Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Defying gravity

Wink What would Florida be without WDW?

How great of an affect do you think that WDW has had on Florida? It certainly has built the Orlando area, which, before Disney, was nothing but miles and miles of swamp land. Is Florida really just a "tourist" state?

• Why can't you tune a fish

Re: What would Florida be without WDW?

Florida has a lot of "Snowbirds" - retired people who summer in the northern states and winter in Florida.

Coco Beach is also popular, as is Datona - for the beach and for NASCAR as well.

The keys are a very popular vacation spot as well.

There are also many many more things to do/see in Florida.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Former Epcot CM

Dead.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Blog Entries

Florida would still be a popular tourist location but I'm not sure Orlando would be much more than it was back then. The beautiful beaches of Florida would always draw people to them, but the places between the beaches may not have been much.

A very different place.

And, yeah, better in some ways. No doubt about it.

• KING OF CABMF'S

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    How great of an affect do you think that WDW has had on Florida? It certainly has built the Orlando area, which, before Disney, was nothing but miles and miles of swamp land. Is Florida really just a "tourist" state?
    Florida, to me, is probably the biggest tourist area in the country, because of Walt disney. it makes me proud to say i live in florida because this is a place that people dream of living in. Without Walt Disney and his creation of Disney world right here in orlando, universal studios, sea world, and many more famous tourism areas would have never come to be here in florida. before 1971, florida was just beaches. but after walt disney world, florida became known as the theme park area, so without disney world, universal and sea world might be in california or some other state, because of the fact that disney world sparked a chain reaction that tourism companies realized they had to build a park here because of the many tourists visiting florida so often.
    ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
    1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
    2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
    3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
    4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
    5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
    6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
    7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
    8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
    9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
    AND FINALLY...
    10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
    [:

• World Traveler

I have a feeling that if Disney had not built a theme park in Florida, someone else would have built one eventually.

• This space for rent

Like others have said there's more to Florida than Disney, just like there's more to do in California than the DLR.

I think there would still be theme and amusement parks in other parts of the state reguardless of Disney. Cypress Gardens, and Silver Springs, Weeki Wachee, Gatorland, Marineland, and Miami Seaquarium were all already going strong well before Disney arrived. Busch Gardens already had an attraction on the west coast before Disney. The Vistor Complex at Kennedy Space Center was bound to have happened due to a majority of the country's space program being based there. As was already mentioned the beaches will always be an attraction in this state.

I think there would definately be 1 or more Six Flags/Cedar Fair types of parks here in this state too had not Disney come to Florida. I also believe Sea World or something very similar would have come to the state due to it being mostly surrounded by sea water and the different aquatic life of it's coasts.

Blog Entries

Yes someone would have built something, but would it have been a theme park or just a six flags type amusement park.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    I have a feeling that if Disney had not built a theme park in Florida, someone else would have built one eventually.
    While it is true that Disneyland was the first theme park, Disney really created the idea of a "resort" and overall vacation destination when they built Walt Disney World.

I ran across this interesting article that somewhat pertains to this thread. It's also just an interesting read!
    http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0703/feature4/index.html

• Banned User

My answer to the original question would be: a better place to live.. NO traffic, NO dumb tourists making left turns from right lanes, NO horribly dressed UKers, MORE green pastures and biomasses, CLEANER air and atmosphere, MORE privacy and LESS crime.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    My answer to the original question would be: a better place to live.. NO traffic, NO dumb tourists making left turns from right lanes, NO horribly dressed UKers, MORE green pastures and biomasses, CLEANER air and atmosphere, MORE privacy and LESS crime.
    How does Mickey bring crime to the area?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    And not quite the airline business there to let you live there..

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you..

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    How does Mickey bring crime to the area?

Mickey brings tourists - tourists who have lots of cash, and are more interested in having fun than "keeping their guard up" - that in turn brings the predators.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Mickey brings tourists - tourists who have lots of cash, and are more interested in having fun than "keeping their guard up" - that in turn brings the predators.

-dave
    Exactly.

I've been a Floridian since I was an elementary school child. I grew up in the state. I went to college in the state. And I've remained in the state.

I'm very happy WDW exists.

But it has brought loads of problems with it.

Most that have happened in the last 10-15 years as WDW has overbuilt itself and has spurred uncontrolled growth in every possible area nearby.

The idea that The Mouse is a great neighbor who causes money to rain down from the heavens like pixie dust simply is as absurd as the idea WDW follows the same standards it did 20 years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast