Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Condition of River Country

I went to high school in the Orlando area in the late 70's. River Country was a favorite hang out. Loved the water slides and there was always a volleyball game to join in the shallows near the bridge that divided RC from Bay Lake.

Ahh memories. I'll be going through the photo albums tonight.

Even though RC is (mostly) closed off, it's sad to see it this way. I would've much preferred that Disney just tear it out than watch it slowly rot.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    I think I've had enough of this thread.
    Yeah. You kind of look like you could use a drink.

And not of Bay Lake H20 either.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Money does not fall from the sky.

These things all take money, somtimes a suprizing amount of money

-dave
    I agree with you on this. No reason to spend gobs of money on an unused attraction.

On the other hand, assuming that parts of it are visible, and look nasty, the least they could do is attempt to hide those parts behind a fence of some sort. An inexpensive, halfway decent looking privacy fence of some kind would have to be better than letting people see an eyesore.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    It always winds up costing a whole lot more to deal with things after they've been neglected for years, than it does to just maintain them.

River Country now is going to cost a whole lot more to deal with (no matter what they do) now than in 2001-02.

River Country was built broken (by todays standards). It's not heated and it's water supply comes from the lake.

This used to be the standard. Many many watery amusements took water from natural sources. Heck, the famous Palisades Park salt water pool used to pump directly from the Hudson River. People don't want that now though. People like things overly sanitized. Thats why the smear anitbacterial soap and hand sanitizer all over themselves.

You may have fond memories of it. I have fond memories of swimming in lakes and streams and removing the occassional leech. But people today, thats like torture to them.

To bring RC up to todays standards it would have to be torn down completely and rebuilt from scratch.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Minion

I managed to get to RC just before it closed. I really liked the naturalness of it. I went past it just last month on the boat from Wilderness Lodge to MK and I didn't think it looked too bad from there. I also thought (I'm the only oddball) that the pictures look kind of neat. But, I like post-Apocalyptic stuff.
    I want my cake back!

• Banned User

i thought it was closed because it would cost too much to bring it up to code water wise. you can't swim in bay lake because of the bugs that now live in lakes and rivers in florida. health department regulations stated all water had to be clorinated or treated and it would cost too much to do it at RC. It is sad to see it so dilapidated at least they could take out the slides and docks and let it go back to wetlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Oh, you can tell. I've driven many boats over there. The fishing pontoons can see that area very clearly. Sorry, but I don't agree with that area just sitting there rotting. It may not add to the park capacity, but it could add to the capacity of the number one campground in the world.
    I have news for you Bill, there's a whole lot of land just sitting there "rotting". Many people, including myself, have fond memories of RC, but it just wasn't that special. It's easy for you and others to say how easy it would have been for Disney to maintain RC for this use or that use, but I'm guessing it wasn't that easy or else they would have kept it open. Sure, opine, that's why this site is here, but how about adding a little common sense to the discourse.

• Pilot EdForceOne

You really gotta look for this to see it.. and from the distance you can't see much.

River Country was awesome in its day... but it's day was back when you did so many more activities around the MK area outside the parks... water craft... canoeing... horseback riding.. etc.

Now the MK area is just one portion of the resort.. and there are tons more activities in the parks alone.

This will not be so expensive to 'clean up' vs maintain.. because they'll just flat out bulldoze the place eventually. Dig it up.. fill it in.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

It reminds me a a place around here called "The Old Mill Bathing Beach"

It was a big pit dug in the ground, lined with sand, and filled with water. It had picnic areas, platform diving, slides, etc. It's been closed for some time now. It was a fun place for its time, but is no where near the waterparks that are available now.
    I always wanted to go there when I was little.

I just believe that so many times less can really me more. There's no need for super flashy all the time. I don't buy the story that "today's kids won't be excited" because it is absolute BS. Too many times have seen today's kids entertained by very simple means. I really regret not going to River Country when I had the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I always wanted to go there when I was little.

I just believe that so many times less can really me more. There's no need for super flashy all the time. I don't buy the story that "today's kids won't be excited" because it is absolute BS. Too many times have seen today's kids entertained by very simple means. I really regret not going to River Country when I had the chance.

I never said that kids would not like it. Kids would like it. Most parents would hate it. Junior might actualy get dirty. Or even *gasp* scratched.

It's not a matter of being flashy. It was a sand bottom, unheated, lake water (albeit it - filtered lake water) park. A lot of people live in a plastic fantastic sanitized world and something like that would cause them heart palpatations.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

River Country was built broken (by todays standards). It's not heated and it's water supply comes from the lake.

This used to be the standard. Many many watery amusements took water from natural sources. Heck, the famous Palisades Park salt water pool used to pump directly from the Hudson River. People don't want that now though. People like things overly sanitized. Thats why the smear anitbacterial soap and hand sanitizer all over themselves.

You may have fond memories of it. I have fond memories of swimming in lakes and streams and removing the occassional leech. But people today, thats like torture to them.

To bring RC up to todays standards it would have to be torn down completely and rebuilt from scratch.

-dave
    I don't recall ever hearing people complaining about RC's natural lakewater, which always felt nice and cool in the spring!

The water was filtered, even if it came from Bay Lake, and I disagree wholeheartedly with your point about people not wanting to swim in the natural stuff ... if so, no one would ever go to a beach at a lake or the ocean or a river etc ... and WDW guests (notorious for allowing their brats to urinate, defacate, blow their noses etc ... in resort pools) just don't seem all that concerned with hygiene and sanitizing.

I see where you're coming from, I just don't think it has one thing to do with Disney's decision to close the park or its relevance today if it were open.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    i thought it was closed because it would cost too much to bring it up to code water wise. you can't swim in bay lake because of the bugs that now live in lakes and rivers in florida. health department regulations stated all water had to be clorinated or treated and it would cost too much to do it at RC. It is sad to see it so dilapidated at least they could take out the slides and docks and let it go back to wetlands.
    Nope. That's just Internet/urban/CM/Disney geek myth ...

River Country was perfectly safe when it closed in 2001.

There were no regulations that Disney was in any violation of ... the parasite you are referencing is present in almost all Florida freshwater bodies, but it's danger has been greatly overstated ... look at it this way, no one swimming at RC (or before they stopped allowing it, in Bay Lake itself and the Seven Seas Lagoon) EVER got ill and died from it. No one. Ever.

Again, this is one of those myths that has a tiny grain of truth to it and takes on a life of its own ... kinda like the dark spotted section on the Swan and Dolphin being space for monorail stations ... or the turrets on Cindy's being removable in hurricanes. It's just a bunch of bull.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    kinda like the dark spotted section on the Swan and Dolphin being space for monorail station.
    I had a WDW bus driver announce that to the entire bus the other day.

They auto spiel was broken (thank heaven) and he was doing "trivia" and he goes. "See those dark spots in the Swan and Dolphin, those are there so the monorail can go though. It's in the long range park plans"

That was the first time I heard that and my first though was how the heck would the get the monorail that high and why would they want to and where are they going to run the track the way the thing is oriented.

-dave

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Not to mention that the square in the Dolphin is at least three times larger (height) than needed. I did a project on the Dolphin for school this semester. I could not find anything released by Graves with any indication of a monorail near the resorts.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    Instead they replaced it with a much better attraction. I'm sure we can all agree that Typhoon Lagoon was a far superior water park in every way.
    Given that for several years all three water parks were operating, I don't think that you can really say that Blizzard Beach replaced River Country.

While you really have to work at seeing what the park looks like today, I did think it was strange that the locker/shower areas are still accessable. We attended Minnie's BBQ during our last visit to WDW and these were the bathroom facilities. There were actually things stored in there. It reminded me of when I worked at a day camp. This is how things would look on the first day when we came in to set things up.

My guess is that the closure was meant to be temporary in the rush to cut costs after 9/11. However, as time went by the costs to reopen the park increased and the possible return on investment decreased. Therefore, the closure became permanent.

Furthermore, I'm sure that the lawyers pushed to keep the place closed. Looking back on the video, I was reminded of a Tom Sawyer's Island on steriods. I also would think that lack of clear water made the life guarding more difficult. How would they see if someone went down, especially in a crowded situation? This probably limited the maximum occupancy and further decreased its profit potential.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast