Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Magic Kingdom...why bother?

So I am wondering for my third trip to WDW if visiting MK is even worth it?

I am planning a couple hours to visit the Stitch and Phillharmagic attractions (they are new since my visit in 2000) and COP if it is operating, but with all I am reading, and never having been a big fan of the MK (Huge Disneyland fan), what else is there to do there, is it worth a full day?

BTW I am an adult traveling without children.
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Re: Magic Kingdom...why bother?

Dear Mega,

Do you seriously take everything said on the boards as gospel?

If such is the case...can I have fifty bucks, for I, ah, really need it.

I'm waiting....

of course you're not going to give me 50 bucks, there's no reason to. Same with the boards. I just finished publishing something similar over for Pacha who was also hesistant to head to Magic Kingdom due to MCs collective concerns over the current state of Florida's parks.

Don't listen to us.

The fact of the matter is--we LOVE Disney and want only the best from the company. So we are going to be highly critical, it only makes sense.

But those are only opinions.

The park is the park. YOU add the emotion and feeling needed when you go. If you love it, great, forget us. If you find mistakes, that's yours to find.

But don't let us hinder your having fun.

I wish I could go with you frankly.

Enjoy yourself! Smile if you wish! We won't mind! I say, keep your options open! You wanna stay the whole day, by all means, do so! Meet the cast members! Take a tour!

In the end, I'd let your heart pull the agenda, not us.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

I personally love MK and wouldn't miss it for anything, even if the "flaws" many have pointed out/created on this board (most of which I never would have noticed) are valid, I still think it's "magical."

Please stop bashing WDW, West Coasters. thank you. Please come again.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    Please stop bashing WDW, West Coasters. thank you. Please come again.
    Magic Kingdom sucks.

As always, we are always going to be critical of everything. That's been the MiceAge/MiceChat spin for the last few years. Remember, if every discussion was rosy, MC would get really boring, really quick.

Go, and have a good time, and do MK.
    -Monorail Man

• Minion

I visited MK last year, before I became familiar with all these Disney sites and became more "informed." Suffice it to say I noticed very little of the criticisms voiced at this site. Some things I did notice...the empty "skyway" building in Fantasyland, the cheap Pooh playground, and the outdated look of Tomorrowland (I didn't spend time in Adventureland because Pirates were closed and I had no interest in the ugly Aladdin overlay). Of the rides themselves I had no complaints...I certainly wasn't discerning enough to find many of flaws Al and Kevin have pointed out. Philharmagic and Splash Mt. were the best parts of my day.

• Done and Gone

Roo719 makes a great point. Its you, the visitor that makes the experience.

Nothing will ever compare to DL for me because its where I made all my memories as a child and growing up. (and its 45 mins from home.)

BUT I love the MK! I love WDW! I would never base my trip plans on the experiences and opinions of others. I will consider what everyone says, but in the end I will create my own experience.

Plan your trip more on the time you have to spend there, and on your favorite attractions and most of all, have fun!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney View Post

I am planning a couple hours to visit the Stitch and Phillharmagic attractions (they are new since my visit in 2000) and COP if it is operating, but with all I am reading, and never having been a big fan of the MK (Huge Disneyland fan), what else is there to do there, is it worth a full day?

You know, I not so sure the the OP is talking about skipping MK due to complaints on this board.

Let's look at some interesting info in the initial post...
    He/she is an adult traveling without children, hasn't been a big fan of MK in the past and apparently visits DL frequently. Given the fact that DL and MK are very similar to each other, along with the other interesting info I pointed out, might actually be good reasons to skip MK, or spend a limited amount of time there on this trip. Perhaps spending some of that MK time at Epcot or AK would be a better choice in this case?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Even though MK needs a good scrubbing down and management overhaul. I end up visiting each time I go to WDW.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Agreed. There are multiple ways to visit MK. Some of us choose to visit and be critical of the park, simply because we care THAT much about it. Others don't visit in that same way, they visit just to have fun. I advise to just have fun if you don't come often enough. Wait until you're here for a month to start looking at things that are wrong with the parks. Because you can't really do both on the same day if you haven't been here in that long of a time.
    -Bill

• I was deleted.

I grew up visiting Disneyland and it does have the number one spot in my heart.. but each visit to Walt Disney World must contain a bit of Magic Kingdom! While Disneyland is quite superior, (especially since that is what you are used to) there are some great elements to the Magic Kingdom that make it unique and enjoyable all the same. Here are some of the fun attractions I feel I must do when visiting the Magic Kingdom... and hopefully as a Disneylander you've missed part of these aspects as well.

• Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    • Country Bear Jamboree
    • Mickey’s Philhar Magic
    • Space Mountain (use FP... it's not like Disneyland's, but still has a fun kick to it!)
    • Splash Mountain
    • TTA
    • Walt Disney World Railroad
    • Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress
    • Wishes!

We just went to WDW for the first time this past March. I felt a little weird at the MK, because it was so familiar, yet so different. I really enjoyed it. I loved having more breathing room while walking around the park! The Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch was great. My favorite part was geting to ride the TTA and seeing the Country Bear Jamboree. I personally would devote a whole day to MK and ride all the things not available at Disneyland and also some of the E-ticket rides. We actually spent 3 days at MK, and I could have done more if we had more time. I think it depends on how many total days you have. I would want to do 2 at Epcot, one at AK, one at MGM and anything left over for MK (since that's your least favorite of the parks). MGM was my least favorite, but I think that's because we were almost at the end of our trip, I had blisters and I was SOOOO tired by then.

Hope you have a great time!
    I'd rather be at Disneyland!

• KING OF CABMF'S

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney View Post

I am just going to suggest that you go, because alot has changed since 2000.
    POTC has changed.
    there are new attractions (like PhillharMagic and Stitch's great escape)
    but also the park has really changed alot since then.
    plus there are rides at MK that DLR does not have, so in my opinion, go for it
    ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
    1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
    2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
    3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
    4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
    5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
    6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
    7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
    8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
    9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
    AND FINALLY...
    10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
    [:

• Defying gravity

Mega Disney,
    How long is your trip? If time permits, I would give MK a day. The east side of the park is severely lacking. Tomorrowland is the ugliest land with the worst attractions of any Disney park that I've seen, IMO. Fantasyland is also lacking. However, I do like the theme and design of Adventureland and Frontierland.

Rides/attractions that you should go on: (compared to DL)
    Splash Mountain - longer, more elaborate
    Tom Sawyer Island - bigger
    Snow White - actually has a clear ending!
    Mickey's Philharmagic - best 3D show ever!!!
    "it's a small world" - (better inside, lacking facade) brighter, has recently
    been refurbished
    Country Bear Jamboree - not in DL anymore
    Jungle Cruise - more elaborate, longer

Rides/attractions to avoid: (compared to DL)
    Space Mountain - no soundtrack, bumpy, boring, out of date
    Tomorrowland - cross between cartoon land and 70s attractions
    Fantasyland - lacking several of DL's rides, and the ones it shares just aren't as good
    Tiki Room Under New Management - an abomination!
    Buzz - guns don't come out of their holsters
    Wishes - underwhelming after Remember...Dreams Come True
    Disney Dreams Come True Parade - underwhelming after Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams

I'm sure I missed a few things. Some rides like Big Thunder, HM, PoTC, etc. are all better at DL, but not really "bad" at MK.

Oh yeah, and "new" attractions: - Stitch and the Laugh Floor Comedy Club can be avoided. MLF is cute one time, Stitch is not.

What it comes down to is: The Magic Kingdom is not Disneyland.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!
    Last edited by VeganPrincess; 07-04-2007 at 07:00 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Roo said it best. There is nothing else to say. See it all, and enjoy what you take out of it.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast