Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• May the F=ma be with you

More Trouble at DTD (Pipe bomb found) (Merged)

A suspicious incident occured at around 12 midnight at DTD resulting in a garbage can fire.
    Initial reports stated that a pipe bomb had gone off but Disney has denied this report.
    It is currently unclear exactly what ignited the fire. No injuries have been reported either.

My guess is a firework prank. I shall post more information as it becomes available.

http://www.local6.com/news/13605034/detail.html

*Edit*

According to http://www.wftv.com/news/13605330/detail.html, a CM heard an explosion and saw smoke coming from a waste receptical.

Here is the Orlando toilet paper Sentinel report of the OCSD press conference.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/commu...l_tab01_layout

Device similar to pipe bomb explodes at Disney

Walter Pacheco | Sentinel Staff Writer 11:14 AM EDT, July 2, 2007

Orange County deputies found a "low-level crude device" resembling a pipe bomb in a dumpster at a Downtown Disney parking lot early today.

Orange County Sheriff Kevin Beary said the homemade device blow the doors off a dumpster in the popular tourist spot.

"Our investigators found end caps, which usually indicate a pipe-bomb-like device," said Beary at a news conference this morning. "We believe this was not designed to cause significant property damage or injuries."

Beary said security at Downtown Disney has been increased not just because of the suspicious incident, but also because of the recent terrorist activity overseas.

"Once we saw things unfolding in the U.K. and Glasgow, and the fact that it's July 4 th, we increased security," said Beary.

He added that "this is not connected to any sophisticated plot, either domestically or internationally.

A Disney employee told deputies that at about 12:30 a.m. he heard a noise and saw smoke coming from a dumpster in a remote part of Downtown Disney, according to a sheriff's office press release. When deputies arrived, they secured the area and later reported no damage or injuries.

Earlier news reports speculated that the package was a pipe bomb; however, deputies are not releasing any other information until the press conference.

Downtown Disney is a popular spot frequented by tourists and locals for its shopping and entertainment, but last week, some of its security policies came under fire.

Walt Disney World on June 27 ejected four of Florida State University's top football prospects - including the son of a Disney manager and the son of a Philadelphia civil-rights lawyer - from Downtown Disney under its anti-gang, no-loitering policy and banned them from entering the theme parks for life.

After Disney officials were questioned about security and the use of racial profiling to target and drive out minority youth, they decided to revise the trespass warnings so that the four are banned only from Downtown Disney for one year.
    Last edited by WDW Monorail; 07-02-2007 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• This space for rent

Crude bomb explodes at Downtown Disney

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Crude bomb explodes at Downtown Disney

Wow, when I saw this topic, I thought it was a hoax, but there it is at the top of OrlandoSentinel.com!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: More Trouble at DTD (Pipe bomb found)

WTF is going on at DTD lately?

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Overall, not a lot.

DisneyQuest wasn't on fire.
    Tourists who were "abducted" didn't want to pursue the "case"
    Drunk guy goes swimming (stupid, yes)
    More security for some harassment of guests (nothing I've ever witnessed there)
    Small device in an area that isn't that busy with tourists (in trash can)

There is just so much focus on Downtown Disney now, the very last thing could be a ticked-off kid or something. I don't feel uncomfortable there (but anything can happen anywhere - it's good to be alert no matter where you go).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Defying gravity

I was thinking that same thing!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    Overall, not a lot.

There is just so much focus on Downtown Disney now, the very last thing could be a ticked-off kid or something. I don't feel uncomfortable there (but anything can happen anywhere - it's good to be alert no matter where you go).
    Normally I'd say since it's at Disney it just generates more exposure compared to your everyday city life. But this is too many events in a relatively short timespan. And that makes me raise my eyebrows.

• Banned User

Hundred million dollars say it was a prank gone wrong.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

• Little Miss Sunshine

Normally I'd say since it's at Disney it just generates more exposure compared to your everyday city life. But this is too many events in a relatively short timespan. And that makes me raise my eyebrows.
    But most of those incidents weren't necessarily incidents. Drunk guy, not really much to report on that. DisneyQuest - didn't happen (car was on fire, as I recall?). So knock those two right off. Abduction - might not have happened. I'm knocking that off.

The ONLY thing that appears to really be happening is some harassment (perceived or real, I have not personally witnessed or been part of it) of some guests at Downtown Disney. And this - some small device in a trash can not near where the average tourist will go.

I just don't like to see people panic. I feel very safe at Downtown Disney. That doesn't mean that nothing can happen. It's good to be aware of your surroundings - at your supermarket, at Disney, anywhere. Security can't be everywhere. You could have a fortress, and it doesn't matter.

Anyway, hope they catch the person/people involved with this too!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Device similar to pipe bomb explodes near Downtown Disney

orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-bk-package070207,0,6788370.story?coll=orl_tab01_layou t
    OrlandoSentinel.com

Device similar to pipe bomb explodes near Downtown Disney

Walter Pacheco and April Hunt
    Orlando Sentinel Staff Writers
    July 2, 2007

Orange County deputies found a "low-level crude device" resembling a pipe bomb in a trash can at a Downtown Disney parking lot early today.

"Our investigators found end caps, which usually indicate a pipe-bomb-like device," said Orange County Sheriff Kevin Beary at a news conference this morning. "We believe this was not designed to cause significant property damage or injuries."

In an earlier version of this story, Sheriff Beary incorrectly reported that the homemade device blew the doors off a dumpster in the popular tourist spot at Walt Disney World. No doors were blown off and the receptacle was a trash can, said Orange County spokesman Capt. Mark Strobridge.

Beary said security has been increased county-wide not just because of the suspicious incident, but also because of the recent terrorist activity overseas.

"Once we saw things unfolding in the U.K. and Glasgow, and the fact that it's July 4th, we increased security," said Beary.

He added that "this is not connected to any sophisticated [terrorist] plot, either domestically or internationally."

A Disney security officer on bike patrol called deputies at about 12:30 a.m. he heard a noise and saw white smoke coming from a garbage can in a back lot at of Downtown Disney, said Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty.

The garbage can is in the far lot behind the Cirque du Soleil theater, going toward the golf course at the Saratoga Springs Resort, Prunty said. There are no attractions or shops in that area.

When deputies arrived, they secured the area and later reported no damage or injuries.

"The only damage was to the garbage can," Prunty said.

Downtown Disney is a popular spot frequented by tourists and locals for its shopping and entertainment, but last week, some of its security policies came under fire.

Walt Disney World ejected four of Florida State University's top football prospects - including the son of a Disney manager and the son of a Philadelphia civil-rights lawyer - from Downtown Disney under its anti-gang, no-loitering policy and banned them from entering the theme parks for life.

After Disney officials were questioned about security and the use of racial profiling to target and drive out minority youth, they decided to revise the trespass warnings so that the four are banned only from Downtown Disney for one year.

Copyright 2007, Orlando Sentinel

Re: Device similar to pipe bomb explodes near Downtown Disney

Wow. That banning was a little much at first. Were they the kids who set off the bomb?
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: Device similar to pipe bomb explodes near Downtown Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbadunne View Post
    Wow. That banning was a little much at first. Were they the kids who set off the bomb?
    Nobody has been caught yet.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    Overall, not a lot.

Absolutely.

This is mostly a lot of babble over not much substance ... I am not afraid at DD ... except to see what they've ruined next!

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Absolutely.

This is mostly a lot of babble over not much substance ... I am not afraid at DD ... except to see what they've ruined next!
    Which do you find ruined?

I actually quite enjoy Downtown Disney (Cirque, DisneyQuest, AMC, etc.) I like the Marketplace, although I'm not as big a fan of PI. I do enjoy the Adventurers Club every now and then, but I'd prefer to have more Raglan Road type establishments.

I also wonder, in a normal year, if a guy swimming at Downtown Disney would even be news. I can't imagine he's the first person to take a dip in the lake while drunk.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast