Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mrs. Antonelli

Wilderness Lodge or Polynesian?

My boyfriend and I are in the midst of planning our second trip to WDW in January again. We already have reservations for the Wilderness Lodge, but we were thinking of changing it to the Polynesian instead. When we went this past January, we stayed at Pop Century, so either resort would be a better choice.

I was just wondering what opinions you guys have. I am hearing little hints from my boyfriend that this could be the trip that we get engaged on, so I know that he wants our stay to be even more special than our last trip down there. Thanks!

• Banned User

Re: Wilderness Lodge or Polynesian?

They both are excellent, high quality, well themed resorts. Polynesian is a little bit better but it also costs a little more too.

Polynesian Resort has Ohanas which is an excellent reasturant, monorail service to Magic Kingdom in the main lobby, and other cool amenities.

• Little Miss Sunshine

They are both very nice. Personally, for an engagement type trip, I'd take the Polynesian. Also, the Polynesian garden view isn't that much more expensive than a WL courtyard view (but the rooms are much larger). The cheaper rooms at the WL are standard view, which could mean a parking lot/dumpster view from your balcony.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Pathetically Obsessed

I'm currently planning our family's first-ever trip to WDW and we chose the Poly for the last portion of our stay.

When we first got married, we couldn't afford to go to Hawaii for our honeymoon. I've promised that we would go after our WDW trip, but I'm booking us in the the Poly as a 'warm up' for the real thing!

The other thing that was not mentioned in post #2 is that the Poly hosts the luau "The Spirit of Aloha", which we are interested in as well.
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

This is the ultimate choice. The Wilderness Lodge is a little less expensive, if that helps at all. Both can be equally as romantic, and even though the Polynesian has Ohana, the Wilderness Lodge has Artist Point and the Whispering Canyon Cafe, for something a little more boisterous.

Also, even though the monorail is a big draw for the Polynesian, the water launch in the morning to the Magic Kingdom is wonderful as well.

Overall, I would have to say if you can splurge, go with the Poly. But Wilderness Lodge is a onderful alternative too. I actually changed my August reservation from the Polynesian to the Wilderness Lodge for various reasons.

Either way, good luck! You will not be disappointed in either!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Banned User

both are very popular and difficult to get rooms at. good luck with reservations and have a great trip!!

• Beer is good beer.

I've stayed at both and I prefer the Polynesian over the Wilderness Lodge. The location is perfect - you can take the Monorail, a launch or the ferry to the Magic Kingdom. You can walk to the Ticket & Transporation Center and hop on the Epcot Monorail. The atmosphere is so submersive - I've been to Hawaii several times and I swear the Polynesian is more Hawaiian than Hawaii is.

Good luck with your decision! Have a great time!
    M A S E C A !

• Minion

I've stayed at neither. However, we chose the Poly for this year's October trip for several reasons...
    1. Monorail.
    2. Neverland Kid club.
    3. Monorail.
    4. Luau.
    5. Monorail.
    6. Renewed vows there last year and were very impressed with the romantic atmosphere.

1,3,5 and 6 are the biggest reasons.

• KING OF CABMF'S

Quote Originally Posted by jcboyzgirl02 View Post
    My boyfriend and I are in the midst of planning our second trip to WDW in January again. We already have reservations for the Wilderness Lodge, but we were thinking of changing it to the Polynesian instead. When we went this past January, we stayed at Pop Century, so either resort would be a better choice.

I was just wondering what opinions you guys have. I am hearing little hints from my boyfriend that this could be the trip that we get engaged on, so I know that he wants our stay to be even more special than our last trip down there. Thanks!
    Both, as said umerous times, are both very luxurious resorts. I would recommend the polynesian. you have not only fast access to the makic kingdom, but there are also more amentities to choose from and the lobby is better themed as well as the rooms (some of which have been refurbiched) if i had to choose, i would definitely pick the polynesian. also you can watch the fireworks from the beach and possible your own hotel room balcony. have fun on your trip
    ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
    1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
    2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
    3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
    4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
    5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
    6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
    7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
    8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
    9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
    AND FINALLY...
    10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
    [:

• Swice

I'd go poly...

but take time one day to hotel hop. Take the buses, boats to visit and walk around all of the resorts. Each one has something to offer and then you can start planning your honeymoon!

They are both great choices, although the WL IS my fave resort.

But the one thing that pushes me into saying WL is that you say your going in January. It can be very, very cold that time of year and if it is, the WL just has a better feel. If you're staying at the Poly and it's frigid, well you kind of feel it more because you have to walk outside to get to the individual longhouses and it has a tropical feel/theme ... so if it's 52 degrees for a high, everything feels off.

I hope I'm making my point clear here.

I stayed at WL for eight days in 1/96 when the temps never went much above 60 every day with cold NW winds. I felt like I was in the right place.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    They are both great choices, although the WL IS my fave resort.

But the one thing that pushes me into saying WL is that you say your going in January. It can be very, very cold that time of year and if it is, the WL just has a better feel. If you're staying at the Poly and it's frigid, well you kind of feel it more because you have to walk outside to get to the individual longhouses and it has a tropical feel/theme ... so if it's 52 degrees for a high, everything feels off.

I hope I'm making my point clear here.

I stayed at WL for eight days in 1/96 when the temps never went much above 60 every day with cold NW winds. I felt like I was in the right place.
    I never thought of that, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense.

When I walked though the WL recently I did think to myself - I would love to stay here in New Hampshire. I never thought to stay there in "winter"

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    I never thought of that, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense.

When I walked though the WL recently I did think to myself - I would love to stay here in New Hampshire. I never thought to stay there in "winter"

-dave
    Dave ... I've stayed at WL more than any other deluxe resort, so I've hit it in every season, every weather condition and enjoyed them all.

It's great when the weather is hot with the great pool areas and beach ... same when it's warm. All the rockwork and trees make it feel cooler. And when it's cold out, it feels so nice and toasty by the fireplaces (there are three smaller ones on floors 3-5, in addition to the big one in the lobby). The bar is also quite cozy when the weather feels un-Fla. like.

The Poly is great when the weather is tropical. One of my best memories is sitting in the concierge lounge with my girlfriend and folks and watching a very nasty summer thunderstorm build over the Seven Seas Lagoon ... it started slowly and then in few minutes you couldn't see the MK ... then the GF disappeared ... finally you couldn't see much beyond the beach. All while Poly music played and the drinks flowed. That was magical.

But when the weather is cold I feel like I'm a fish out of water there. Everyone is different but I couldn't enjoy a stay there if there was frost on the cars in the morning, like at the WL ... but there, it just felt ... well, right.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Dave ... I've stayed at WL more than any other deluxe resort, so I've hit it in every season, every weather condition and enjoyed them all.

It's great when the weather is hot with the great pool areas and beach ... same when it's warm. All the rockwork and trees make it feel cooler. And when it's cold out, it feels so nice and toasty by the fireplaces (there are three smaller ones on floors 3-5, in addition to the big one in the lobby). The bar is also quite cozy when the weather feels un-Fla. like.

The Poly is great when the weather is tropical. One of my best memories is sitting in the concierge lounge with my girlfriend and folks and watching a very nasty summer thunderstorm build over the Seven Seas Lagoon ... it started slowly and then in few minutes you couldn't see the MK ... then the GF disappeared ... finally you couldn't see much beyond the beach. All while Poly music played and the drinks flowed. That was magical.

But when the weather is cold I feel like I'm a fish out of water there. Everyone is different but I couldn't enjoy a stay there if there was frost on the cars in the morning, like at the WL ... but there, it just felt ... well, right.
    It makes sense, and I know the WL is supposed to be northwest, but I am an east coaster, and dang it, I am sticking it in the White Mountains of NH in my mind

I know what you are saying about the storms too. Just yesterday I was sitting in Shutters in Caribbean Beach with a window table looking out across the lake. As I ate shrimp and drank gin and tonics (yes, rum would have been approiate, but I felt like gin) I watched the sky grow dark over towards Epcot (where by the way they were running I:ROE music and lighting tests well past midnight on Saturday) and a huge summer storm roll in untill you could barely see across the lake. A very calming end to my trip. Although I was hoping my 9:50 flight would not be delayed (it was not )

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

It makes sense, and I know the WL is supposed to be northwest, but I am an east coaster, and dang it, I am sticking it in the White Mountains of NH in my mind
    I grew up close to those mountains. Even climbed up and down Mount Washington in one very long day in 1990. And barely lived to tell the tale!

But I've since fallen in love with the California mountains. Totally different feel! And once you've been to Yosemite's Alwahnee Lodge, you feel a very close kinship when you're at Disney's WL.

I know what you are saying about the storms too. Just yesterday I was sitting in Shutters in Caribbean Beach with a window table looking out across the lake. As I ate shrimp and drank gin and tonics (yes, rum would have been approiate, but I felt like gin) I watched the sky grow dark over towards Epcot (where by the way they were running I:ROE music and lighting tests well past midnight on Saturday) and a huge summer storm roll in untill you could barely see across the lake. A very calming end to my trip. Although I was hoping my 9:50 flight would not be delayed (it was not )

-dave
    Will there be a trip report? Or better yet, an observations thread? (I personally prefer those and write them because no one needs to know when you took a bathroom break or got a FastPass for Big THunder!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast