Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Defying gravity

Wink Ticket Finger Scanners

Do these scanners really work? I've seen people use the wrong finger, not put in a finger on the sensor at all, etc., and still get in. Are these scanners primarily for show and really not sensitive at all? I wonder why they do not just put pics on the APs like in DL? (That, or seriously upgrade to retina scans....)

What have been your experiences with the finger scanners?

• Geoff London

Re: Ticket Finger Scanners

These devices are set up to allow a certain percent of positives (80 - 90%) because grease, dirt, wrong finger are all elements that can affect traffic flow. Disney employ them to try and cut down on the number of people passing on tickets but don't want them so sensitive that they don't allow anybody in. The lines would be unmanageable. So to answer your question they are not 100% accurate (neither are the ones used by immigration at the airports). As for retina scans - they are way too expensive, too bulky and the "read time" is far longer than a single finger scan. (Retina scans were first thought of in the 1930s!)

Have a look at:

http://www.zvetcobiometrics.com/?gcl...FQ8vlAodMXQ1iA

and

http://ctl.ncsc.dni.us/biomet%20web/BMRetinal.html
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Beware of Mutant Mickey!

Yes, they are absolutely real and they do work. As for wrong fingers, you can use whatever finger you want, as long as you always use the same finger when you go to a park. Also, they turn them off when the turnstiles get too busy, like at opening. The only way your finger will work on another ticket is if the ticket was bought in the same purchase, and sometimes not even then.

Best hold on to Your Hats and Glasses, 'cause this heres the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    As for retina scans - they are way too expensive, too bulky and the "read time" is far longer than a single finger scan. (Retina scans were first thought of in the 1930s!)
    Oh I know, the whole retina scan thing was just a joke!

• KING OF CABMF'S

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    Do these scanners really work? I've seen people use the wrong finger, not put in a finger on the sensor at all, etc., and still get in. Are these scanners primarily for show and really not sensitive at all? I wonder why they do not just put pics on the APs like in DL? (That, or seriously upgrade to retina scans....)

What have been your experiences with the finger scanners?
    if you saw people use the wrong finger, it may be the wrong finger for you (lets say you use your right index finger, and they used their left) but that may be their correct finger. and sometimes younger guests do not have to use the scanner, or if someone is using a one day pass, they may not have to use the scanner. trust me, security is very tight, and they do not let one thing go wrong when it comes to admission into the park.
    ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
    1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
    2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
    3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
    4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
    5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
    6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
    7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
    8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
    9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
    AND FINALLY...
    10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
    [:

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've never had a problem with them but I always laugh when I see people pushing down their finger hard on the scanning plate, like they're trying to push an invisible button or something.

• She was sweet as a peach

I like these finger scanners a lot more than the ones they used to have. (insert two fingers and squeeze.)

I always have my hand sanitizer out and ready to use as soon as we go though.

• I meant to do that.

Finger scanners rock. It seems the lines to get in the park at WDW are so much shorter and quicker compared with DLR.

• Disney Dreams

Well.....
    last Christmas I lost my Annual Pass about 10 feet from the finger scanners, so we went to Guest Relations to get a new one. Someone had gotten INTO the park with my old annual pass! Thankfully the old pass was canceled out, and I was able to get a new one. The CM explained that during very busy times ( such as Christmas ) the finger scanners are normally overridden, and anyone can get in without having to scan! Seems to me that busy times would be the BEST time to make sure they WORK, with all the traffic around the park... but I guess Disney wants people to start spending money as fast as possible
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I DO love the update to these from those annoying 2 finger scanners..... difficult to think we ever had those, now!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

A guest can also opt out of the biometric system. Then you use a signature on the passport and an ID to gain access to the parks.

• Keyvil Doctor

Window dressing. Pure BS hogwash. Just like the "security" bag checks. "I need to rummage through your diaper bag, Sir - (after my grubby gloved hand has just handled someone else's underwear in the previous bag) while meanwhile the "bagless" patron immediately behind us walks through with 30 pounds of C4 in her mastectomy bra.

Each time I take my 3 year old, a different CM places their finger on the scanner (for her ticket), and "magically" the gates of paradise open for us.
    And no, they did not override the system. If they were to do that (which would make infinitely more sense), there would be no need to place their own finger on the scanner.

Even more amusing is that they have asked me for ID several times when scanning the child's ticket, in order to "make sure an adult is present with the child". Well I'm 40, so hopefully I would qualify. Better scenario would be that they check ID on the way in AND out of the park, when someone is with a child. But I realize it's hard enough for them to find help competent enough to locate the proper ice cream bar icon on the cash register, let alone such an undertaking as that.

• I was deleted.

Well at least it is only one finger now and not two. I think that has helped improve lines. Although last week when entering Ep-ity-cot our side of the security check to turnstyles was moving and the left side was backed up. The guests were wondering why they weren't moving ... I think that just makes people ansy.

As far as security goes, I've only had one CM ask me for my ID upon entering at WDW and then she got upset when I wasn't ready with it because I could be asked for it (and she mumbled it so quickly when she asked too.) My makeup bag is ALWAYS opened or I'm asked to open it to inspect at DLR, but at WDW it has only happened a few times - but mainly camera bags are the only issues. But if they really wanted to start checking, they should stop all the males with their 7 pocket cargo shorts as I know how much some MiceChatters stuff in their shorts.

You know, there could be some bad batteries or something in their camera bag that's in their shorts...

• Elusive Member

I'm so happy they dropped the two-finger scan thing! DW has very small hands and it was a little painful for her to make the thing work. What
    about Facial Recognition Technology? Then we wouldn't need to carry cards at all. That's less plastic in the landfill too.
    The one and only...The Original...
    Mountain Man

• Keyvil Doctor

Facial Recognition Technology? It's called a State or Government issued Photo ID.
    Not only would the ID have the face, but also the name that should be the one matching the one on the ticket.

How long does it take for the finger scan deal - 5 seconds or so?
    How long would it take for to compare a ticket to a Photo ID- 5 seconds or so?

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    But if they really wanted to start checking, they should stop all the males with their 7 pocket cargo shorts as I know how much some MiceChatters stuff in their shorts.

You know, there could be some bad batteries or something in their camera bag that's in their shorts...

Heh.

They DID stop me on Saturday. I had my camera in one of the bottom leg pockes and the guard asked me what was in my pocket.

A REALLY smart aleck and off color (and quite funny) remark popped into my head, but I held back and just said "my camera".

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast