View Poll Results: Is Disney's Animal Kingdom Still A "Half-Day Park"?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. DAK is nothing more than a "Half-Day Diversion".

12 12.63%
  • Yes. It's A "Half-Day Park" - but, an exciting experience that captivates one's interest.

33 34.74%
  • No. The park is closer to a "Full-Day" of wild encounters and good-natured fun!

49 51.58%
  • Other -

1 1.05%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• We'll hold them at bay

Re: Is the World's Largest Theme Park A Half-Day Diversion?

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Kilimanjaro Sararis is DEFINITELY not to be underated. The complex manner in which it is constructed is a marvel without equal.
    I agree with you. Its an amazing attraction and a top-notch zoological exhibit
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

My point of view may not be popular with the others who have replied so far, but in MY opinion, AK is a deeply flawed park that needs a lot of work to improve it.

Let me explain...

I've been to AK many times, first, as a guest on a few occassions. Admittedly the first time I went, it was with a friend of mine and we were hitting several parks in the same day, he wanted to see Everest and Dinosaur, so we did those and left. At first I was quite taken by the entrance area of the park and was hoping to see some nice things when I had more time to spend.

Then as a contractor where I walked all 4 parks for several months. The other contractors and I thought AK was the absolute LEAST walking friendly of any of the parks, and taking a look at how it's laid out, its easy to see why.

Here are my reasons...

Reason 1:

Unlike the other parks, getting around isnt quick or easy. MK has the hub layout and transportation, like the train to get around. Epcot has a nearly hub layout in FW, and WS is pretty spread out, but its easy to get on a boat to get to the other side, then there's MGM Studios which does have a long distance between sides, but many pathways to get around.

AK for the most part, lacks extra pathways for easier crowd movement. The parade moving through makes getting around even more troublesome.

Also, in many places there's bottlenecks of pathways and scenery, which becomes an issue with as many strollers, ecv's etc as there are.

As with any modern popular park, a trade-off has to be made between being authentic and making the park user-friendly. Unfortunately I dont think its user-friendly at all. There's no alternate transportation to other parts of the park, unless you count the train to Rafiki's. (I realize MGM also has none)

Reason 2:

Theming. This is merely my take on it and you can feel free to disagree with me. I grew up going to BGT, I like BGT although its a themed amusement park more than a full-blown theme park. It DOES have an African theme throughout the park and generally its nice looking and well kept.

I realize that Disney decided to use a different strategy, to make AK as authentic to their respective continents as possible. But to me, thats not what I think makes the best impression for a Disney park. There's true reality and there's Disney reality.

What I mean is that, before AK opened and you thought of Disney, and how they did other lands, like Epcot's WS, you could see that Disney decided to have the countries look "ideal". They were the nicest representations of each country. The same could be said generally for MK's Adventureland, Frontierland, and Liberty Square, all designed to look very nice, or like they were just built.

AK takes a realism apporach that, while done very well, does not give me any "feel good" aspect like I get in the other parks. Im sure the old looking African village and the Everest expedition areas are quite true to their real selves, but to me, it's too real...they're too run-down.

I also think that there's too much foliage in the park, it's overrun with trees, and thats part of the reason why it does feel so humid all the time. It also doesn't give as much of a sense of being in different lands the way the other parks do.

Reason 3:

In need of some things:
    More mid-level attractions, as someone mentioned, C or D tickets would be nice.

Also, it needs more nice air conditioned areas, eateries, interactive displays, dino exhibits, etc. Shelter from the heat is important in Florida, and overall, besides a few gift shops, AK is severely lacking in that aspect, and that might be the reason why people DO leave after 1/2 a day, not always because they run out of things to do, but because they need to rest indoors.

Well, that covers the basics of my thoughts on the park.

Thoughts?

• Minion

I think it's quite a shame that it is the park people seem most likely to skip, writing it off as just another place to see animals, never realizing it is so much more than that.

• Geoff London

When I came to vote I was looking for a 3/4 of day but it wasn't there. The main problem with DAK is that unless you are there at park opening to mid morning you won't see much on the Kilimanjaro Safari ride. Any sun and those critters head for a snooze. I also have to realistically regard this place as a zoo not a park. It doesn't matter how many acres of land you put an animal in, if it isn't free to roam at will then it is captive. I know the "breeding programme" camp will voice up but I feel animals do best in their natural environments (Aided by man). Those elephants have been taught their boundaries, those parrots have had their wings clipped, those lions face a ditch of water and electric fences. Just 'cos you can't see them.......at least Disney did try to make it more natural and didn't go for a monorail zooming across their savannah. All that said it is a pleasant "park" and it depends whether you want to while away a half hour watching an animal do what is does. I'm a thrill ride seeker but I'd rather that coasters were kept to the other parks. The Lion King show is superb and it fits perfectly into the surroundings. Camp Mickey/Minnie - was is that all about? I detested the Tarzan show - it was no more than a Cirque de Soleil on skates. I can't comment on the Nemo (who is being overdone like Stitch was) as I haven't seen it. The bird show didn't present anything I haven't seen before - I'd have liked more info on them rather than the $ bill tricks. The Maharaja walk is fascinating. I detest Dinoland - apart from the tech ride it's a cheap fill in to fit in with kids crazes. It should be redeveloped. Someone mentioned fireworks - obviously a "No! No!" because of the animals but some water pageant on the river - its surely long enough.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• One big touch screen.....

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    I can't comment on the Nemo show
    It makes Festival of the Lion King look like a school play.

And I LOVE FotLK.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by EPCOT View Post
    It makes Festival of the Lion King look like a school play.

And I LOVE FotLK.
    Not to mention it has an INCREDIBLE soundtrack.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
    Thoughts?

some of those issues I wrote about in the Mouse Extra article I linked above. More recently, I did a bit on a toddlers day at DAK which talks about some of the problems you mention as well

http://www.mouseextra.com/2007/07/25...art-2/#respond
    http://www.mouseextra.com/2007/07/23...rt-1/#comments
    www.jamboeveryone.com

• Progressive Disneylander

I suppose I'm the only weirdo that chose 'OTHER'. For me, it all comes down to the mentality I have when I'm at the park AND how entertaining the animals are.

If I go to AK and want to do some of the attractions multiple times and the animals are having a good day, it can be a full day park. However, if you have a bunch of sleepy beasts and I just want to do things once, it can be a half-day park.

Last time I was at AK, I spent most of the day there.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    If I go to AK and want to do some of the attractions multiple times and the animals are having a good day, it can be a full day park. However, if you have a bunch of sleepy beasts and I just want to do things once, it can be a half-day park.

Last time I was at AK, I spent most of the day there.
    If its real hot or the middle of the day, it may noy be a good beastie day
    www.jamboeveryone.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234