Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Condition of River Country

I find it amazing all those people slamming RC who never went there. It was an awesome place. All those aspects people like about Blizzard Beach in the kid area were all there in RC... the swings.. etc.

The pool area was great.. had these slides that had a huge drop into the pool. The water areas.. the slides.. etc.

It was never 'flithy' or yucky or anything. You didn't have the vegetation growing in the water like you did in the unkept areas of the lake. It was a great experience.. a perfect match for the Fort Wilderness area.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

And I still maintain that the White Water Rapids was the best raft ride, and still beats the current raft rides at TL and BB
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    I've never gone to River Country nor seen it in its prime... so these photos are quite sad. I do understand that the location is blocked off and isn't visible to guests anymore. That is why it's fine for this location to kind of sit and rot, as you might say. There is no implication that this land will be turned back into River Country anytime soon, let alone another water park so it isn't really hurting anyone in its current form. If Disney does decide to do something with this land, chances are great they'll bulldoze a lot of it or around some areas, empty out the water and such anyway so that shouldn't really be a concern. Yes, it is quite sad to see and look at - but I'd rather they maintain other areas since River Country was originally closed to help with costs, no?

The photos with the single yellow raft look... sad.
    Here are some pics of River Country:

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Parisi View Post
    Here are some pics of River Country:

It reminds me a lot of the old Action Park

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park

A lot of what looks like - and I will make up a term here - uncontrolled rides.

When a slide ends above the water like that, there are dozens of ways a person can enter the water - some of which hurt. The ride does not control the positioning of the user, the user controls the positioning. Rope swings, zip lines, and wide water slides are also like this.

Now I LOVED Action Park. It was pure mayham, and fun. I allways had a blast whenever I went to it. But people did get hurt, myself included. I had to struggle once after I came off a rope swing "wrong" and ended up with one leg going numb.

I can see why, if RC was anything like Action Park, why Management may be a little leery about it. For those of you who did exprence it, were the rides like this? Not unsafe, but "uncontrolled" where if you did something stupid, the chance to injure yourself was there?

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park

A lot of what looks like - and I will make up a term here - uncontrolled rides.

When a slide ends above the water like that, there are dozens of ways a person can enter the water - some of which hurt. The ride does not control the positioning of the user, the user controls the positioning. Rope swings, zip lines, and wide water slides are also like this.

Now I LOVED Action Park. It was pure mayham, and fun. I allways had a blast whenever I went to it. But people did get hurt, myself included. I had to struggle once after I came off a rope swing "wrong" and ended up with one leg going numb.

I can see why, if RC was anything like Action Park, why Management may be a little leery about it. For those of you who did exprence it, were the rides like this? Not unsafe, but "uncontrolled" where if you did something stupid, the chance to injure yourself was there?

-dave
    I loved Action Park... The canonball slide was great, and the rope swing was fun, but DAMN was that water cold....

Now as far as river country, I am not sure I ever remember anyone getting seriously hurt here, I just think with the additions of Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, both much larger waterparks, they had no need for this tiny water park.

Quote Originally Posted by Parisi View Post
    I loved Action Park... The canonball slide was great, and the rope swing was fun, but DAMN was that water cold....

Oh man was it ever.

I dropped in there once and it was so cold it felt like i was swimming in molasses. My muscles just shut right down.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

This whole thread coupled with typical miserable summer Florida weather has really gotten me sad about how River Country has been taken away.

I am so glad I spent parts of five days there in May 2001, the last visits ... well, the last ones when the park was open anyway.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Wow, that's so terribly saddening to me. I remember taking a boat from the Contemporary as a kid and swimming the day away on vacation at River Country.

Taking that rope swing and dropping into the water made me feel like Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn. River Country wasn't just a water park for me, it was an adventure, with so many things to do down at the "watering hole"

I understand that we need to move forward and progress but if they aren't going to do anything with it, at least tear the darn thing down, don't leave it the way it is now. Just incredibly sad.

I had a WDW bus driver announce that to the entire bus the other day.

They auto spiel was broken (thank heaven) and he was doing "trivia" and he goes. "See those dark spots in the Swan and Dolphin, those are there so the monorail can go though. It's in the long range park plans"

That was the first time I heard that and my first though was how the heck would the get the monorail that high and why would they want to and where are they going to run the track the way the thing is oriented.

-dave
    This is one of the most ridiculous Internet/CM/stupid guest myths that simply won't go away. A simple glance at the hotels should do that for anyone with an ounce of common sense (yes, I realize that leaves out a great many WDW CMs and guests!)

The truth is simple.

There was a plan for monorail expansion from Epcot to the Disney-MGM Studios with a stop at the Epcot Resorts (one stop that would have been roughly in front of the Yacht Club Convention Center). This expansion was considered so likely that monorail beam 'footers' were planted along the route (yes, they're still there to my knowledge so go dig em up!).

But NEVER, EVER, EVER was there any plan for monorails to go through any hotels and it would be pretty impossible to do so at Swan and Dolphin, yet the rumor obviously continues.

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    I understand that we need to move forward and progress but if they aren't going to do anything with it, at least tear the darn thing down, don't leave it the way it is now. Just incredibly sad.
    Summer, who knew 'progress' was so depressing and bleak?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Summer, who knew 'progress' was so depressing and bleak?

I would have to agree with you on that, it seems like such a waste of what once was a lively and entertaining location. So many memories there for me I just can't imagine it being the way it is in the photos. I guess I'm too sentimental that way. LOL

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Nope. That's just Internet/urban/CM/Disney geek myth ...

River Country was perfectly safe when it closed in 2001.

There were no regulations that Disney was in any violation of ... the parasite you are referencing is present in almost all Florida freshwater bodies, but it's danger has been greatly overstated ... look at it this way, no one swimming at RC (or before they stopped allowing it, in Bay Lake itself and the Seven Seas Lagoon) EVER got ill and died from it. No one. Ever.

I stand corrected. I always thought it would be a good idea to keep it open as a swimming area for Fort wilderness , if it's not going to be used then tear it down and let the area become wetlands.

ACTION PARK IS CLOSED?!?!?!?!!?!?!? I loved action park.

Quote Originally Posted by Nom View Post
    ACTION PARK IS CLOSED?!?!?!?!!?!?!? I loved action park.

Not as such,

It was taken over by the people who took over the whole Vernon Valley/Great Gorge Ski area.

Its now called Mountain Creek Waterpark (and the Ski Area is called Mountain Creek Ski Area)

It was shuttered for about a year or two. I have not been back since Mountain Creek took over, but supposedly it is a lot safer and up to code now.

Notice I did not say better now, there was some thrill about knowing about all the broken bones, burns, sprains, contusions, and yes deaths that came out of that park, and STILL going on the rides.

-dave

I just read the Wiki entry on it--- I can imagine dying on those alpine slide things... I was always terrified on them! I remember the hay bales- I did not realize that was why they were there!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234