being. If you violate the rules in some way you may be asked to leave. You are given the chance to leave of your own free will. If you refuse then you are committing trespass. If you are hanging about (loitering) without any intent of doing something connected with the area and you are hastling others with your noise, your gestures etc then the owner (in this case Disney) has a perfect right to ask you to leave. If you refuse - you face the consequences. And this has absolutely nothing to do with the colour of your skin.
    Over here in the U K the police have the powers of "Stop and search". Statistically more people from black and ethnic groups are stopped than whites. The Police get accused of racism. The fact is thatit is ususually because the suspect is in an area of ethnic concentration. I'm not saying whites don't commit offences. Of course they do. If racial profiling has been employed in this instance then the authorities will have had a reason for doing so. I don't want to be hassled, shot, robbed, raped or whatever at Disney and I feel they have a full right to deal with the situation before it gets any worse. It's worth noting that this kind of thing developed at Disneyland Paris's Disney Village (their DTD). They cracked down on it immediately and now you may be stopped and searched before entering that area at night by security.
    If the fathers of these youths think that Disney have infringed their rights in any way then take it to court. I doubt they'd win.
    Last edited by geoffa; 06-27-2007 at 07:04 AM.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Minion

This is a very touchy subject to say the least...

It definitely sounds like Disney security is age profiling, which is perfectly within their right to do. Racial profiling? Not being there myself, I'm unclear on whether or not that's what actually happened with this incident.

Big question for me is, would Disney security have done the same things if they were white kids? May never get an honest answer to that question.

• Banned User

HA
    This is funny.

It seems to me that if there is something done that happens to involve a person of non-caucasian race, it is automatically considered 'racial profiling' - Disney has the right to ban anyone they want for any reason or no reason, however in this case, it sounds to me like the young men we not listening to security. If I were do have done the same they did, I would be banned, and I will say it's because I am white. That sounds crazy to me...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    You missed it.. they weren't banned for loitering... they were banned when they wouldn't co-operate. And I totally agree.

Whatever reason security or police come after you.. when they do.. you better cooperate, or it gets much much worse for you. They could have just left and be angry about it, but rather they argue about it.. and poof.. bigger problem.

Well, what were the FSU students doing in the first place that had them followed around like that? Sure they should have left when security came after them. The question is: were they followed because of their race? Unfortentaley that is a question that may never be answered.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post
    This is a very touchy subject to say the least...

It definitely sounds like Disney security is age profiling, which is perfectly within their right to do. Racial profiling? Not being there myself, I'm unclear on whether or not that's what actually happened with this incident.
    Sorry for the double post, but I don't know how to put a quote in when I edit. How is age profiling any more acceptable than racial profiling?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    Sorry for the double post, but I don't know how to put a quote in when I edit. How is age profiling any more acceptable than racial profiling?
    Harassing groups because of their age, race etc. isn't acceptable. I was a pretty damn good kid in High School and hung out with other good kids. I certainly wouldn't have appreciated being kicked out of a place just because of my age and the fact that I was in a group!

I don't have a problem with security keeping an eye on a group of people who could potentially be a gang of some sort. From what I understand, most of the issues at DTD are gang related. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this.) I didn't mind being watched when I was younger and out somewhere with a group.

If that's what profiling is, then no, I don't have a problem with it.

From what I have read here, it seems to me that if the kids had cooperated with security, there would have been no problem. It really seems to me, that in more and more cases when there is a problem of bad behavior and it involves a minority race, the Minority Trump Card is played. The behavior is totally ignored as if it never happened or it is ok to behave badly. It also seems that if there is a specific problem with gang activity, and the gangs consist of Black kids, then it isn't racial profiling. Just like if a white guy robs a bank...the teller gives a description of the robber as a "blond white, 6 foot guy, why would the police stop black guys? This isn't white racial profiling, just common sense. Monk99

• Fastest Man Alive

Sounds more like security made the mistake of banning kids with powerful parents. I see no problem here. Guess what? You are in charge of security, you are charged with keeping Downtown Disney clear of gangs.
    It's 11:30 at night, there are group of teen guys who have been loitering around all night. You investigate, ask them what they are up to. They lie to you by producing a movie ticket from earlier in the evening when they say they going to a movie. Something doesn't feel right. They are on private property, better safe than sorry. Thus, you ask them to leave. They REFUSE.
    I don't see any other way this situation could have not resulted in them getting kicked out and at least banned for a significant amount of time (I don't know about forever, and that is hardly enforcable). If this were a 'mixed' group or all white kids- or heck, all black kids without influential parents, this would have never made the news.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Come on they cant be racist!! look at Mickey he's black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    TRADING CREDITS AT ALL TIMES!! PM ME!!

• Minion

*sarcasm on* Oh, they're football players, how could they be disobedient? One of the fathers is a lawyer...how could his son be disobedient? *sarcasm off* I wonder what the Disney manager parent has to say.
    I want my cake back!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

If security or police ask you to leave private property and you refuse, at that point you're considered trespassing and you can get arrested for that. And I've seen it happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast