View Poll Results: Is Disney's Animal Kingdom Still A "Half-Day Park"?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. DAK is nothing more than a "Half-Day Diversion".

12 12.63%
  • Yes. It's A "Half-Day Park" - but, an exciting experience that captivates one's interest.

33 34.74%
  • No. The park is closer to a "Full-Day" of wild encounters and good-natured fun!

49 51.58%
  • Other -

1 1.05%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Is the World's Largest Theme Park A Half-Day Diversion?

On April 22, 1998, when Disney's Animal Kingdom opened, it quickly amassed sharp criticism that it was seriously lean on attractions. The term "Half-Day Park" actually became sort of a motto - replacing Disney's "Whole New Species of Theme Park".

The size of DAK is in excess of 500 acres, or two kilometers squared. Certainly, the gate offers some exciting rides - Kilimanjaro Safaris, Kali River Rapids, Dinosaur - and newer rides such as Primeval Whirl, and the "Yeti recommended", Expedition Everest.

It's shows are world class. Audiences become completely immeresed and entertained by such productions as It's Tough To Be A Bug (housed inside the Tree of Life), Flights of Wonder, Festival of the Lion King, Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade, and the new Finding Nemo - The Musical.

Nearly 10 years after it's opening, would you characterize DAK as "A Half-Day Divirsion", or "A Half-Day Park - But An Exciting Experience That Captivates One's Interest", or "Closer To A Full-Day of Wild Encounters and Good-Natured Fun?

A poll is up.. Feel free to post your thoughts and comments.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-30-2007 at 03:28 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Is the World's Largest Theme Park A Half-Day Diversion?

Animal Kingdom is a beautiful park and can certainly be a full day park. Maybe a few more rides and fewer shows would make this park more complete for me.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

well, it's become a full day, in respect to dawn till dusk, but I'd like to see it become a FULL full day from dawn to well into the night.

• Minion

I can spend a full day at Animal Kingdom due to the fact that I like to take it slow and enjoy the natural atmosphere. I love looking at the various kinds of animals and the exotic plants.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Animal Kingdom is a beautiful park and can certainly be a full day park. Maybe a few more rides and fewer shows would make this park more complete for me.
    I agree there. Quality entertaining shows should always be a part of any given theme park's attraction mix. That being said, one should never lose sight of the fact that the rides are the primary force that drives attendance, and compels guests to increase their length of stay. This is true both in terms of time spent at particular parks, and time spent in a resort on the whole.

Quote Originally Posted by linklewtt View Post
    well, it's become a full day, in respect to dawn till dusk, but I'd like to see it become a FULL full day from dawn to well into the night.
    Visiting well into the night would be quite thrilling. This would leave nature's window open for more nocturnal exibits - as well as a different perspective in which to view and enjoy the attractions.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I agree there. Quality entertaining shows should always be a part of any given theme park's attraction mix. That being said, one should never lose sight of the fact that the rides are the primary force that drives attendance, and compels guests to increase their length of stay. This is true both in terms of time spent at particular parks, and time spent in a resort on the whole.

Yup. I definitely feel that Disney World doesn't actually have a ton of rides, which is what I'm the biggest fan of. As a tourist, the one thing I don't want to do is go to Epcot and see film after film after film.

And at Animal Kingdom, I feel that there's far too many shows compared to the amount of rides.

A good balance would make Animal Kingdom my new favorite florida park.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Pilot EdForceOne

If you just goto the bullet points on the map and look for the ride.. you'll be done in DAK in no time.

If you goto the park and explore the attractions AND ride the rides.. you'll fill up most of day. If you REALLY wander the paths.. you'll fill a full day.

It's about a 75% day if you give it a chance. But if you are a 'go-go-go' person you'll be bored and done very quickly. The type of person who only seeks out the e-tickets will call DAK a bust. The type of person who likes to just wander a resort and take in the scenery will love DAK to no end.

• I'd rather be @ D-land

I will have to hold my vote until I go there in October. What are the chances that this thread will still be going then? I'll peek in from time to time to get tips on making my trip there the best possible. Thanks for the input so far everyone.

Blog Entries

The park has 3-4 E-ticket rides in the safaris, Everest, Dinosaur, and if you consider the rapids an E-ticket. So it has plenty of top shelf rides. The problem is below that there's not much more for those of us who enjoy rides. The only other "ride" I can think of is Primeval Whirl which is just annoying. What this park needs to become a full day park is about 3-4 C-D ticket rides, especially a couple of dark rides. If they would add some great indoor attractions with, gasp, air conditioning the park would be a complete full day area. To make it even better, a few more sit down restaurants would make it complete.

Personally I'd like to see Camp Minnie Mickey become some type of Arctic pavilion with a couple of C or D ticket rides in there and then add a couple of rides out where the petting zoo is to make that part of the park worth visiting.

• Minion

I picked option 2. I'm satisfied with spending around 5-6 hours in AK, where other parks, like Epcot, I can spend 8+ hours in.

I agree with TDR_Fan about the slower atmosphere there. It's a very pleasant, relaxing park to be in, is well worth visiting, and IMO fits very well at WDW.

• I Miss WDW

Peterhead, Scotland (i.e. Way too far away!)

I love DAK, but the last couple of times I've been, seen eveything I wanted to see and left in about half a day! would love some more attractions though!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

On one visit to AK last year, I saw everything I wanted to see by mid-afternoon, including 3 rides on Everest. Of course, I was traveling alone, so it was a lot easier to cover ground.

• Drunk On Disney

The poll options are a little one sided.

a. It's just half a day
    b. It's half a day and I like it
    c. It's close to a full day
    d. other

I spent 3 full days (opening to closing) there in 2004 and had a blast.

I just wish they had a fireworks show (but I know they can't because of the animals.)

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I have never spent more than a half day at AK- but I love AK. I am not a person to just idle and walk slow. Can't do it (I'm from NY )I think AK has a lot to see if you take the time to see them. For some, it can be a full day experience. It can use a few dark rides, I think that will add to the park and give more chances to get out of the heat.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• and too all a good fright

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    The park has 3-4 E-ticket rides in the safaris, Everest, Dinosaur, and if you consider the rapids an E-ticket. So it has plenty of top shelf rides. The problem is below that there's not much more for those of us who enjoy rides. The only other "ride" I can think of is Primeval Whirl which is just annoying. What this park needs to become a full day park is about 3-4 C-D ticket rides, especially a couple of dark rides. If they would add some great indoor attractions with, gasp, air conditioning the park would be a complete full day area. To make it even better, a few more sit down restaurants would make it complete.

Personally I'd like to see Camp Minnie Mickey become some type of Arctic pavilion with a couple of C or D ticket rides in there and then add a couple of rides out where the petting zoo is to make that part of the park worth visiting.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. And I love love love the idea of an arctic pavillion!

AK is a full satisfying experience, but I don't spend the time there that I do at other parks. When I vivist WDW, AK is always my short day. The day that I plan in the middle of the trip so I can rest up a bit. Or the day that I plan on going to DTD at night.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast