View Poll Results: Is Disney's Animal Kingdom Still A "Half-Day Park"?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. DAK is nothing more than a "Half-Day Diversion".

12 12.63%
  • Yes. It's A "Half-Day Park" - but, an exciting experience that captivates one's interest.

33 34.74%
  • No. The park is closer to a "Full-Day" of wild encounters and good-natured fun!

49 51.58%
  • Other -

1 1.05%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• aerinpegadrak/DQ's sis

Re: Is the World's Largest Theme Park A Half-Day Diversion?

When I went we were there no longer then 2 hours. I had a GAC, and it advanced us more then we thought it would. We did all the major rides and were off to Epcot by 1130, having arrived at 930.

• Hola Yola!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Yup. I definitely feel that Disney World doesn't actually have a ton of rides, which is what I'm the biggest fan of. As a tourist, the one thing I don't want to do is go to Epcot and see film after film after film.

And at Animal Kingdom, I feel that there's far too many shows compared to the amount of rides.

A good balance would make Animal Kingdom my new favorite florida park.
    Very true and well said. Even MK is pretty light on rides when compared to
    DL. AK is potentially a full day park, but I suspect for most guests it's still more of a half day park due to the lack of rides. I'm with you, though; a few more rides to balance it out and AK would be my favourite park at WDW (and a park up there with the Magic Kingdoms).

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Visiting well into the night would be quite thrilling. This would leave nature's window open for more nocturnal exibits - as well as a different perspective in which to view and enjoy the attractions.
    In some zoos out here we have indoor nocturnal houses in which you can see nocturnal animal exhibits and I always thought this would be a cool addition to AK. Maybe if they ever add Australia they can do it as so many of our animals are nocturnal.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

DAK is a wonderfully themed and beautiful park but I feel it relies to much on the animals for me to consider it a "full day" park. Now you may say "duh, it's Disney's Animal Kingdom" but hey, that's my opinion. I can't get myself too excited about a park with only 2 rides I feel are a must do (Everest and Countdown to Extinction Dinosaur). I could care less about animals, I can see animals at the wildlife park 5 minutes from my house (they have a tram ride through the grazing areas there too).

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

I feel AK is only a half day park. The only attractions I go on are Dinosaur (although I still call it Countdown), the Safari and I'm sure Everest the next time I'm there. I won't go on TtbaB because I get extremely claustrophobic in the que or the River Rapids because I'm not a fan of water rides. I really don't like Mickey's Jammin Jungle Parade, to me it is tired and really needs to be updated. I have seen Lion King starting back since before the park opened and I have seen it so many times that unless my party really wants to see it I can skip it.

I do love the foliage and have my few areas that I love to sit. The one aspect of the park that I don't like is the fact that a majority of the walkways are extremely narrow. To me that makes the streets difficult to manage. While I do enjoy the park, I feel it can be done in a half day.

• Minion

What they really need is a nighttime lagoon show since fireworks are apparentely not allowed due to the close proximity of the animals.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Circle of Ancients

I think if you went to DAK with the plan to do EVERYTHING the park has to offer, then yes, it's definately a full-day park.

This includes the planet-watch, all of the animal exhibit, all rides and all shows.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by WSVR View Post
    I was most impressed with Animal Kingdom sans the hiccup in Dinoland. The largest park is sort of a misnomer. Yes it is very large in area but if you take away where they house the animals and the safari, its size goes down.

It has two super headlining rides in the Safari and Expedition Everest. It has 2 super headlining entertainment options in the Jammin Jungle Parade and Festival of the Lion King.
    It also has two headlining rides to back up the biggies in Dinosaur and Kali and also two headlining entertainment options in the Nemo show, and the bird show.

Other nice things that don't rise to the level of headliners.
    All 3 trails. Many people forget all the little trails in the Oasis. We found those quite interesting.
    Rafiki's Planet Watch and Conservation Station. When they have a surgery or other procedure scheduled and it is hopping, this can be just as fun as any super headliner. When they don't and it isn't, this can fall to the level of mere filler.
    Drum Show
    Acrobat show
    Both of the above shows rise above the level of mere filler. They're really quite nice to see.
    ITTBAB. A nice 3-d bug show.

Filler
    Pocohantis A nice animal show for the kids. Good once for the adults. Not much repeat value for the adults though.
    Triceratops Spin. Dumbo goes back to the stone age.
    Primeval Whirl. A spinning mouse that is nothing more than a carnival ride.
    Boneyard. The dig was Ok. But I'd love to have a bigger, more informative dig and get rid of the playground.
    TTS can stay but take out all the black top and take out Primeval Whirl.
    Di Vine
    Talking Tree.
    Tree of Life.

If you're not into shows or animals, well it's probably going to be a 1/2 day park. But otherwise, it has become a full day park. Of all the WDW parks, it was the most impressive.
    Very detailed analyses. I am particularly impressed with the filler activities that you have hoghlighted, WSVR. There's a lot of entertainment value that many people miss.

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Animal Kingdom certainly has the most potential out of the 4 parks due to the vast amount of space they have. I can see it becoming the best park at Walt Disney World in a decade or two.
    Certainly looks like Disney will keep on forging ahead with new attractions of every sort. You are correct in your assertion that DAK may be on the road to becoming the best WDW gate od all.

Quote Originally Posted by SorcererMickey View Post
    I feel AK is only a half day park. The only attractions I go on are Dinosaur (although I still call it Countdown), the Safari and I'm sure Everest the next time I'm there. I won't go on TtbaB because I get extremely claustrophobic in the que or the River Rapids because I'm not a fan of water rides. I really don't like Mickey's Jammin Jungle Parade, to me it is tired and really needs to be updated. I have seen Lion King starting back since before the park opened and I have seen it so many times that unless my party really wants to see it I can skip it.

I do love the foliage and have my few areas that I love to sit. The one aspect of the park that I don't like is the fact that a majority of the walkways are extremely narrow. To me that makes the streets difficult to manage. While I do enjoy the park, I feel it can be done in a half day.
    Noticed that Dinosaur is at the top of your list. Lots of people are crazy about it. Never a dull moment, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Cliff View Post
    Very true and well said. Even MK is pretty light on rides when compared to
    DL. AK is potentially a full day park, but I suspect for most guests it's still more of a half day park due to the lack of rides. I'm with you, though; a few more rides to balance it out and AK would be my favourite park at WDW (and a park up there with the Magic Kingdoms).

In some zoos out here we have indoor nocturnal houses in which you can see nocturnal animal exhibits and I always thought this would be a cool addition to AK. Maybe if they ever add Australia they can do it as so many of our animals are nocturnal.
    Indoor nocturnal houses would be cool. they'ed certainly come alive at night. Lot's of people would like to see DAK remain open later.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    I certainly would not say that Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade is a "super headlining entertainment option." All of the parades in WDW are rather weak, but is certainly the weakest parade. I saw it once and once was enough for me.

I also think that Kilimanjaro Safaris is overrated. IMO, Dinosaur is often overlooked and should be considered the best ride after Expedition Everest, of course.

Again, I also would not say that Flights of Wonder is even "headlining." Festival of the Lion King is fantastic and Finding Nemo: The Musical is quite good as well. At first, I didn't like the music very much, but then it began to grow on me.
    Yet another big time Dinosaur fan!

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    The park has 3-4 E-ticket rides in the safaris, Everest, Dinosaur, and if you consider the rapids an E-ticket. So it has plenty of top shelf rides. The problem is below that there's not much more for those of us who enjoy rides. The only other "ride" I can think of is Primeval Whirl which is just annoying. What this park needs to become a full day park is about 3-4 C-D ticket rides, especially a couple of dark rides. If they would add some great indoor attractions with, gasp, air conditioning the park would be a complete full day area. To make it even better, a few more sit down restaurants would make it complete.

Personally I'd like to see Camp Minnie Mickey become some type of Arctic pavilion with a couple of C or D ticket rides in there and then add a couple of rides out where the petting zoo is to make that part of the park worth visiting.
    C & D ticket ride additions would be very welcome throughout the par. An Arctic land sounds like a fun land. it would also be a great place to avoid the heat on hot days.

Quote Originally Posted by JoseyDisney View Post
    I love DAK, but the last couple of times I've been, seen eveything I wanted to see and left in about half a day! would love some more attractions though!!
    You sound like you don't mess around when it cones to rides! A new land themed to Australia is under consideration. Beastly Kingdom is back in the rumoe mill again. As competitive as Universal and Sea World have become, we can be guaranteed that Disney is not going to sit on it's duff and do nothing.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    What they really need is a nighttime lagoon show since fireworks are apparentely not allowed due to the close proximity of the animals.
    For certain. I'm hoping that the coming Paradis Lake water/lazer show at DCA will inspire Disney to put together a similar spectacle at Animal Kingdom.

• May the F=ma be with you

The themeing through out the entire park is abslutely spectacular. I can spend awhole day looking at the details, animals, and plant life.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• We'll hold them at bay

I feel its close to a full day park. In fact, during a recent 8 day visit, I spent 3 half days there. I do realize that many feel its not a full day and there is a lot of potential. I recently did a three part series for Mouse Extra on what to do and how to expand: whether its an America area

http://www.mouseextra.com/2007/05/29...-park/#respond

or an expansion from the Nemo area
    http://www.mouseextra.com/2007/05/31...roos/#comments

or whether they build a Beastly Kingdomme

http://www.mouseextra.com/2007/06/01...domme/#respond

Whatever way, It would be nice to make this more than a full day and help sell single passes for this park
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

I also think that Kilimanjaro Safaris is overrated. IMO, Dinosaur is often overlooked and should be considered the best ride after Expedition Everest, of cours
    I would completely and totally disagree. Kilimanjaro Safaris is a wonder of an attraction. The technological genius behind putting so many kinds of animals together in an attraction, maintaining the theme throughout the structure, give it the free-roaming animal feeling, keeping it safe for guests, making sure animals are in a fairly good view of the guests, keeping up a good capacity, and incorporating a plot is AMAZING. I've been on Rhino Rally at BGA and to a local zoo, and nothing compares. Kilimanjaro is reliable, it has a good variety of animals, and its just really really well done. When I ride it, I truly feel like I have left Orlando and am now on the African Savannah. Few other rides can do this for me, Dinosaur and Everest included.

• Still wants to be a cat!

I must be one of the only few, last October the Wolpack spent 2 days there and we can hardly wait to go back this year, but this time for only 1 day (short on time). We are "animal" people though and spend a lot of time at zoos etc. Love this Park!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Our first time, we went to do it all and ran out of time. On future visits, we made it to everything except the shows and parades, which we can take or leave.

The safari is an awesome ride; but the later you try it, though, the less interesting it becomes, because the animals tend to hit the shade as the morning wears on. Dinosaur, the rapids and Everest are all must-dos, and the animal exhibits are worth walking through even if you have just a half-day to devote (unless you went to the San Diego Zoo earlier that week).
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    The themeing through out the entire park is abslutely spectacular. I can spend awhole day looking at the details, animals, and plant life.
    Animal Kingdom is arguably the most thematically detailed park at the WDW Resort.

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcB View Post
    I feel its close to a full day park. In fact, during a recent 8 day visit, I spent 3 half days there. I do realize that many feel its not a full day and there is a lot of potential. expand: whether its an America area
    I recently did a three part series for Mouse Extra on what to do and how to
    http://www.mouseextra.com/2007/05/29...-park/#respond

or an expansion from the Nemo area
    http://www.mouseextra.com/2007/05/31...roos/#comments

or whether they build a Beastly Kingdomme

http://www.mouseextra.com/2007/06/01...domme/#respond

Whatever way, It would be nice to make this more than a full day and help sell single passes for this park
    Your three part Mouse Extra series is an interesting, fun read. I recommend that everyone give it a look-see. I like the Beastly Kingdom idea the best.

Quote Originally Posted by tonythetigerasn View Post
    I would completely and totally disagree. Kilimanjaro Safaris is a wonder of an attraction. The technological genius behind putting so many kinds of animals together in an attraction, maintaining the theme throughout the structure, give it the free-roaming animal feeling, keeping it safe for guests, making sure animals are in a fairly good view of the guests, keeping up a good capacity, and incorporating a plot is AMAZING. I've been on Rhino Rally at BGA and to a local zoo, and nothing compares. Kilimanjaro is reliable, it has a good variety of animals, and its just really really well done. When I ride it, I truly feel like I have left Orlando and am now on the African Savannah. Few other rides can do this for me, Dinosaur and Everest included.
    Kilimanjaro Sararis is DEFINITELY not to be underated. The complex manner in which it is constructed is a marvel without equal.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999 View Post
    I must be one of the only few, last October the Wolpack spent 2 days there and we can hardly wait to go back this year, but this time for only 1 day (short on time). We are "animal" people though and spend a lot of time at zoos etc. Love this Park!
    You, Wolfy, and the entire "Wolfypack" are wonderful people - with an abiding, profound interest and natural love for our planet's creatures!

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Our first time, we went to do it all and ran out of time. On future visits, we made it to everything except the shows and parades, which we can take or leave.

The safari is an awesome ride; but the later you try it, though, the less interesting it becomes, because the animals tend to hit the shade as the morning wears on. Dinosaur, the rapids and Everest are all must-dos, and the animal exhibits are worth walking through even if you have just a half-day to devote (unless you went to the San Diego Zoo earlier that week).
    DAK enjoys an ever-growing list of "Must-Sees" - Must-Do's"!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-30-2007 at 03:12 PM.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Animal Kingdom is arguably the most thematically detailed park at the WDW Resort.

Your three part Mouse Extra series is an interesting, fun read. I recommend that everyone give it a look-see. I like the Beastly Kingdom idea the best.

I appreciate that thank you
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast