View Poll Results: Is Disney's Animal Kingdom Still A "Half-Day Park"?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. DAK is nothing more than a "Half-Day Diversion".

12 12.63%
  • Yes. It's A "Half-Day Park" - but, an exciting experience that captivates one's interest.

33 34.74%
  • No. The park is closer to a "Full-Day" of wild encounters and good-natured fun!

49 51.58%
  • Other -

1 1.05%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Re: Is the World's Largest Theme Park A Half-Day Diversion?

I can spend a day there, but usually do not because (i) the animals are quite inactive by mid-day; (ii) I can do all five e-ticket rides by 1 p.m.; and (iii) for some reason, that park seems hotter and more humid in late afternoon than any of the others. We usually head to another park by 2:00 p.m.
    Fight On! Beat the Huskers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    If you just goto the bullet points on the map and look for the ride.. you'll be done in DAK in no time.

If you goto the park and explore the attractions AND ride the rides.. you'll fill up most of day. If you REALLY wander the paths.. you'll fill a full day.

It's about a 75% day if you give it a chance. But if you are a 'go-go-go' person you'll be bored and done very quickly. The type of person who only seeks out the e-tickets will call DAK a bust. The type of person who likes to just wander a resort and take in the scenery will love DAK to no end.
    And I think this is the biggest issue with DAK. Most people are so used to the rushing mentality instilled in them from every other theme park they go to, they do not realize that this is a park that needs to be toured differently.

With that being said, while I can and sometimes do make it a full day park, I would not mind some more animal exhibits or even a dark ride or too, like a Jungle Book boat ride.

I agree with steamboatpete that the park seems hotter than the others, but I think that is mainly due to the fact that you almost never go inside during your touring time. Unlike other parks where you are in and out of air conditioning all day, there are only a few air conditioned attractions in the park, so it's more overall time in the heat. That's probably only part of the reason, but I do think it makes a big impact.

So all in all, it can be a full day park, but more things will always be welcome.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Just whatever you do.. don't skip everest or Nemo the musical

I think if you do the train, safari, tough to be a bug, dinosaur, the rapids, everest, and nemo.. that right there is more then half a day... and that's not counting strolling through the exhibits, Lion King, the parade, the smaller rides, etc.

Its easy to write off the park if you don't visit all of it. It's hard to visit all of it in one day.. just like MGM. When you cut attractions out.. its easier.

• Minion

I think the dense foliage may also account for why it's always so hot at Animal Kingdom. One thing I don't like about Animal Kingdom is that it often closes at 5 p.m. In my opinion, that's way too early for a Disney park to close. I'm always forced to go to another Disney park after Animal Kingdom closes.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I agree with Everest, and I hope I will agree when I see Nemo in August for the first time. But Everest alone I think makes this a must see park. That and the Safaris.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Yup. I definitely feel that Disney World doesn't actually have a ton of rides, which is what I'm the biggest fan of. As a tourist, the one thing I don't want to do is go to Epcot and see film after film after film.

And at Animal Kingdom, I feel that there's far too many shows compared to the amount of rides.

A good balance would make Animal Kingdom my new favorite florida park.

I enjoy shows, but rides are what gets me to stay in a park. I can ride a ride I love a million times and never get tired of it. Shows get old much quicker, and are only once a trip affairs. We need a park like Tokyo Disney Sea in America, from what I can tell (haven't been there myslef), it is my kind of park. It has three thrill ride/ dark ride combos with Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Crystal Skull, the world's best Tower of Terror, and Journey to the Center of the Earth (these are the kinds of things that never get old). Plus a cool looking Sinbad boat ride, what is supposedly a really good simulator (Stormrider), a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride, and a themed D-Ticket (IMO) roller coaster. Tokyo Disney Sea blows away all of EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, and MGM combined. When I visit TDS (which I will in the next few years), it will likely become my second favorite theme park next to Disneyland.

I easily think that Animal Kingdom is a full-day park. The only reason I can see for the park being done by mid-afternoon is skipping shows, exhibits, and lush scenery while rushing through attractions. Dinosaur, Expedition Everest, and Kilimanjaro Safraris are arguably the only "MUST DO" attractions for some, and can easily be completed by the afternoon. But at AK, the experience is so much more complete to me. Yes, the park is halfway a zoo. A normal zoo? Absolutely not. Mahjarraheh (sp???) Jungle Trek and Pangari Exploration Trail are world class animal exhibits, with lush and beautiful theming and magnificent animal viewing areas. Specifically, the tigers and gorillas areas are fantastic and I've never gotten a better view of these magnificent creatures. Also, the trails at the front of the park and around the Tree of Life are amazingly detailed and themed, and should not be missed. Although Dinorama isn't my favorite, it can be appreciated for what it was intended to be: a carnival with cheap, gimmicky rides. ALSO, the entertainment in Animal Kingdom is the best of any of the parks. Jammin' Jungle Parade is my favorite parade of the three currently. It brings life to the paths around the tree of life. It's Tough to be a Bug is a wonderful 4D show, and the combination of Animatronics make it one of my favorites in the resort. Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo: the Musical are arguably the best live entertainment in the entire resort. Flights of Wonder is the best bird show I've ever seen. If one were to visit all of these world-class things, even while rushing I don't think you could do it all. AK is DEFINITELY a full-day park for me.

At first, I didn't care much for AK, I also did not care for mny of the attractions and remember on several stays, a couple being several weeks, we did not even go to AK at all.

Now, I always look forward to it, and Everest is one of my favorite rides.

Maybe I'm mellowing with age?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I can spend a full day at Animal Kingdom due to the fact that I like to take it slow and enjoy the natural atmosphere. I love looking at the various kinds of animals and the exotic plants.
    Taking it slow and relazing should be what a vacation or reprieve should be all about. People spend extra dollars to immerse themselves environmentally in the flora and fauna of Sea World's Discovery Cove. Animal Kingdom offers the same opportunities to experience nature first hand as a high-end park such as DC. Nothing is more fun than the rides, but there is so much more going on.

People really should take advantage of this unique opportunity to slow down, interact with all manner of wildlife, stroll through exotic habitats, lush gardens, and to learn more about plantlife in general.

Quote Originally Posted by sueb View Post
    I will have to hold my vote until I go there in October. What are the chances that this thread will still be going then? I'll peek in from time to time to get tips on making my trip there the best possible. Thanks for the input so far everyone.
    Your interest in the thread is absolutely awesome, sueb. Few have that type of longevity. DAK is becoming ever more interesting and topic worthy. It would be quite nice if it did continue that long. If not, I'll tell you what - I'll start a new one around the time that you return.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post
    I picked option 2. I'm satisfied with spending around 5-6 hours in AK, where other parks, like Epcot, I can spend 8+ hours in.

I agree with TDR_Fan about the slower atmosphere there. It's a very pleasant, relaxing park to be in, is well worth visiting, and IMO fits very well at WDW.
    Sounds like the park is always a "Must-See" on your trips to WDW. Glad that you slow down and enjoy taking in the overall experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    The poll options are a little one sided.

a. It's just half a day
    b. It's half a day and I like it
    c. It's close to a full day
    d. other

I spent 3 full days (opening to closing) there in 2004 and had a blast.

I just wish they had a fireworks show (but I know they can't because of the animals.)
    Your enthusiasm for Animal Kingdom is encouraging, if not contageous! This is further evidence that the park is coming into it's own - as a place that some are enjoying multiple days.

I share your disappointment about the lack of a fireworks show. Perhaps it will one day have an outdoor water and lazer show similar to that being developed for DCA's Paradise Lake.

I think if you do the train, safari, tough to be a bug, dinosaur, the rapids, everest, and nemo.. that right there is more then half a day... and that's not counting strolling through the exhibits, Lion King, the parade, the smaller rides, etc.

Its easy to write off the park if you don't visit all of it. It's hard to visit all of it in one day.. just like MGM. When you cut attractions out.. its easier.
    The new attractions keep getting better and better, don't they?! Valid point that a lot of people leave before giving all of the attractions a chance. There really is enough offerings to keep one busy throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by tonythetigerasn View Post
    I easily think that Animal Kingdom is a full-day park. The only reason I can see for the park being done by mid-afternoon is skipping shows, exhibits, and lush scenery while rushing through attractions. Dinosaur, Expedition Everest, and Kilimanjaro Safraris are arguably the only "MUST DO" attractions for some, and can easily be completed by the afternoon. But at AK, the experience is so much more complete to me. Yes, the park is halfway a zoo. A normal zoo? Absolutely not. Mahjarraheh (sp???) Jungle Trek and Pangari Exploration Trail are world class animal exhibits, with lush and beautiful theming and magnificent animal viewing areas. Specifically, the tigers and gorillas areas are fantastic and I've never gotten a better view of these magnificent creatures. Also, the trails at the front of the park and around the Tree of Life are amazingly detailed and themed, and should not be missed. Although Dinorama isn't my favorite, it can be appreciated for what it was intended to be: a carnival with cheap, gimmicky rides. ALSO, the entertainment in Animal Kingdom is the best of any of the parks. Jammin' Jungle Parade is my favorite parade of the three currently. It brings life to the paths around the tree of life. It's Tough to be a Bug is a wonderful 4D show, and the combination of Animatronics make it one of my favorites in the resort. Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo: the Musical are arguably the best live entertainment in the entire resort. Flights of Wonder is the best bird show I've ever seen. If one were to visit all of these world-class things, even while rushing I don't think you could do it all. AK is DEFINITELY a full-day park for me.
    Junle Trek, Pangani Exploration Trail, and Flights of wonder are three phenominal opportunities to experience exotic animals up close and personal. Unfortunately, many people miss them. Guess they don't make the bullet point "do and dash" list. Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade is the craziest and most exciting of all - save perhaps the Electric Parade.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Minion

Animal Kingdom certainly has the most potential out of the 4 parks due to the vast amount of space they have. I can see it becoming the best park at Walt Disney World in a decade or two.

I was most impressed with Animal Kingdom sans the hiccup in Dinoland. The largest park is sort of a misnomer. Yes it is very large in area but if you take away where they house the animals and the safari, its size goes down.

It has two super headlining rides in the Safari and Expedition Everest. It has 2 super headlining entertainment options in the Jammin Jungle Parade and Festival of the Lion King.
    It also has two headlining rides to back up the biggies in Dinosaur and Kali and also two headlining entertainment options in the Nemo show, and the bird show.

Other nice things that don't rise to the level of headliners.
    All 3 trails. Many people forget all the little trails in the Oasis. We found those quite interesting.
    Rafiki's Planet Watch and Conservation Station. When they have a surgery or other procedure scheduled and it is hopping, this can be just as fun as any super headliner. When they don't and it isn't, this can fall to the level of mere filler.
    Drum Show
    Acrobat show
    Both of the above shows rise above the level of mere filler. They're really quite nice to see.
    ITTBAB. A nice 3-d bug show.

Filler
    Pocohantis A nice animal show for the kids. Good once for the adults. Not much repeat value for the adults though.
    Triceratops Spin. Dumbo goes back to the stone age.
    Primeval Whirl. A spinning mouse that is nothing more than a carnival ride.
    Boneyard. The dig was Ok. But I'd love to have a bigger, more informative dig and get rid of the playground.
    TTS can stay but take out all the black top and take out Primeval Whirl.
    Di Vine
    Talking Tree.
    Tree of Life.

If you're not into shows or animals, well it's probably going to be a 1/2 day park. But otherwise, it has become a full day park. Of all the WDW parks, it was the most impressive.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WSVR View Post
    The largest park is sort of a misnomer. Yes it is very large in area but if you take away where they house the animals and the safari, its size goes down.
    That's true. As far as total sq. footage, Animal Kingdom is by far the largest. But if you count the sq. footage of only areas accessible to guests, Epcot is larger. However, Animal Kingdom does have several large expansion pads outside the park that can easily make it the largest park for real if they were developed.

• Defying gravity

AK is what you make it. If you don't choose to enjoy the animals and just hit the "E-tickets," then it is a half day park. However, in this respect, World Showcase could be seen in an hour, since there are only a few "attractions" there. Touring times just depend on how thorough a person wants to be.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by WSVR View Post
    It has two super headlining rides in the Safari and Expedition Everest. It has 2 super headlining entertainment options in the Jammin Jungle Parade and Festival of the Lion King.
    It also has two headlining rides to back up the biggies in Dinosaur and Kali and also two headlining entertainment options in the Nemo show, and the bird show.
    I certainly would not say that Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade is a "super headlining entertainment option." All of the parades in WDW are rather weak, but is certainly the weakest parade. I saw it once and once was enough for me.

I also think that Kilimanjaro Safaris is overrated. IMO, Dinosaur is often overlooked and should be considered the best ride after Expedition Everest, of course.

Again, I also would not say that Flights of Wonder is even "headlining." Festival of the Lion King is fantastic and Finding Nemo: The Musical is quite good as well. At first, I didn't like the music very much, but then it began to grow on me.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

A half day was more than enough for me.
    I'm anti-adding rides.... it's just not that kind of park to me.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast